Compile problems on on Debian/Ubuntu system

Started by ml3196390801, August 02, 2012, 08:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ml3196390801

I'm trying to get things to compile on a Debian system for the first time, but I have a few issues. I don't want to brick my camera, so I am asking out of an abundance of caution:

1. Are there any Debian/Ubuntu repositories for the arm toolchain that people are using with success? I think it would be helpful to include platform-specific instructions in the README files.

2. The toolchain/summon-arm script is looking for patch-gcc-4.6.2-config-arm-t-arm-elf.diff in the wrong place.

3. doc/menuindex.py is complaining about "Could not open menuindex.txt". What should I do about this? Is this safe to ignore, or is it a fatal error?

4. doc/menuindex.py is complaining about "mkdir: cannot create directory `cam': File exists". What should I do about this? Is this safe to ignore, or is it a fatal error?

5. ld is complaining about "stat: cannot stat `autoexec.bin': No such file or directory", but then I objcopy creates an autoexec.bin file. What should I do about this? Is this safe to ignore, or is it a fatal error?

Thanks

scrax

Hi,

1. You need to check the links posted here, I'm not on ubuntu
2. Fix the script or put it manually in the right place, it's needed
3. no problem it's for documentation
4. ignore
5. ignore
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

jplxpto

Quote from: ml3196390801 on August 02, 2012, 08:39:20 PM
I'm trying to get things to compile on a Debian system for the first time, but I have a few issues. I don't want to brick my camera, so I am asking out of an abundance of caution:

1. Are there any Debian/Ubuntu repositories for the arm toolchain that people are using with success? I think it would be helpful to include platform-specific instructions in the README files.

2. The toolchain/summon-arm script is looking for patch-gcc-4.6.2-config-arm-t-arm-elf.diff in the wrong place.

3. doc/menuindex.py is complaining about "Could not open menuindex.txt". What should I do about this? Is this safe to ignore, or is it a fatal error?

4. doc/menuindex.py is complaining about "mkdir: cannot create directory `cam': File exists". What should I do about this? Is this safe to ignore, or is it a fatal error?

5. ld is complaining about "stat: cannot stat `autoexec.bin': No such file or directory", but then I objcopy creates an autoexec.bin file. What should I do about this? Is this safe to ignore, or is it a fatal error?

Thanks

I have Ubuntu installed and also got errors 3) and 4).

ml3196390801

Quote from: scrax on August 06, 2012, 12:45:25 AM
Hi,

1. You need to check the links posted here, I'm not on ubuntu
2. Fix the script or put it manually in the right place, it's needed
3. no problem it's for documentation
4. ignore
5. ignore

@scrax: I appreciate your answers answers.

1. I had already followed the instructions that you pointed to, but I was looking for people who have located any Debian/Ubuntu repositories for the arm toolchain.

I am not new to development, but I am new to ML, so I am paranoid about bricking my camera by making a stupid mistake.

I don't mind installing the toolchain outside of the filesystem hierarchy standard (FHS), but that defeats the purpose of having a distribution. It would be great if someone knew of a repository out there that works.

2. Yes, I fixed the script myself, but I was pointing out the error, in case it needed to be fixed for people who need to apply the patch. Should the distributed script itself be fixed?

3 & 4 & 5. Can the setup files and Makefiles be amended so that we don't see these errors, or provide a more informative message? Warnings are fine.

Thanks

ml3196390801

Got it to work on my 600D.

These zebras are fast, w00t!

rocket

3. In files ~/magic-lantern/doc/mkdoc.py and ~/magic-lantern/doc/mkdoc-cam.py you need to replace rst2latex.py with rst2latex

4. Directory already exists, so ignore.

jplxpto

Quote from: rocket on August 10, 2012, 02:24:30 PM
3. In files ~/magic-lantern/doc/mkdoc.py and ~/magic-lantern/doc/mkdoc-cam.py you need to replace rst2latex.py with rst2latex

Thank you!

meeok

Quote from: rocket on August 10, 2012, 02:24:30 PM

I made the edit and ran ~/magic-lantern/doc/mkdoc.py but the menuindex.txt is not generated.
Which script generates this file?