recording videos with Canon 60D > 30 minutes through HDMI

Started by mark.farnell, December 30, 2012, 06:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark.farnell

I have a Canon 60D with ML 2.3 installed.  I want to record a continuous HD clip of > 30 minutes with this camera (ie. my camera doubles as a video camera).

The ML manual says that one can stream the footage through the mini-HDMI to an external HDMI recorder to bypass the 12/30 minute restriction.  (For example, the last movement of Beethoven Symphony No. 9 lasts for an hour, non-stop)

I have a few questions:

- Does the HDMI stream only starts when I activate the record button, or is it on all the time?

- Does the HDMI output stream capture the audio from the camera?

- When I want to record a long video (> 30 minutes) through HDMI, should I activate the video record mode (will this mode be subject to the 12/30 minute limitation?), or just the live preview mode?

- In the latter case, when the LCD is cut due to inactivity, the mirror will also be flipped down and cut the video.  Is there a function in the ML menu to suppress this behaviour and ensure liveview is not interrupted?

- Also in the video liveview mode (without recording to the card), if I close the LCD screen, the LCD screen will stop being lit.  However is it possible to do this without stopping the HDMI output stream?  If this is possible, then we can save a lot of battery power.

The above questions may sound stupid to you, but I am only a beginner, and I have just managed to boot my 60D with ML :)

Thanks!

Mark

1%

For HDMI recording, make sure the camera doesn't fall asleep, turn on clear overlays. I think sticky half press shutter will keep it awake as well as turning off power saving modes.

Its only HD while not recording video. You  basically capture the image going to the HDMI monitor. Resolution is a little funky and so is FPS.

On 600D the screen doesn't work when HDMI is plugged in, not sure how it is on 60D but theoretically camera shouldn't be able to process both at the same time.

mark.farnell

Thx.... I have managed to turn off powersaving mode and clear overlay, so the camera no longer shuts off.  Also, the fact that LCD turns off when connected to HDMI is a good thing, as it saves battery power, as well as the LCD screen life :)

However, when I want to record HD video continuously over 30 minutes over the HDMI, then should I use the record mode (press the record button) or just the live-view mode?

If in the latter case, will audio be included in the HDMI stream?

Thanks!

Mark

1%

If you press record HDMI will become SD. Audio probably won't be included.

mark.farnell

okay..... so for HDMI stream, I need to use the liveview mode.......

One more question: I turned on the Misc key->sticky halfshutter, turned off auto off (Canon menu), set the powersave mode to record only (ML) and turn off all three powersave items in ML

However when I leave the camera at the video mode liveview, the mirror still lowers at 30 minutes, and then it goes back up and liveview restarts.  How can I stop that?  Isn't setting the sticky halfshutter already prevents this?  Or do I need to press the halfshutter once?

scrax

Quote from: mark.farnell on December 30, 2012, 11:29:36 PM
However when I leave the camera at the video mode liveview, the mirror still lowers at 30 minutes, and then it goes back up and liveview restarts.  How can I stop that?  Isn't setting the sticky halfshutter already prevents this?  Or do I need to press the halfshutter once?
yep first time you press it it will stay pressed until you repress it when engaged you will se HR on screen for like a second before clean up (i've not tried it for more than some minutes)
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

mark.farnell

Quote from: scrax on December 31, 2012, 05:08:32 AM
yep first time you press it it will stay pressed until you repress it when engaged you will se HR on screen for like a second before clean up (i've not tried it for more than some minutes)

Thanks! so you will press the half-shutter exactly once when you start streaming.

I have just put a feature request for an HDMI streaming function that automatically stream HD to the HDMI output with indefinite length. You can have a look at the feature request section of this forum.