Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naturalsound

Quote from: tonybeccar on August 20, 2013, 06:12:41 AM
So after several tried, workarounds, taking pics in manual mode, then turning autofocus on, etc etc I managed to get it partially working.. it didnt work all the time.. every now and then I had to swap the AF-MF button on the lens.. :/

I think it is ML related because I think I read around this thread that people had 7D's with autofocus broken... truth is I am really scared about this.. if this is true I won't be able to sell the camera, or take pictures.. am I hallusinating or does this happened before? If so, is there any fix??

BTW I haven't been able to test it with another lens.. but the one that was given was good I believe!!!

I experience a similar behavior:
When exchanging lenses I always have to pull the battery. Otherwise the lens will focus somewhere but not at the spot I want it to. If I pull the battery everything is fine again. I can live with this workaround for now and since I was not sure if anybody is already working on the bug I did not mention it till now. My build is timestamped last week, I think (but I will check).
Maybe related: Dot Tune AFMA is not working properly. It always gets values of +9 to +12 and complains to double check the focus chart.
My manually adjusted values are in the range of -3 to +4.

I really appreciate the work done so far! It's just my feedback to the great developers.

naturalsound

My Version is timestamped aug-06 8:00 something.
Is there a newer one? I tried using EOSCard but I alwas gat this one.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: naturalsound on August 23, 2013, 08:09:26 AM
My Version is timestamped aug-06 8:00 something.
Is there a newer one? I tried using EOSCard but I alwas gat this one.

You can download here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9w5t3lcmgugo32g/Xmn6H066DY

But for you been updated with the latest version's go here
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.0

Pileot

Less of a raw question and more of a general development question:

Has any progress been made on the video recording, especially the FPS override? and exposure overrides?  This sunday I was hoping to use these features on the 7D, im not asking for perfection or completely bug free or anything, but if the devs have anything that generally works I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks! Keep up the great work!

ThLDQ

Good evening Arrinkiiii.
I am lost :
I updated ML Alpha2 from the first link (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9w5t3lcmgugo32g/Xmn6H066DY), and ML doesn't work any more ! Snif
(I noticed that the ML directory only contains a "Modules" directory.
What have I done wrong ?
Regards
Thierry
Maybe I missed something, but there should be only one place where to download the complete ML-7d program

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ThLDQ on August 24, 2013, 07:20:23 PM
Good evening Arrinkiiii.
I am lost :
I updated ML Alpha2 from the first link (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9w5t3lcmgugo32g/Xmn6H066DY), and ML doesn't work any more ! Snif
(I noticed that the ML directory only contains a "Modules" directory.
What have I done wrong ?
Regards
Thierry
Maybe I missed something, but there should be only one place where to download the complete ML-7d program

Hi ThLDQ

Uhmmmmm, can be everything and can be nothing... for sure in no time we will have your 7D RAW machine working like a swiss watch...

-The link from dropbox contains the 2 last versions that britom make to try to fix the freeze of Lv. Im going put in the same link the working and more stable version.  Also what is in that link is just for update your CF card.

-Format card, use EOSCard from Pelican (the last version, i think) and i will update right now the link with the files. With this files you just need to put in your cf card (updating what is necessari. For update we  don't need to have all the files that eoscard make and put in cf card)  ..and everything will be alright.

EDIT:

This is the link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9w5t3lcmgugo32g/Xmn6H066DY

After format and use eoscard just update your autoexec.bin in the root of cf card and the Modules folder en the ML folder is cf card.

Wend you turn on your camera if it say something like " no dir found" just go to ML forlder in cf card and make one folder with the name SCRIPTS.

Hope this help. Anything just let me know, glade to help  :D

Quote from: ThLDQ on August 24, 2013, 07:20:23 PM

I full agree with you. But some times a dev make a version for we try on the fly... I think we should put this working version in the 7D Raw threat http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.0

ThLDQ

Thanks Arrinkiiii,
Something went really wrong : my cf card now freezes my 7d ????!!!! I can't formlat it neither by my Mac, nor by my 7d  :o
Eoscard is surelly a good way to update ML but I'm running a Mac whiwh ignores what Eoscard can be.
Regards
Thierry

ThLDQ

Hi Arrinkiiii
I finally succeeded in formating my cf card, which is now recognized by my Mac and by the 7d.
My problem is that I only have now the modules directory and the autoexec.bin.
Where can I find all the missing directories and files ?
Regards
Thierry

arrinkiiii

Since you dont use eoscard and you need to make your card bootable and have all the folders, go here

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7752.msg67944#msg67944

jphansen

I just installed your Dropbox version - and when I boot it up I get a "scripts dir missing" message? Any idea?
sorry found my answer.. "Wend you turn on your camera if it say something like " no dir found" just go to ML forlder in cf card and make one folder with the name SCRIPTS."

Quote from: Pileot on August 24, 2013, 01:42:20 AM
Less of a raw question and more of a general development question:

Has any progress been made on the video recording, especially the FPS override? and exposure overrides?  This sunday I was hoping to use these features on the 7D, im not asking for perfection or completely bug free or anything, but if the devs have anything that generally works I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks! Keep up the great work!

