Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pit3k

Quote from: jphansen on August 02, 2013, 11:58:16 AM
But will that do the same job as EOScard do.. like enable bootflag and so on?

But you did enable bootflag in EOS utility, by changing the firmware. Now all you need to do is copy ML on cf card.

EOScard is just an app made by @Pelican that automatically downloads latest ML build.

mburgst

just for the stupid like me.. when i'm running my 7d on the lastest canon firmware, do i need to downgrade to an earlier firmware to set the bootflag thing? the tutorial some pages ago is nice, but that's the point that's not completely clear to me.

but with the latest stuff happening here i really do need to step up from alpha2... :)

pit3k

Quote from: mburgst on August 02, 2013, 12:29:45 PM
just for the stupid like me.. when i'm running my 7d on the lastest canon firmware, do i need to downgrade to an earlier firmware to set the bootflag thing? the tutorial some pages ago is nice, but that's the point that's not completely clear to me.

but with the latest stuff happening here i really do need to step up from alpha2... :)

Once you have latest stock canon firmware on your 7D, you do what tutorial says (make new firmware using cmd, then use eos utility... ).

feureau

Quote from: Audionut on August 02, 2013, 09:29:55 AM
Cheers feureau.

I'm busy busy busy this weekend, but I'll try and spend some time on it tonight.

You're welcome. Happy to help. :P

Are you working on the RAW video too, btw? :3

arrinkiiii

Quote from: jphansen on August 02, 2013, 11:58:16 AM
But will that do the same job as EOScard do.. like enable bootflag and so on?

Yes, is the same files. EOSCard just download the files and save in your cf card.

But for this new version of ML work you need to enable in your camera autoboot. In the old version in the root tree of your CF card you have a .fir file, that for work you need to go to canon menu and update your firmware. With this new version in your root tree of your CF card you will have a autoexec.bin file and with this your camera don't have the ability to read this autoexec.bin... so, you need to bootflag your camera.

How you do this? The only way is get a old version of a 7D firmware, patch that firmware that will produce a file with the name  firmware.fir and with EOSUtility flash your camera with that file... then you just need your CF card with the new files, that EOSCard put in your CF card... or just take from the zip file and put in your CF card. I advice to use EOSCard from Pelican, works like a charm.

All the instructions are were, by user britom.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3974.msg62242#msg62242

Quote from: mburgst on August 02, 2013, 12:29:45 PM

No, will not downgrade. For bootflag the 7D you need a old version of a 7D firmware then patch it. It don't downgrade, is just a way the devs find to bootflag the camera. It will stay with the normal firmware version that you got in your camera, the latest. 

With this action you camera will be reading the autoexec.bin file (bootflag). You never more going to need to upgrade your firmware for get ML in the 7D (like in the past) and you will have the new ML in you camera every time that you turn it on and of course having the new ML files in the CF card.

Any doubts just ask me, if i know i will answer... my english is not the best  8)

mburgst

awesome, thanks for explaining (again)! :)

just two questions left:

1.) isn't the firmware.fir always the same so you could put it somewhere to download? for us lazy bastards.. ;-)

2.) why updating via eosutility? can't this done via camera?

so the firmware upgrade just get's launched and sets the bootflag, but doesn't change anything to/in the camera? i'm just curious about this bootflag thing.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: mburgst on August 02, 2013, 03:26:40 PM
awesome, thanks for explaining (again)! :)

just two questions left:

1.) isn't the firmware.fir always the same so you could put it somewhere to download? for us lazy bastards.. ;-)

2.) why updating via eosutility? can't this done via camera?

so the firmware upgrade just get's launched and sets the bootflag, but doesn't change anything to/in the camera? i'm just curious about this bootflag thing.

U welcome  :D

1- Yes. But this patch firmware is illegal to distribute. If you make yours it's ok... and is so easy to do it. Just follow the instructions of britom.

2) Don't know. And must be with a older version of EOSUtility, like a old 7D firmware. I think is because the software that canon makes, losing any door open that people can enter.

Yes, its what it does.

*Im curiosity to see if they (canon) going to make any big change in there software, for blocking the ML.

feureau

Quote from: a1ex on August 02, 2013, 08:39:19 AM
If you look at DxO dynamic range numbers, you will notice there's no point in going above ISO 1600 on 7D. I've left the higher ISOs so you can experiment, but that doesn't mean you should use the extreme settings.

The 5 EV difference means the highest analog ISO is 3200, which confirms this: http://www.guillermoluijk.com/article/isos5dmkii/index.htm

I don't speak spanish. What's it about?

So, does it mean to use dual ISO at its maximum eV on 7D, one must use 100/1600? And if I need to shoot at higher sensitivity, the top value would not exceed 1600 even though I switch it to higher ISO?

Haven't tried this, but does inverting that helps? say, 12800/100?

also, what is this DXO dynamic range numbers everyone's talking about? The camera sensor ratings?

themichael

Having problems getting ML to boot on my 7D. Followed britom's instructions to set the bootflag. ended up with the 3 ROM bin files so I assume it worked. Manually put the autoexec and ML folders on the root of my CF card with the DCIM and MISC folders. When I turn on the camera and hit the delete key nothing happens.
7D, AE-1P, 4x5 and GAS

pit3k

Quote from: themichael on August 02, 2013, 08:30:46 PM
Having problems getting ML to boot on my 7D. Followed britom's instructions to set the bootflag. ended up with the 3 ROM bin files so I assume it worked. Manually put the autoexec and ML folders on the root of my CF card with the DCIM and MISC folders. When I turn on the camera and hit the delete key nothing happens.

