CompactFlash to SSD adapter for 5DM3 or 5DM2

Started by moroz, January 19, 2013, 04:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moroz

Hello,
i was wondering if it is possible to attach a CF to 2.5" SSD adapter to the 5DM2 or 5DM3 CF slot.
the benefit will be a higher transfer rate and cheaper storage.
for example we can attach an adapter like this one: http://cgi.ebay.fr/CF-Compact-Flash-Type-I-II-to-2-5-SATA-Serial-Adapter-/330622187624?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item4cfa9e3868
(the CF female side should be a 2 to 3 inch cabled dummy CF card)
one of the problem would be related to the power supply system. but i can't see what could be the other obstacles...?
what do you think?
Cheers

nanomad

No beacuse that adapter works the other way around  ;)
It converts a CF to a SATA disk
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

scrax

I don't think such adapter exist and you will have to find a way to close the card door for the camera to power up.
Once done max speed will still be the one of the camera CF reader/writer.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

moroz

moroz

nanomad:
the idea is to transfer the write data directly to the SSD via a CF input
we can also find "Sata to CF"  adapter on ebay

scrax:
maybe we can find a way to connect a thin cable to the CF slot and file a millimeter of  the card  door ?

Francis

Try it out and let us know how it goes. You might also be able to find the trigger pressed by the closed card door and manually keep it pressed while leaving the door open.

moroz

hello Francis,
now that we have RAW video on the 5DM3 , it seems that some people are converging toward a question i asked 5 mnths ago
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5470.25

cheers

Malex

it would be amazing if they manage to do it!   :o

mucher

Comparing with SSD, CF card prices are ridiculously high, can I understand that CF cards are more difficult or more expensive to produce?

jonnyginese

Cameras: 5D3 | 60D
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5
Zoom Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 80-200 2.8 L

beroccaboy

i just created an account to say you are a genius and your idea is ahead of its time! well done; if i was a betting man, i'd bet there will be a commercial solution one day but unfortunately not today :( i googled exactly this and found your post.  it reminds me that about 20 years ago i was bringing my pc to friends parties as an mp3 music jukebox.  great idea!

leomaverick

"i just created an account to say you are a genius" I agree with your statement. I still looking for a solution based on this concept: Plug into Canon MK II or MK III a Female Compact Fash pin adapter to USB 3 or SSD interface. Does anybody found something??

albert-e

FYI, let me assure that I'm not discouraging anyone to stop this project but I have done this awhile ago. The technology advancement of memory cards today are faster or equal that of the SSD drive; pushing to achieve the goal of Compact Flash-to-IDE or Compact Flash-to-SATA requires amount of time . I hope you succeed. Here's link to an initial step I did back then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWujIUStJYM