Folow Focus in Manual Mode

Started by deleted.account.01, January 18, 2013, 01:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deleted.account.01

hi..on start sry for not precise english

i just start with new seting in Magic Lantern 2.3V ... Folow Focus... this stuff is just WOW after i start using it but.. if i understand it good its only for Video recordings ?..

Just moment ago i was try use Folow Fosuc on Step 1 ( WOW ) in Manual mode .so Stills shoting none video..
Folow Focus with step 1 ( step 3 is hard for me to understand why is there ) .. i  set my T3i on Manual with  Folow Focus on. and Auto Focus ON on my Lenss ( standard 18-55 no usm III kit ),,

with Step 1 i can set focus so precise and what is most importand FAST ..i planing to use it on 300 mm lens and Astrophotography.but there is `problem` .. everything works grate but when  i set focus with buttons +- and im ready to make Shot  i push Shuter button and auto focus from lens  again focusing :/  .. this Folow Focus  going to be so uselfull and power full for me when i use 300mm lens with out stabilizer  so  i ll be able to focus Stars faster .. there is some way to stop focusing again after  i push Shot button ?  i focus object with Folow Focus in AutoFocus on lens but when im ready  to shot camera again focusing object...camera dont have  chances to Focus Automaticly objects like Stars..not enought contrast ?or light..

how i can use  Folow Focus when i shoting Stills ? its possible ?

Francis

Turn off Liveview autofocus under the Canon menus.

deleted.account.01

i dont have option Turn off Liveview autofocus ...

this what i have its :

AF mode :
-Live Mode
-:)LiveMode
-QuickMode

and

Live View Shoot :
-eneble
-disable

..when i set AF mode to QuickMode camera sounding like taking shots but shots are not taken + i can hear small focus changes on lens..alsow when i little move camera left right there is AF . so when i will start taking lets say time lapse and clouds come camera start focusing.but still i geting none photos even camera  making sounds like taking shots.but nothng is saved on card..

i was try find  Turn off Liveview autofocus in  CustomFunctions(C.Fn) but there is none  options to Turn off Liveview autofocus

Edit..:

looks like it not works on my camera.. need to stay with my precise hands.thx anyway

deleted.account.01

Quote from: Francis on January 18, 2013, 01:05:59 AM
Turn off Liveview autofocus under the Canon menus.

well i thng i just found your sarcasticthing Francis.. there is no optionlike these..there issome butis called extreamly in another and opositeway..

but i thng i know where is your sarcasticpoint in this... ML is cool but not in thisway man..bye

edit :

next time u can say  go to google if u need advice...

Francis

There was no sarcasm. I sincerely thought that could be an option. I have never had this problem but I just turn the focus ring to manually focus.

deleted.account.01

Quote from: Francis on January 18, 2013, 04:23:42 AM
There was no sarcasm. I sincerely thought that could be an option. I have never had this problem but I just turn the focus ring to manually focus.

i not say  its problem..its more new way for me than problem..
i just found out i can use Folow Focus in still shots with ML .. i got that -f +f ++f --f i was able to use arrow buttons to corect sharpnes ( focus ) ..but always when i push shot button camera start to auto focusing .. so in this way my seting up focus with arrows with out touching focus ring was usless cus camera after this change everytthing..in low light this T3i and AF its usles stuff camera is jsut blind ..
so i decide ask how to set this option up..i not say its problem cus for me it looks like part of ML so u guys knwo what happend and how set it up ..

i not found option saying turnoff af in liveview.. but i found something diferente..
its in Custom Functions(C.Fn)  .. later i go to C.FnIV: Operation/Others/Shuter/AE Lock Button  (whatever means AE )

i got there :

0:AF/AE Lock
1:AE Lock/AF
2:AF/AF Lock, no AE Lock
3:AE/AF, no AE Lock

when i set option 3 or 1 i can use folow focus in M mode to control focus with out touching ring..
im not sure if  Folow Focus and End Focus Point are connected to work together or not but ..when i set lens on 18mm i got some changes in FocusEndPoint even before i turnoff FocsuEndPoint..it always back to ON..so in 18mm FEP seting them self to -22 steps.. this give me some 36 steps in focus from one end soft focus to another..so i must click 36 times arrow button to reach another end of focus..this is wit 18mm ... with 55mm on start i got in FEP +432 steps from here.but im not sure how big range of focus steps is in 55mm ..defenetly is muche more..cus i need keep pushed arrow buton around 32 second to reach another end of focus..its mean tis is super precise Manual Focusing in AutoFocusON on lens ..(its looks like this option was not included in ML or its soem cool bug or its part of ML )

when i select option 0 or 2 from
Custom Functions(C.Fn)  .. later i go to C.FnIV: Operation/Others/Shuter/AE Lock Button
all this is impossible to do .. still i can use folow focus in M mode but when i push Shot button camera focusing sometinhg and kiling my focus..

