CF card for 5D-MK2/3 w/ML ??

Started by raf702, January 20, 2013, 09:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raf702

Hey all,

I currently use a Sandisk Extreme 16GB 60mb/s in my 5D-MK2 running the newest ML v2.3.  My issue is when I press the record button in video mode. The buffer will fill up and will immediately stop recording. And I have to wait a few seconds before I can press the record button again. Then it will record normally. And this happens on the initial start up of the camera.

The Bitrate in ML is set to CBR 1.4x, all other settings are in default setting. Also I always format the cf card in camera after off-loading data and before every use.

So now I'm thinking if I should switch to the Sandisk Extreme Pro 90mb/s or to the higher Lexar Pro 800x/1000x CF card.

Should this fix my issue? Because its an annoyance and problem when I'm on set filming and the recording stops once I press the record button. Then having to wait a few seconds before I can press the record button, causing me to re-do the scene that I'm filming.

Malcolm Debono

Do you start recording as soon as you switch on live view? Also, are you running many live view tools (like zebras, histogram, focus peak, etc.)?
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

1%

This happens sometimes on 600D too, i don't think its related to the card. i can start again immediately tho.

raf702

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on January 20, 2013, 09:21:38 PM
Do you start recording as soon as you switch on live view? Also, are you running many live view tools (like zebras, histogram, focus peak, etc.)?

Most of the time yes, once live-view turns on I wait about 2-3 secs then press record. Or when I'm done focusing then I'll record, usually after 5-10 seconds.

I also use the live-view tools: Global Draw ON, all  modes: Focus peak, Magic zoom, histogram, waveform, cropmarks

raf702

Quote from: 1% on January 20, 2013, 09:25:33 PM
This happens sometimes on 600D too, i don't think its related to the card. i can start again immediately tho.

I see, I keep thinking it's card related that it's not fast enough for ML. But I can't confirm nor know how to confirm if it's card related.