Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serdcelov

I read the link several times already, I need a module for the raw video, I have it I can not find in the settings of the firmware as I understand it, without this module, shooting in raw materials is not possible, please share the link on the Raw unit.

Pileot

If someone wanted to post a list of the most recent modules I'll add them to the other thread (read 1600 times holy crap!)
I don't use ML for video, focus peak is the thing I use the most, but since i'ts being asked for quite a lot I figure I might as well link em in the other thread.

NessD

Sorry for asking this, but for the love of god, I couldn't find it in this thread, so I hope you don't mind asking...it's confusing...to say the least.

So: At the moment: What is possible with the 7D? Are there any other Versions than alpha 2? And if so, how can I install them? Or is the talk going on the last couple weeks only for autobooting the firmware?

Thanks in advance!
-A noob in this field.

Sairon

Yeeeeh

I find a problem, why raw not made dualISO
dualISO raw not made, if you shot when LiveView zoom (x5 or x10) turned...

Pileot

Quote from: NessD on August 05, 2013, 09:34:01 PM
So: At the moment: What is possible with the 7D? Are there any other Versions than alpha 2? And if so, how can I install them? Or is the talk going on the last couple weeks only for autobooting the firmware?

Lots of talk that I dont fully understand, lots of raw video type stuff, general development of functions. HDR, dual ISOs, lots of fun stuff.  Basically, every function of MagicLantern is being tested and made to work as it should. Its cool to watch it happen right in front of me :) Use EOScard from Pelican, from what I understand it downloads the latest files and applies them to your CF card. Not always 100% solid but it is beta so you can expect a few bugs.

I always suggest reading the last 10 pages in this thread, usually theres a link to the latest files somewhere in that 10 pages.

http://pel.hu/down/EOScard.exe

Quote from: Serdcelov on August 05, 2013, 09:23:03 PM
I read the link several times already, I need a module for the raw video, I have it I can not find in the settings of the firmware as I understand it, without this module, shooting in raw materials is not possible, please share the link on the Raw unit.

Read the manual. It will explain all functions. You were already provided links to the files you need in your last post.

danistuta

When you shoot in crop mode, how do you see the correct framing in liveview, if it 5x? Is there a way to see correct view in LCD? Thanks.

jemabaris

Quote from: NessD on August 05, 2013, 09:34:01 PM
Sorry for asking this, but for the love of god, I couldn't find it in this thread, so I hope you don't mind asking...it's confusing...to say the least.

Thanks in advance!
-A noob in this field.

Time for a little summary!!!

alpha 2 and what is being discussed here right now are not quite the same thing. Well basically it is the alpha 2, but with added features. The current release number is 2.0.3.

So why all the discussion about it?

A) this version added a big new feature: Silent picture, and especially silent picture burst mode... NO, not RAW video yet!!!!

BUT... this is the first step towards RAW video, as it also was with the 5D Mk III

and B) because a lot of people have had and still have trouble installing this version, because they (including myself) have and had a hard time getting the camera to boot from the CF card.

THIS PROCESS IS ALL COVERED HERE!!!   

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7464.msg63820#msg63820

You will NOT have silent picture after that procedure! I have explained that in the same thread a few posts later. Please refer to that and don´t ask that anymore.

What else comes with this release? 

Dual ISO is a part of it. the module is already onboard and works. See this thread for more information

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0

Dot Tune AFMA is part of it. It´s an automated way of the AFMA Dot Tune method to fine tune your lenses autofocus.

Several other features from previous releases for other cameras are on board, like the follow focus, audio tags and many more, which have been around for a while, but not available for the 7D yet.

What does not come with this release but can be enabled through modules?

ETTR (expose to the right )     An automated, pretty food working way of exposing to your histograms right. link for this module:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wkbc2nwiz3p9g6r/ettr.zip

Pic_view module: Im not to sure about this one, but i believe its a module to playback DNG frames which you have taken with silent picture and cant normally be viewed in Canons original picture playback function. (If im wrong with this one and if anyone´s got a link, let me know and i will update this post

Please keep in mind: I´m only a user and not a programmer of any kind. Everything I wrote here is how i understand it, but im pretty positive that i got everything more or less right.

I hope this helps you guys out there. good luck and a big thank you to the guys out there who are doing the real work (the devs)

Greets Jemabaris

codypowers

https://vimeo.com/71755562

Here's a quick test, wanted to get a glimpse of what skin tones might look like, and try some high detail landscapes.  I did get some pink frames every now and then, but in general, the 41 frames I could shoot at a time went smoothly.  Thanks for all the work developing this, its coming along great.  I can upload some DNGs if that is useful in any way.

hbr

Thank you all for hard work!
Amazing things happening here ;-)

NessD

kh3naz

Hi everyone , this is great news and got me really excited , was about to sell my 7D for the BMPC4k but this might make me keep my money

I have a question , from Florian's footage it seems that only the "1736 x 1156" resolution is supported so far , what about this impressive footage from our user "crazyrunner33" in 2.5K resolution , from what i read it has to do with "crop mode" , does this have any drawbacks , could RAW 2.5k be possible at some point ?

