Set metered exposure quickly in Manual - Green button

Started by kozley, January 15, 2013, 01:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kozley

I like to shoot in (M)anual mode. What I don't like is to adjust the exposure (aperture+shutter+iso) each time I change the subject, which happens a lot e.g. during wedding.

What I imagine could be my perfect workflow would look like this:
Want to shoot a scene in M  > Find neutral part of it (nor shadows, nor sky) > Press (or hold) a button (e.g. *) so that aperture/shutter adjusts in the same manner as they would in Av/Tv mode. > Release (or press again) that button and exposure stays set and fixed (M mode).

In other words: I'd like to be able to switch quickly to Av/Tv, meter a correct exposure, and switch back to M.

The same functionality is provided on Pentax cameras by so called Green Button.
Quote: "The green button doesn't change from M (manual) mode to any other mode - it leaves you in M mode. It just momentarily gives you the effect of being in one of those other modes (which one depends on how you've set it up in your custom options) - setting the same aperture and/or shutter speed that you'd get it you were in one of those other modes, but then leaving that set. As opposed to constantly readjusting as the light changes."

From PentaxForums.com: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html#ixzz2I2xP9SmI

I went through all nine pages of feature requests and haven't seen similar one. I'm sorry if that has already been discussed.
2x 5D2 | Canon 20/2.8 | Sigma 35/1.4 | Sigma 85/1.4 | Canon 135/2L | Canon 24-70/2.8L | 70-200/4L IS

nanomad

Isn't that the same functionality provided by AE lock in semi-auto modes?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Audionut

Switch to Av/Tv mode and meter scene.  Take note of settings and apply to M mode.

If you need to keep pressing the "green" button, you should probably just stick Av/Tv.

Also note, that the exposure meter still works in M mode.

brapodam

Quote from: Audionut on January 16, 2013, 02:32:07 AM
Switch to Av/Tv mode and meter scene.  Take note of settings and apply to M mode.

If you need to keep pressing the "green" button, you should probably just stick Av/Tv.

Also note, that the exposure meter still works in M mode.
I think this could be useful in some situations. For instance, changing from a long shutter speed to a fast one. Instead of turning the dial for about 5 seconds, just press the button and it does everything for you.

kozley

Quote from: nanomad on January 15, 2013, 06:17:14 PM
Isn't that the same functionality provided by AE lock in semi-auto modes?
Yes and no.
If you usually take several similar photos (as I do, because people change expressions quickly, blink, ...), you would use this "green button" only for the first shot and then the expo would stay fixed. In semi-auto modes, AE lock clears after every shot :-(
2x 5D2 | Canon 20/2.8 | Sigma 35/1.4 | Sigma 85/1.4 | Canon 135/2L | Canon 24-70/2.8L | 70-200/4L IS

bm

This sounds very usefull function! I thinks *-button would be right button for this function, because AE-Lock is not used on M mode. Usually *-button is AE-Lock. Is this possible to development?

Canon development seems very funny. Canon has not make any improvements to M-mode. On the ML we found many improvements to M-mode which really really help on photographing! Thanks for every developer!

scrax

Most of the improvements comes from user suggestions like yours, so it's a collaborative effort :)
* button seem usable, but not sure if this will cause problem with already incamera functions.
Going to another mode without using the mode dial is not safe, so ML has to calculate and set exposure (P, Av or Tv could be the same I think) without leaving M mode.

If understood correct it will need an option in expo or shoot menu to enable it and set if working like P, Av or Tv.
Once set when in M mode we press * and ML calculates and set correct expo values.
There is no exp. override in M also so maybe we should adjust a little those value if needed.

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

bm

There is no reason go to another mode. It is good if ML can calculate and set exposure on M mode.

I think you understand it right!

kozley

Scrax, thats exactly how I was imagining it!
I've discussed this topic with some of my photofriends and they all agree this would be very useful feature.

kozley

Quote from: scrax on January 16, 2013, 10:54:43 PM
* button seem usable, but not sure if this will cause problem with already incamera functions.
I'm not familiar with DryOS internals, but as * button does exactly nothing in M mode, it seems quite safe to use it, doesn't it?

a1ex

No, it's very hard to detect. I'd go for SET instead.

And yes, the * button does autofocus.

kozley

Quote from: a1ex on January 17, 2013, 09:58:37 AM

And yes, the * button does autofocus.

I agree, it doesn't seem wise any more to use * :-)
* button originally does nothing, but one can swap it with AF-ON (on 5D2) or assign it various functions on other bodies (7D), so it'd probably be hard to cover.

SET is perfectly OK too.

scrax

SET also could be assigned to some feature in C.Fn. (at least on 600D)
Also actually ML is (optionally) using SET for expo preset, so this will mean that we will be forced to chose one function or another.
Av+/- is not easy to detect or it will be perfect imho

Another way to use SET could be to make it working with long press instead, so we will keep SET pressed until we see the expo value change, and then we can release it, when a single press is done it will work as usual (so it could trigger ML function or C.Fn function).

Quote from: a1ex on January 17, 2013, 09:58:37 AM
I can see the GUI numbers it send when pressed, but are the same as halfshutter, zoom in instead to me seems to send only a pressed GUI event 0xf, could it be right? I saw that it's not in consts.c for 600D, and I have a little fear to screw things up by trying it blindly.
Will take a look how MZ is triggered to find more info.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

bm

Could it be user selectable button like Expo.Preset? Expo.Preset is selectable for Set- and Info-button. I vote this function to *- and Set-button :)

Stedda

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

alexw

Was this feature ever implemented? I could SWEAR I've used it before, but I wiped out my ML settings accidentally and I can't figure out for the life of me what to turn on again.