DSLRs with video noise reduction?

Started by c2s07, January 08, 2013, 07:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c2s07

Just curious about how it is these days. The 500D I bought in 2009 was the first Canon DSLR to shoot video clips. Understandably, it doesn't feature real-time, in-camera video noise reduction.

But now that time has passed and processing power increased, has this become possible with more recent models? If I've understood correctly, 5DMk 3 can do this on videos in real-time, and C300 as well, I assume.

What about the latest xxDs and xxxDs?

1%

As a general rule though NR in camera is pretty crappy and not worth doing. 6D has new JPEG in camera HDR and the alignment is terrible compared to what I do on the PC. Some of the JPEG processing happens to H.264 so it might be worth seeing if enabling jpeg noise reduction does anything to the video.

6D just has the feature listed as high iso noise reduction but its on the photo menu. 6D is just 5d3 with no CF card and a crappier sensor.

c2s07

Thanks for the reply, 1%.

One reason why I'm asking is that since video cannot be shot RAW like stills can, I usually try have as much post-processing as possible completed before the video compression and the conversion to 8-bit takes place. Fine-tuning things like exposure and  picture style parameters. And here I was wondering if it was possible to expand that thought into noise reduction too, not that I have applied noise reduction to videos that much so far, but I was merely curious if it would be beneficial to do so (videos with increased ML digital ISO can get quite noisy). But if you think there's little point in looking into this, I can believe you.

I guess the lower resolution of videos is a consideration in this as well: with less detail to start with, noise reduction can't afford to destroy any more of it, and would have to be very carefully done.

About 6D (not about video NR anymore, though):

It's an interesting looking option, but I'm seeing full frame for less than 2000 € and wondering what's the catch. How does its video quality rank among DSLRs? Severe moire from what I've read, yes, but at least the low-light noise performance should be superior to most other models - maybe even surpassing 5D3 considering a similar sensor with slightly larger pixels?

1%

It seems to have a higher ISO range but video looks pretty much like 600D video. I haven't hit the moire yet but I assume its worse because of the lack of crop video and having to resize a larger sensor.

I don't really know what 5dIII has that 6D doesn't besides the CF slot. Doesn't seem to be a catch yet from using it. Audio works with much higher bit rates from testing it.

Mikkel

I think i read somewere that the 600D i got, use 24bit/48Khz sound (noncompressed), in the manuel it just says linear PCM, so it would be strange if 6D use higher bitrate?
Mikkel
Canon 600D, HV20, Leica D-lux 3, CZJ Biotar 7,5cm/1,5 T, CZJ Triotar 13,5cm/4,0 T, CZJ Flektogon 35/2,4 MC, SMC Pentax-A 50/1,7, Pentacon 135/2,8 , Tamron xr di II 17-50/2,8 , Miller tripod, and Mac