Video/Audio Sync Beep

Started by Yomommassis, January 02, 2013, 03:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yomommassis

I noticed that the nightly builds have a magic lantern beep in the menu for testing purposes
(I think this is also there in the 7D and 5D MK3 alpha)

Would It be possible to enable some kind of video feature that emits a quick beep sequence at the beginning of video recordings to take the place of a clap board/slate?

What are you thoughts?
maybe the beep wouldn't be sufficient in being a sync but maybe a fast enough and loud enough beep would do the trick
this would really help with run-n-gun one man shows where syncing with an audio recorder might otherwise be troublesome
EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
f/2.8 70-200MM L USM | f/1.4 50mm USM | f/1.4 35mm L USM | T/1.5 24mm
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

deleted.account.01

Quote from: Yomommassis on January 02, 2013, 03:25:40 PM
I noticed that the nightly builds have a magic lantern beep in the menu for testing purposes
(I think this is also there in the 7D and 5D MK3 alpha)

Would It be possible to enable some kind of video feature that emits a quick beep sequence at the beginning of video recordings to take the place of a clap board/slate?

What are you thoughts?
maybe the beep wouldn't be sufficient in being a sync but maybe a fast enough and loud enough beep would do the trick
this would really help with run-n-gun one man shows where syncing with an audio recorder might otherwise be troublesome

LOL

and what u say aboute this...

stay front of your video recorder and start recording...Clap hands ...and use this for synhro..but with slow card even this not hellp u

Edit:

btw...  all usb audio recivers what u use for real time recording ALWYAS will have Audio Dealey..no matter what camera u use.. i sugest rec stright  to camera not outside or use some external audio recorder what is not connected to camera.. i dont thng even most expensive 5D III are maded in Video recording puropse..u can use it for lame weding video or amator raper clips..but forget if u want go pro..u can lie your self of cours but u not change true

Yomommassis

In my free time I shoot local musicians perform free live shows at local coffee shops
I set up a Zoom H4n sound recorder as a room mic to record high quality live audio and I sit a few feet away in the audience with a ~50mm ~85mm focal length recording an hour to an hour and a half with cuts in between each song to save card space

For what I do I could see the benefit of a feature that would emit a beep from the camera when I press record to assist with syncing in post

Yes I could just sync with sounds from the room, or by using plugins, but I just thought I would suggest this rather small gimmicky feature in the feature request section
If this is too pointless of a feature I understand
EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
f/2.8 70-200MM L USM | f/1.4 50mm USM | f/1.4 35mm L USM | T/1.5 24mm
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

deleted.account.01

Quote from: Yomommassis on January 20, 2013, 01:14:43 AM
In my free time I shoot local musicians perform free live shows at local coffee shops
I set up a Zoom H4n sound recorder as a room mic to record high quality live audio and I sit a few feet away in the audience with a ~50mm ~85mm focal length recording an hour to an hour and a half with cuts in between each song to save card space

For what I do I could see the benefit of a feature that would emit a beep from the camera when I press record to assist with syncing in post

Yes I could just sync with sounds from the room, or by using plugins, but I just thought I would suggest this rather small gimmicky feature in the feature request section
If this is too pointless of a feature I understand

no ..better not use ``somesound`` .. cus if u use sound what is far from u u can have not precise synhro in  audio after few minutes..cus sounds need time to come to mic..hand clap its most eazy some 40 centymeters from lens..software for synhro not make u pro..its for lazy peoples..problem with speed of sound is big when u recording form few cams ..but still when u will thng before u pres rec button everything can be s oeazy in edyting...

tip..dont use this auto synh software...for one track XDDDD ?  this is wast of time..u can synh faster onee track audio with one track video than software ca ndo it..

SoundForge and sonyVegas ( in sony Vegas remember to TurnOff Quantize to frame ) its give u way for move audio nad video with out restrictions .. and u learn in this way how eazy is synhro..

Edit :

i thng everything what is usefull for us never is pointles..i woudl liek to have in ML Equalizers or compresor or  or or ..but for someone  it can be pointles..alsow will be cool to have stuff what can record Wave with Sound motion detector sometnhg..but it can be poinltes to.. ;)..its not for me decide what is  and what is not pointles

Mikkel

An old trick, is to film the timecode on the display on the audiorecorder at start
mikkel

-Sorry i am new to DSLR video, i can see it could be rather impractical every 12(?)min.
Canon 600D, HV20, Leica D-lux 3, CZJ Biotar 7,5cm/1,5 T, CZJ Triotar 13,5cm/4,0 T, CZJ Flektogon 35/2,4 MC, SMC Pentax-A 50/1,7, Pentacon 135/2,8 , Tamron xr di II 17-50/2,8 , Miller tripod, and Mac