[Already Done] Add Highlight Tone Priority (D+) to ML exposure controls

Started by 1ricca, June 18, 2013, 03:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1ricca

Possible to add an option for Highlight Tone Priority in the first tab of ML menu, preferably right under WB, Shutter, Aperture,ISO?
It seems even more important now more than ever with all the progress in RAW video rec and other things where people need to be more mindful of it being on or off.
I, for one, constantly change it on or off just as much as one would change ISO or shutter speed, depending on the scene.

I had posted about adding HTP or D+ to movie logging, which has been done in the main builds, from what I was told.
I feel like HTP has remained a strangely hidden item in Canon's menus and seems to have remained elusive even in the ML menus.
I always add it to my My Menu area in the vanilla menus, but it really deserves a place next to ISO in the ML menu, imo. It would let me free up a much needed slot in the My Menu section of all my cameras too.

HTP is a very powerful and also potentially very harmful setting, both for IQ and for ML under runs and bugs, that often goes unchanged and/or unnoticed on many intermediate users' cameras.

It would be really amazing if some further development went into a ML version of HTP too, since people have come up with ways to improve upon other ISO and exposure related settings before, this would really be great if someone put some work into it! Imagine a way to have the superior highlights rolloff without as much of an intense loss in IQ.

a1ex

Well, it is actually in the ISO submenu.

Highlight rolloff improvements are already there, in the image finetuning menu (only for movie). They work nicely with HTP.

1ricca

Quote from: a1ex on June 18, 2013, 03:29:01 PM
Well, it is actually in the ISO submenu.

Highlight rolloff improvements are already there, in the image finetuning menu (only for movie). They work nicely with HTP.

It is? Like when you press Q on the ML ISO setting? I have not seen it if it's there.

Which settings in fine tuning help or work well with HTP? This is very dear to me, hehe XD

a1ex

Not sure if it's enabled in 650D, but on 5D3 it's working.

1ricca

I found the D+ Setting there. Hadn't noticed the addition there! Works on T4i for sure.
I've been playing around with different combinations, and I hope this isn't too far off track, but been trying to figure out if it's better to keep ML Digital ISO set to -0.3 and choose full stop ISO's all the time or to just use the ISO chooser in ML menu to set it to say 320 vs 400.

So Keep it at -0.0 and choose 320 manually or set to -0.3 and choose 400. Seems like there's an oddly huge difference when D+ is on on my T4i. Doing a bunch of tests with it now to really determine what's up.