Keeping config between cards

Started by Michael Zöller, April 03, 2013, 03:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Zöller

I now this has been requested before and we have a rather strict policy on not doing any permanent changes except for setting the boot flag and changing some canon menu accessible settings.

But - I have just returned from a multicam, multicard shoot and I found keeping the configuration between different cameras and cards very difficult. And one aspect of it was that whenever we switched cards, we had to update any changes we made to ml config during the shoot (we did obviously sync ml config between all cards before the start of the shoot).

So I was wondering if maybe here is an option to store ml config in canon memory? Maybe there is an area that cannot be used for anything else and where we can safely store a (compressed?) ml config?

Also I'm wondering if maybe there are other options. For example - is it save now to, say save current ml config to card, then swap cards without shutting down the camera and then re-save ml config to the new card? If not - maybe we could add a function that makes it save (ie swap cards keeping config - it would save config, prompt the user to swap cards and re-save config, signaling the user when when everything is safe again.)
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

g3gg0

fully understand that point. i'll look into it.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

You can keep some small bits in the copyright strings, but that's not enough for most settings (maybe store a compressed diff?)

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on April 03, 2013, 07:06:51 PM
You can keep some small bits in the copyright strings, but that's not enough for most settings (maybe store a compressed diff?)

That sounds like an interesting idea (I'd be ok with the ml config and not my name in the cr2/jpg exif data), maybe you find a way to squeeze a compressed config into it after all.

Michael Zöller

Quote from: a1ex on April 03, 2013, 07:06:51 PM
Hmm, how much bytes are those?
neoluxx.de

a1ex

Michael Zöller

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 04, 2013, 07:08:34 AMI'd be ok with the ml config and not my name in the cr2/jpg exif data)
no, not exif - that'd be just storing the config diffrently but still on the card
neoluxx.de

Marsu42

Quote from: Michael Zöller on April 04, 2013, 11:58:50 AM
no, not exif - that'd be just storing the config diffrently but still on the card

But the copyright I set in the Camera is automatically written to the picture files, isn't it? If so, the ml config would also end up there unless ml actively prevents it.

Michael Zöller

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 04, 2013, 08:10:46 PM
But the copyright I set in the Camera is automatically written to the picture files, isn't it? If so, the ml config would also end up there unless ml actively prevents it.
ah, yes. you're right.
neoluxx.de

g3gg0

copyright string seems to be max 64 byte
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

engardeknave

One thing that I never bothered with until recently is customizing the menus. I did this with the grid type menu and it has really made working with ML during a shoot effortless.

Something that might be helpful is a simple function to display what settings have been changed since the camera was turned on, or in the last few hours.

If ML could generate and read QR codes, it would be easy to transfer settings or scripts from one camera to another. That's probably completely impractical though given its limited use.

a1ex

I've added some backend support to detect what settings were changed (compared to ML defaults). Maybe it helps here too.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on April 09, 2013, 10:26:29 AM
I've added some backend support to detect what settings were changed (compared to ML defaults). Maybe it helps here too.

Sounds good, if you just write the changed values as a sequence 64 bytes are a lot - and if the whole changed config doesn't fit in maybe there's a way to mark "important" config values in ml so that when saving to camera it can drop config values that don't really matter.

Just be sure to add a version number that is updated once the ml config sequence is changed, so when reading back we don't get invalid props but the new default config is restored - but you thought of that anyway as "Mr. Brick" :->

scrax

I think that is important to keep the copyright function working, so it should be saved on card during use for something else and then restored if not needed.
For that case is a matter of chose if copyright info are fixed and settings changes one can have the same copyright text on multiple card and ML should use it (or generate from camera) so to have the free secure storage space on camera without loosing copyright function.

for example I have two or more card with my custom copyright text saved in ML/SETTINGS folder those don't change often and are restored when "format and keep ML".When ml starts checks the copyright field and if there are config data loads them and then restore the custom copyright text from the card (if present)
if there are copyright data it copies them to the card if there are none
if there are no copyright data in the canon field or on the card ML show a message/warning

to fill the copyright field with config data we can have a menu item that saves only copyright text to the card and another one that saves the text, fill it with the config data and ask fora new card to be inserted (and nothing more should be allowed or a cancel option maybe)

that one one user can prepare from camera all the card with same copyright text and then perform the config sync from one card to another without losing copyright info
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Marsu42

It's great if you guys save the copyright thing, but for my 2 cents I don't consider it a vital feature except if you're shooting with a digital watermark and cannot alter the file in postprocessing or are uploading it straight to somewhere like with the 6d wifi.

But if it proves a problem imho it's ok to just let users decide if they want the watermark or the config saved in camera.

scrax

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 09, 2013, 05:47:45 PM
It's great if you guys save the copyright thing, but for my 2 cents I don't consider it a vital feature except if you're shooting with a digital watermark and cannot alter the file in postprocessing or are uploading it straight to somewhere like with the 6d wifi.

But if it proves a problem imho it's ok to just let users decide if they want the watermark or the config saved in camera.
It's useful when working with more photographer on same event for example.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-