Nightly build installation

Started by natasha_r, January 15, 2013, 11:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natasha_r

Hi,

I have already installed magic lantern version 2.3. Now, i would like to try the latest nightly build. Is it possible for me to keep 1 card with the official 2.3 release and another card with the nightly build and just switch the card whatever the version I want to use.

For example, if i put the card with the nightly build on it, will the camera recognize automatically the firmware without other manipulation on my part or do I have to install it via the firmware menu.

Thank you

Francis

Yes that is possible. It is the autoexec.bin file that is updated in the nightly builds so replacing that file is all that is necessary after preparing the second card. Check out this section of the installation guide to find out how to use multiple cards with Magic Lantern.

natasha_r

Thank you Francis,

So if I understand correctly, when i put the card with the new autoexec.bin file in the camera and press the trash can, it's the nightly build menu that will appear. I have nothing more to do.

Francis

No, you have to prepare the card and make it bootable as well.

There are 2 ways to do this. 1) Using 1 of the card utilities mentioned in that Installation guide I posted or 2) going through the Firmware update process like you did on your initial install with ML.

In either case, the 2nd card has to have all of the appropriate files on it including the autoexec.bin, the ML folder, and the appropriate .fir if you are going to use the Firmware update method.

But yes, that file is where the changes between the stable version and nightly reside.

natasha_r

ok, now I think I understand -I hope ;)

So, the simplest way to try the nightly build would be to replace the autoexec.bin that is on the already bootable card that contains the 2.3 version with the autoexec.bin from the nightly build. And then, when i put the card in the camera, the new menu will appear when I press the trash can.

And if I want to go back to the 2.3 version, i only have to replace the autoexec.bin file again.

Doing that, i don't have to go to the firmware update process.

Does it make sense ?

Thanks for your patience

Audionut

Quote from: natasha_r on January 16, 2013, 01:59:48 AM
And if I want to go back to the 2.3 version, i only have to replace the autoexec.bin file again.

Doing that, i don't have to go to the firmware update process.

That's correct.

natasha_r

scrax

For win EOS Boot will do all what is needed, probably even downloading last nightly.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-