Advice on the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition

Started by menoc, January 24, 2013, 01:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

Hey, does anybody has or have any experience with the GoPro Hero 3 black edition? How has it worked for you?

I have been reading the reviews on Amazon and they are horrid! I want to get several of these little cameras but I'm very taking aback by the negative reviews it's getting. I'm not sure if I should get one!!

I'd rather hear some opinions from you guys . . . not that they might be any different . . .

Malcolm Debono

I guess it depends on what you're going to use it for  ;)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

menoc

Basically, I want to get about 4 of them to cover events (Concerts) with several cameras that can easily be mounted all over the stage. The specs on the Black Edition are pretty good but I'm hesitant to get it because of the negative reviews it's getting on Amazon.  I'm just wondering if people here are also having the camera "Freezing" issues that reviewers on amazon talk about.

ruiz0411

Ok bud the hero3 black Ed is the one to get. Keep in mind how close to the subject you need to position the hero3

dude

Don t trust what they are saying on amazon. Look, i used to work at a camera rental, now for tv and i am filming action sports. i filmed with all cameras from gopro to alexa.
The Balck Edition had a bug, but they fixed it. Compared to other Actioncams, the Gopro is the best (it s not the cheapest by the way).
If you understand that cams like this never ever will reach the quality of a fs700, red, ex1 or even dslr,and are confirm with that, then go for the gopro.

Roman

I think their advertising / promotional videos border on being misleading.

They advertise it as though you can just buy one, stick it on a pole, and then have this amazing crisp clear footage while you do your thing.

When in reality it takes a lot of time/effort setting up mounts etc, minimising vibration, no feedback from the camera till you review the footage after, and needs to be smashed into oblivion with the editing stick to get decent footage, which still wont look 1/10th as good as the promo shots.

They market the hardest to use camera, to the people who are least likely to have used one before.

I realise that a camera doesnt magically include production values etc, but it seems that's kind of implied to the layman user that it's just fire, forget, and upload.

Chungdha

Its ok but have to say you need to still learn the skill of using it as standard version has no monitor for you to frame it with, but there is a wifi app for you phone to see what it is filming. However if you want to film and frame something underwater the wifi can't send any signal through the water. Also the battery life is horrible and just film for one hour and it dies, if you dont have the additional battery pack. So if you buy it still need to get tons of other thing to make life easier to use it.