Great work everyone and the least i can do is support the team and perhaps use my own equipment to help test these features.

Best

jemabaris

Quote from: kh3naz on August 05, 2013, 11:34:24 PM
Hi everyone , this is great news and got me really excited , was about to sell my 7D for the BMPC4k but this might make me keep my money

I have a question , from Florian's footage it seems that only the "1736 x 1156" resolution is supported so far , what about this impressive footage from our user "crazyrunner33" in 2.5K resolution , from what i read it has to do with "crop mode" , does this have any drawbacks , could RAW 2.5k be possible at some point ?

Great work everyone and the least i can do is support the team and perhaps use my own equipment to help test these features.

Best

The drawbacks are that you cant frame it properly (at this point). As far as i understand, 2.5k will never be available in coninuous 24 fps, because write speeds just won´t be enough.

noisyboy

Hey dudes! Was gonna split this thread as it's all getting a bit all over the place in here but it's so all over the place it's gonna be a pain to split so for now I have started a new thread here which you can continue the discussion of getting started and shooting raw on your lovely 7D :)

This thread should now continue to be used for general 7D development discussion.

If you wish to find more info on installing then Pileot has started a nice little guide to help get you started here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7464.0

Any assistance in (politely) directing people to the new thread would be appreciated.

Cheers  8)

Edit: Updated with correct link  :P

angelom

Quote from: noisyboy on August 05, 2013, 11:57:10 PM
Hey dudes! Was gonna split this thread as it's all getting a bit all over the place in here but it's so all over the place it's gonna be a pain to split so for now I have started a new thread here which you can continue the discussion of getting started and shooting raw on your lovely 7D :)

This thread should now continue to be used for general 7D development discussion.

If you wish to find more info on installing then Pileot has started a nice little guide to help get you started here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.new#new

Any assistance in (politely) directing people to the new thread would be appreciated.

Cheers  8)
Hello noisyboy, both links point to your thread, the 2nd link should point to Pileot's one?

noisyboy

Quote from: angelom on August 06, 2013, 01:05:50 AM
Hello noisyboy, both links point to your thread, the 2nd link should point to Pileot's one?

Well spotted that man (or woman)  8)

Corrected.

mburgst

i installed ML via the tutorial perfectly easy on my 7D. yay!

question now - what's in, what's not? as for photo as for video. can anybody make a list of what's still to fix maybe? like FPS override which seems to be missing. haven't got that much time yesterday for testing, but it seems like the option for audio meters is missing now, too?

i'm a windows programmer by work, so maybe i can be of a little help. just give me pinch what's still to be found and i'll see if i can find a little time for hunting.. :)

Digital Corpus

Quote from: codypowers on August 05, 2013, 08:43:44 AM
I do live in SoCal, and was considering purchasing one.  It would be great to test drive one.  How effective is it in the raw files?
My presence here is just to follow where things are. I have an embedded solutions electronics project, day job, automotive work, and Life® that consume my time. As such I haven't had a chance to try RAW. Hit me up via a PM if you're serious about borrowing and we'll see what we can do.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

arrinkiiii

Quote from: mburgst on August 06, 2013, 11:19:34 AM
i installed ML via the tutorial perfectly easy on my 7D. yay!

question now - what's in, what's not? as for photo as for video. can anybody make a list of what's still to fix maybe? like FPS override which seems to be missing. haven't got that much time yesterday for testing, but it seems like the option for audio meters is missing now, too?

i'm a windows programmer by work, so maybe i can be of a little help. just give me pinch what's still to be found and i'll see if i can find a little time for hunting.. :)

7D RAW THREAD
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.new#new

7D RAW MODULE DEVELOPMENT
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7508.0

herrfox

Thank you dear team..i read all the posts from the first...and if i liked a ML version audionut,with dual iso and with raw video but not autobootable?

angelom

no raw video yet, as per previous messages.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: herrfox on August 06, 2013, 03:16:11 PM
Thank you dear team..i read all the posts from the first...and if i liked a ML version audionut,with dual iso and with raw video but not autobootable?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7464.0

Trey T

I have a bit of money to donate. Please link.

No, this is not a spam. I have owned the 7D since it came out and it's my to go camera over the 5D-II.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Trey T on August 06, 2013, 07:17:23 PM
I have a bit of money to donate. Please link.

I think that the donations link are close, at least for now. But send a PM to a1ex and ask him.

mburgst

..where have the audio-meters gone? can't find the option to switch them on in todays 7D build from audionut?

any chance to make the camera beep when recording starts? maybe be useful to sync others recorders/cams..