Battery Grip issue 600D+ML2.3

Started by dexMilano, January 05, 2013, 11:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dexMilano

Hello everyone.
New to the forum and new to ML.
First of all Hello to everyone and thatnks for ML, really useful to improve capability of the camera

Now the facts
I own a new 600D and on the 3r Jan to make a startrail I downloaded ML 2.3.
I checked the version of the firmware before installing is the 1.0.2.
Everything was ok but now I've a weird behavior with the battery grip I tried to use with the startrail.
My BG is a "smart" one because it gives the possibility to have command also for vertical photo.
This is exactly the model
http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B006I3VAKM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
and worked perfectly before installing ML.

Now the issue.
If the BG is connected, the zoom feature of the play mode on the camera does not work at all.
If the BG is connected and I switch ON, the LCD disappeared.
If the BG is removed, the camera seems to work perfectly.
I didnt check this with ML because I uninstall it soon after the starTrail.

Now, I think the issue is in ML that removed some settings on the port that is available in the battery slot.
Before ML the BG worked perfectly.
Also uninstalling ML and reflashing the 1.0.2 downloaded from the canon site, didn't fix the problem.

This feature of the BG is very relevant for the use I did with the camera, so any suggestion solution is really welcome.

PS I didn't post in the broken camera because the camera is working.

Thanks in Advance for your collaboration.

dex

Francis

Possibly the on/off switch enabling the secondary buttons is broken. Sometimes you do get what you pay for with non-OEM grips and other accessories.

dexMilano

Very strange the exact coincidence.
Also the switch do something.

However as soon as I can I'll try the BG on another camera to check it.

Thx Francis

dex

scrax

Reset camera settings and C.Fn., re-flashing the firmware is useless since it's unchanged.
Also check if the problem is present in all mode on the dial.

How did you uninstalled ML?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

dexMilano

Hi Scrax.
I just reset camera settimgs and custom function.
I did 3 times with and withou the BG connected.
The problem is present in every mode on the dial (the wheel on the top of the camera P/Tv/Av/M...)

I uninstalled ML with the described procedure:
firmware update as normal
after it the screen say to change position in the dial different from P/Tv/Av/M
I go to A-Dep
Succesfully uninstall.

dex

1%

I have the MEIKE grip with none of these issues. Been using it for at least months now, it never comes off.

dexMilano

Hi 1%
Also mine was perfect.
I'm afraid ML did something that the uninstall procedure was not able to restore.
I didn't test the BG with ML.

:-[

1%

I think your grip has an issue. I've always used ML and my grip looks the same. All functions work. Probably time to buy another from a different, better Chinese maker.

Grip for 600D was not as good quality as grip for 400D. Also I see grips with LCD's and using the wrong type of battery. Found complaints when I was shopping so I picked one that that had the least.

dexMilano

It is confirmed the issue is related to the BG.
:-[