Previous topic - Next topic

stevefal

ML junkie idea:

600D ML-Q Concept, ML Junkie Mode
Steve Falcon

a1ex

You can see press/unpress events for:
- half-shutter
- arrow keys (left, right, up, down) - currently used for repeating keys with acceleration
- joystick center - currently used as alternate key for opening ML menu and submenus ( http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#magic_lantern_menu )
- SET on some cameras
- maybe Zoom In on some cameras, not sure

All other buttons send a single "press" event.

I like the junkie idea a lot, going to give it a try. Can be great for a quick glance of all the settings .

Stedda

I've been loosely following this thread... I have to say this proposed junkie mode is the best idea I've seen yet.

Keep up the excellent work guys!
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

scrax

Yeah, something like that I was proposing, great visual stevefal.
I really appreciate your contribution and hope that this discussion will go on like this in future.

/now updating my code to test alex implementation
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

wolf

@stevefal
Looks great, as well as the idea and the whole artwork you propose.

g3gg0

junkie mode: WOW!
very very good idea!
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

wolf

Nice work and good improvement IMHO.
I don't know what the color orange should suggest. Go quick? Don't go? Is it meant to read as a traffic light logic?
And not to forget that some good photographers are color-blinded.
I think that the cell height should be equal like stevefal proposed for a better understanding and appearance of the items

a1ex

It means "not working right now" (e.g. for a movie-only setting enabled in photo mode etc).

scrax

Agree about cell height, orange are function not working with current camera settings/mode  (photo, LV, movie) I think they should be hidden from junkie mode so to have only usable things, or they could be useful in some cases?
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

a1ex

I can try to hide these items, but then you may wonder where it disappeared (you can no longer see the reason why it's hidden).

As it's now, you can see what things you have enabled (and you know that the orange things won't work right now, but you still see that they are enabled).

scrax

Yeah, right.
Actual implementation is good, I like the subtle darker green border in the mockup and the same height cell but those are just small subjective things I think.

What about a way to show the orange cell with an "inverted" black and white color scheme to differentiate them from Working but not active options? Right now orange is a bit too invasive, maybe just put the light gray on bottom and dark grey on font for example.

Or with the background color for the box color and the font white or gray like it's now?

btw: magic zoom don't show nothing in cell when enabled

wolf

Thanks for reply.
I have a sort of gray layer over LV. With Magic_Off it's normal.

1%

i like this idea, shows you what's enabled quickly.

menu to open ML menu a bad idea, some things are only changed in the canon menu, as lumpy as it is. This actually improves one handed operation as there is less menu flipping. "menu" menu would take it back again.

stevefal

Not sure what all the colors mean.

Moving LR could get funky with different heights.
Steve Falcon

a1ex

Basically, the icons can be:

a) Feature can be used in current mode (normal items)
- ON (currently black on green)
- OFF (currently light gray on dark gray)

b) Feature can't be used in current mode (e.g. bitrate in photo mode)
- ON (currently black on light gray, was black on orange)
- OFF (currently dark gray on dark gray)
(in this case, there's a warning message at the bottom explaining why this feature is grayed out)

Optional: indicator for submenu.

I did the menus stretchable for the following reasons:
- to avoid scrollbars (if a menu gets too big)
- with a customized menu, to get decent spacing (try hiding some menus - the layout becomes more "relaxed" and with longer strings)

In the 1-year old ML version, there was a simple menu mode by default, where things that couldn't be used (e.g. photo functions in movie mode) were normally hidden (now they are grayed out). People had trouble finding things in it though.

scrax

Quote from: a1ex on February 10, 2013, 05:03:57 PM
- with a customized menu, to get decent spacing (try hiding some menus - the layout becomes more "relaxed" and with longer strings)

Yes, customizing the menu makes the awesome more awesome, but item hidden in normal menu should not be shared with junkies menu, because now isn't possible to hide all items that (for me) are settings from junkie menu and have those in main menu if needed.
Same thing for items like audio override that ideally can be keep visible only in junkie and hidden in main menu

wolf

Can somebody try LV and check if there is a grey layer like I can observe.
http://i.imgur.com/RLg1j0W.jpg

scrax

Quote from: wolf on February 10, 2013, 05:38:03 PM
Can somebody try LV and check if there is a grey layer like I can observe.
http://i.imgur.com/RLg1j0W.jpg

not on mine, scripts sometimes don't stop even hello world keeps running till switch off.

wolf

Still there. An older version of ML works fine for me.
Have you tried LV with a dark setting, too high aperture or too high speed?

Edit:
Seems to be gone. Don't know why. Sorry my mistake.

a1ex

Ultimate customizability - you can create a small junkie menu and have all other items in main menu. Or viceversa, if you prefer.

wolf

Much better without blue row line IMHO.
But sometimes I wonder, maybe I'm the only one, where the next sidestep leads to.

Edit:
I like to add that I think the menu entry line at the bottom on top of the help text is not really needed.
The help text gives enough information for a ML junkie, I don't need even the help text ;)
It would also free horizontal space.

a1ex

Here's my dashboard:

If there's enough space, it switches to large font.

Everything else is in the normal menu.

scrax

Quote from: wolf on February 10, 2013, 07:14:20 PM
Much better without blue row line IMHO.
But sometimes I wonder, maybe I'm the only one, where the next sidestep leads to.

Edit:
I like to add that I think the menu entry line at the bottom on top of the help text is not really needed.
The help text gives enough information for a ML junkie, I don't need even the help text ;)
It would also free horizontal space.

You have to hide things and keep same number for each column, get rid of something will be good. I've found 6x6 grid that so far seems good for me.

removed all overlay since will toggle them with LV presets
Quote from: a1ex on February 10, 2013, 08:24:22 PM
Here's my dashboard:

If there's enough space, it switches to large font.

Everything else is in the normal menu.

Nice :)
I've not yet started to use MyMenu it will for sure make my 6x6 smaller...

a1ex

Looks like a very good compromise - if you like a uniform grid layout, you can setup one; if you don't care, you can have 4 items on some columns and 10 on others, it will just work. I like this flexibility.

Canon has the same scrolling inconsistency in the Q menu (at least on 5D2) - the boxes do not have equal sizes.

@scrax: if you choose 5 columns, it will switch to large fonts.