Make the firmware again using cmd and carefully check what are you typing into console. It should create just one file: firmware.fir. Do the rest of steps as the tutorial says.

jalejake

Awesome news just keep on coming! Thanks for the developers!
Just one question.. if I install this autoboot version with the bootflag, then what happens if I insert my eye-fi card that has no ML on it?
Will my camera still boot to canon firmware?
And what if I have the non bootable version of 7D alpha on my other card. Will something weird happen if I have the bootflag thingy enabled?

Thanks again!

feureau

Quote from: jalejake on August 02, 2013, 09:23:42 PM
Awesome news just keep on coming! Thanks for the developers!
Just one question.. if I install this autoboot version with the bootflag, then what happens if I insert my eye-fi card that has no ML on it?
Will my camera still boot to canon firmware?
And what if I have the non bootable version of 7D alpha on my other card. Will something weird happen if I have the bootflag thingy enabled?

Thanks again!

Bootflag only change stuff on your card. Your 7D is still the stock 7D like it used to be.

Pelican

Nightly:
Magic Lantern v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug02.7D203
Mercurial changeset: 58580d531981 (unified) tip
Built on 2013-08-02 19:27:50 by Pel@pelslaptop
http://pel.hu/ML/autoexec.bin
http://pel.hu/ML/7D_203.sym

Edit:
Typo fixed in the second link.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

ted ramasola

Quote from: Pelican on August 02, 2013, 10:20:23 PM
Nightly:
http://pel.hu/ML/7D.203.sym

Pelican,

second file shows "bad link" file not found
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

jalejake

I was able to do almost everything, but when trying to download ML, EOScard.exe just crashed on my windows. (I'm running VM windows inside mac, so that might be the reason.) Anyway, could someone please send the needed ML files to me? I'd appreciate that. My email is in my profile info. Or where can I find the needed files? I would have tried the ones pelican just posted, but the last link was bad..and I believe there might be something else too?  Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Thank you!

arrinkiiii

Quote from: feureau on August 02, 2013, 07:40:29 PM
I don't speak spanish. What's it about?

So, does it mean to use dual ISO at its maximum eV on 7D, one must use 100/1600? And if I need to shoot at higher sensitivity, the top value would not exceed 1600 even though I switch it to higher ISO?

Haven't tried this, but does inverting that helps? say, 12800/100?

also, what is this DXO dynamic range numbers everyone's talking about? The camera sensor ratings?

Hi feureau, you got a inglish flag in the website for getting the inglish version. It's albout the ISO. Raw and or Jpeg... about native ISO's, etc...

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guillermoluijk.com%2Farticle%2Fisos5dmkii%2Findex.htm&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=EN&ie=UTF-8

Quote from: Pelican on August 02, 2013, 10:20:23 PM
Nightly:
http://pel.hu/ML/7D.203.sym

What this version brings new?

themichael

Quote from: pit3k on August 02, 2013, 08:55:53 PM
Make the firmware again using cmd and carefully check what are you typing into console. It should create just one file: firmware.fir. Do the rest of steps as the tutorial says.

Sorry, I wasn't clearer. The three ROM bin files are after the update in the camera.

EOScard 1.36 crashed on two computers (Win7 and XP) even if nothing is clicked.

Will try once more with all new downloads.

**EDIT: Still no joy. The autoexec.bin goes in the root corrct? I am using a 16MB 133x card. Somebody have a checksum for the generated firmware file?
7D, AE-1P, 4x5 and GAS

Canon Amateur

Quote from: themichael on August 02, 2013, 10:43:20 PM
EOScard 1.36 crashed on two computers (Win7 and XP) even if nothing is clicked.

EOSCard 1.36 crashes on my Windows 8 64-bit also.
After a few seconds an Application Error occurs.
"Exception EConvertError in module EOScard.exe at 00021E67."
"Invalid argument to date encode."

Canon EOS 7D / Canon 1D Mark III / Lytro illum

pavel89l

EOSCard  crashes on  Windows 7 64-bit, I also tried on virtual XP. Also crashes on XP.

jalejake

Quote from: pavel89l on August 03, 2013, 12:23:41 AM
That's the same error I got..

edingacic

I am going crazy trying to get EOSUtility to work.  Under winodows7 x64 I have downloaded EOS Utility from the link above and when I try to run the firmware.fir update it says connection lost. 

I have tried under osx it says out of memory

New versions say incompatible version when trying to downgrade.

Is there another solution for me to make the bootflag

It starts the loading the firmware program on the 7d and it disconects from the eos utility 7d restarts and on the card I get ROM0.bin ROM1.bin and ROM2.bin along with FIRMWARE.FIR

I delete all 4 files correct and place ML?

britom

7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

jemabaris

same problem here. newer version of eos utility wont let me, cause of an unsopported version. the connection gets lost with the supported version. i then also get the four files. eoscard worked for a few seconds when i started it for the first time. now same error as everyone else. also not working in win xp mode. placing the files on the card manually also wont work for me..

i really want this to work ... please support us with an even more detailed instruction (yes we are morrons )

thank you so much to everyone who is contributing to this project and making this happen. i was close to tears when i read that raw was coming for my beloved 7D earlier this evening. keep the good work up guys, you all are awesome!

edingacic

why is loosing connections its beyond me I have tried even installing full solution disk but same thing :(