ThLDQ

Thank you Arrinkiii,
I finally succeeded in reinstalling ML.
I followed the Mac instructions, but there was still a problem (7d freezed), I guess it was because the DCIM and MISC directories had not been created by my 7d... Who knows ???
I formatted twice or three times, on my Mac, on a PC, on the 7d, changed AUTOEXEC.BIN in autoexec.bin and now it works.
The electronic-informatic world is very very very strange  :o
Regards
Thierry
Next time I'll try to use Eoscard on an old PC (it's not because I run Mac that I should not own an old PC - everybody has got candles at home, although everybody uses electrivcity)  ;)

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ThLDQ on August 25, 2013, 07:13:21 PM
Thank you Arrinkiii,
I finally succeeded in reinstalling ML.
I followed the Mac instructions, but there was still a problem (7d freezed), I guess it was because the DCIM and MISC directories had not been created by my 7d... Who knows ???
I formatted twice or three times, on my Mac, on a PC, on the 7d, changed AUTOEXEC.BIN in autoexec.bin and now it works.
The electronic-informatic world is very very very strange  :o
Regards
Thierry
Next time I'll try to use Eoscard on an old PC (it's not because I run Mac that I should not own an old PC - everybody has got candles at home, although everybody uses electrivcity)  ;)

hahaha  ;D 

Good to see that you have manage to put working the new ML.

arrinkiiii

Thierry

Where is the Canon 7D ML Alpha 2 Firmware download link for Mac please?

Pileot

Quote from: Thierry on August 30, 2013, 10:56:55 PM
Where is the Canon 7D ML Alpha 2 Firmware download link for Mac please?

Please kindly read the first post. Or even the last two or three pages. You will find a link to a thread explaining in great detail how to install the latest beta.

Please carefully read that thread as there is information there on how to install on a Mac.

Or if you are lazy, click here:
http://goo.gl/NmIUja 

** edit**
As a side note, i personally find it amusing how many people have clicked that link. Would you believe a hundred! lol.

mburgst

haven't tried the latest builds, but have the audio meters return also to the screen when NOT recording? i'd find this a major design flaw or bug to be honest.. but that's just my two cents.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: mburgst on September 03, 2013, 12:25:20 PM
haven't tried the latest builds, but have the audio meters return also to the screen when NOT recording? i'd find this a major design flaw or bug to be honest.. but that's just my two cents.

Still work in progress. You can follow here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.0

1%

Quotebut have the audio meters return also to the screen when NOT recording?

If its like EOSM there is an ALV task, it doesn't run unless canon volume meters are on. It powers off the audio IC when canon audio meters aren't running or you're not recording. Granted on 7D its probably patchable, on EOSM it froze the camera.

So who's design flaw is it?

feureau

Has anyone ever had focusing issue with the 7D with ML?

In particular, using the 28mm 1.8, sometimes when I mount the lens, it just won't focus, the focusing would hunt and just stops at the closest position, not unlike when failing to focus in dark conditions. Using other focusing method, it would sometimes focus but with horrendous back focus.

I would have to remove the card, and focus a few times, which would nail the focus perfectly, then it would work great. Loading the ML again, it would work perfectly.

This happens to me several times before, only with this lens and I can't seem to reproduce it because it happens so randomly....

Any ideas?

arrinkiiii

I don't remember but some one already have that problem here in ML forum.

StefanKeller.AC

with the first 2 alpha Versions sometimes all but the center focuspoint refused to work (in easy situations to focus)
after restart they all worked properly...
with the latest raw-versions this diddnt happen until now, but I didnt photograph very much with it, more playing with raw-video  ;D ;D

feureau

Well, I'm trying out 1%'s new build he just posted yesterday, and the focusing problem has gotten worse. Now my other lenses would fail to focus. (it would hunt and rest at the closest focus point or have extreme backfocusing).

Restarting without ML wouldn't make it go away. I had to do a battery pull and turn the camera on with MAGIC OFF or use a non-ML card to get the focusing back.

I wonder if anyone else can confirm this? I find that other guy with the same problem with his 7D buried several page back.

Pelican

Quote from: feureau on September 09, 2013, 05:55:52 PM
Well, I'm trying out 1%'s new build he just posted yesterday, and the focusing problem has gotten worse. Now my other lenses would fail to focus. (it would hunt and rest at the closest focus point or have extreme backfocusing).

Restarting without ML wouldn't make it go away. I had to do a battery pull and turn the camera on with MAGIC OFF or use a non-ML card to get the focusing back.

I wonder if anyone else can confirm this? I find that other guy with the same problem with his 7D buried several page back.
The same happened with me yesterday when I've installed the latest ML from the main repo: the lens couldn't find focus just hunt and rest at the closest focus point.
That's why I'm not using ML when I want to take photos... but I couldn't resist to see some new stuff...
I think this is the biggest issue on 7D which needs to fix if we want to go further...
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

feureau

Quote from: Pelican on September 09, 2013, 06:20:13 PM
The same happened with me yesterday when I've installed the latest ML from the main repo: the lens couldn't find focus just hunt and rest at the closest focus point.
That's why I'm not using ML when I want to take photos... but I couldn't resist to see some new stuff...
I think this is the biggest issue on 7D which needs to fix if we want to go further...

I concur. Just glad this is not specific to my 7D. I carry some extra CF cards for non-ML shootings now.

How's Brasil working out for you btw? :3 got some nice pics you could share?