Corrupted files when downloading from SD card

Started by jbuy41, January 02, 2013, 06:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbuy41

Happens frequently when trying to transfer my Raw files from SD 16g card.  I use Canon software or just copy paste.  Using ML v2.3 build 2012-07-23 on a 550D. Copying to D drive.  Some not all files corrupted. Usually have to format the drive to get rid of them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

scrax

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

jbuy41

Francis

Does it happen with multiple cards or just one? SD cards have a limited life.

jbuy41

Francis

AFAIK ML doesn't change anything about the way files are written to the card. Perhaps time for a new reader. The one in my laptop crapped out on me after about 2 years.

nanomad

Indeed.. It's either the reader of the camera itself
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Malcolm Debono

Your best bet is to try using another card reader (you can check with a friends' before buying a new one!).

On a side note, I would like to add that I don't trust laptop card readers anymore after an SD card was stuck and got broken inside (luckily no important data was on the card).
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

jbuy41

Formatted harddrive again today.  Try another reader.  Been using the laptop one. 

Thanks for your replies.  You guys are do a terrific job!!

jbuy41

I think I found a solution to my problem. I increased my memory buffer size on my laptop.  Running Win7 64.  Did a upload of about 100 files which were mosly raw and so for no corruption.

Using the command prompt as administartor I typed  fsutil behavior set memoryusage 1

jbuy41

Sorry, not 1 but 2.  fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2.