but there is one more cool thng in this..when i got selected option 3 or 1 still i can use this what i jsut describe .. but it not mean i cant use Full Auto Focus from Lens..when i push zoom out button ( i use this button for zoomout photos in fast preview on camera ) camera reacting same as i use before half pushed shot button .i mean zoom out button with this setings works like button for Auto Focus ..but it not make shot just auto focusing .. ineed after tis push shot button in my remove or on camera body for make shot..

this is very cool thing for me..i got shit lenses.. my main lens its 18-55 II i thing and focus ring got some jumps and all moving up and down..sometimes precise focusing is realy anoying on this lens..but this is only 55mm.. more anoying stuff coming when i use 300mm with out stabilizer wit same jumping focus ring and clearancesand all single even smalltouche  of lens when ifocusing make it extreamly  not comfortalbe . (i hope clearances was translated ok)  .. but now with this stuff ..i dont need touching lenss to set focus aka sharpnes ..

sry Francis if I was a to direct in previous post

Edit :

sometimes ( notalways ) when im close to reach one end of Focus wit Arrows i got message on screan.. Focus Error :( ,, but nothing Error happend for me.. .. its jsut message .. no error or bug is visible or somethng..

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 21, 2013, 12:58:31 PM
ehmm... doesnt your lens have a switch to disable AF?

yes my less got it..but when i turnOff  AF on Lenss i Can`t use Folow Focus in M mode in way like i describing here..

when i turnOff AF on Lens in M mode .. ML and Folow Focus give me info what is :

Follow Focus requires autofocus enebled

when i turnOff it all these just dont work in way i describe..
i found my way and everythng is fine..but only with Autofocus Enebled on lenss

Quote from: mr.vijayaraghavan on January 21, 2013, 06:06:27 PM
AE means Auto Exposure.  Through canon custom options, Autofocus activation may be shifted from the Shutter button to the AE Lock (*) button.  This is the famous Back-button focus invented by Canon in the eighties.  So, amongst the following you can choose either Option 1 OR Option 3 to transfer the FOCUSING JOB from the shutter button to the AE Lock button (*)at the back;

Whatever is written before the (/) mark refers to how the shutter button functions when it is half depressed AND whatever is written after the (/) mark refers to how the AE Lock (*)button functions.  For example, Option 1 says: AE Lock/AF.  This means that the Shutter Button functions as Auto Exposure Lock (it doesn't autofocus) AND the back button (i.e. AE Lock button marked as `*' functions as Auto Focus.  So, if you want to autofocus, you must depress the back-button.

I think this explains AE Lock button and perhaps solves your problem.

one more time who say i got  problem with some thng ? if any one haveproblme its not me only u

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

deleted.account.01

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 21, 2013, 12:58:31 PM

yes my less got it..but when i turnOff  AF on Lenss i Can`t use Folow Focus in M mode in way like i describing here..

when i turnOff AF on Lens in M mode .. ML and Folow Focus give me info what is :

Follow Focus requires autofocus enebled

when i turnOff it all these just dont work in way i describe..
i found my way and everythng is fine..but only with Autofocus Enebled on lenss

Edit :

well..looks like this post waithing for aprove...so clear

mr.vijayaraghavan

AE means Auto Exposure.  Through canon custom options, Autofocus activation may be shifted from the Shutter button to the AE Lock (*) button.  This is the famous Back-button focus invented by Canon in the eighties.  So, amongst the following you can choose either Option 1 OR Option 3 to transfer the FOCUSING JOB from the shutter button to the AE Lock button (*)at the back;

Whatever is written before the (/) mark refers to how the shutter button functions when it is half depressed AND whatever is written after the (/) mark refers to how the AE Lock (*)button functions.  For example, Option 1 says: AE Lock/AF.  This means that the Shutter Button functions as Auto Exposure Lock (it doesn't autofocus) AND the back button (i.e. AE Lock button marked as `*' functions as Auto Focus.  So, if you want to autofocus, you must depress the back-button.

I think this explains AE Lock button and perhaps solves your problem.