Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

For those having issues with 7D crashing on DualISO: I think I found the problem.

After you installed your ML with eoscard, overwrite the respective files with this version: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3974.msg62012#msg62012

Autoexec.bin is in root. The other two files in \ML\MODULES

Interestingly, only the first file taken can be converted using cr2hdr. The rest fails with:

Input file     : _MG_8342.CR2
Full size      : 5360 x 3516
Active area    : 5202 x 3465
Black borders  : 158 left, 51 top
ISO pattern    : dBBd GBRG
Interpolation  : mean23-vsmooth3-contrast
Doesn't look like interlaced ISO
ISO blending didn't work

Thought the CR2 file would open just fine in photoshop. Is there a way to do the ISO blending in photoshop instead?

And just confirming the purple highlights: http://i.imgur.com/nH6SZXP.png

mucher

britom, thanks. I finally got it loaded.

arrinkiiii, thanks for solving the red light blinking issue.

Unable to boot twice, solved the issue easily by pulling the battery out, probably because I hot-pulled the CF card.

But the Qscale factor shrinks to -8 (used to be -16 plus GOP1), or it will stop recording in several seconds. Still unable to save that "Video Hack" option. But it is good enough for now.

Thanks again. G3gg0, Audionut, Pelican, britom, arrinkiiii, ...

tm8

arrinkiiii

Quote from: feureau on July 28, 2013, 07:50:59 AM
For those having issues with 7D crashing on DualISO: I think I found the problem.

After you installed your ML with eoscard, overwrite the respective files with this version: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3974.msg62012#msg62012

Autoexec.bin is in root. The other two files in \ML\MODULES

Interestingly, only the first file taken can be converted using cr2hdr. The rest fails with:

Input file     : _MG_8342.CR2
Full size      : 5360 x 3516
Active area    : 5202 x 3465
Black borders  : 158 left, 51 top
ISO pattern    : dBBd GBRG
Interpolation  : mean23-vsmooth3-contrast
ISO blending didn't work

Thought the CR2 file would open just fine in photoshop. Is there a way to do the ISO blending in photoshop instead?

And just confirming the purple highlights: http://i.imgur.com/nH6SZXP.png

-I went to the link but the dropbox is empty. Can you or Audionut upload again the files?

-How do you use/convert the first file/photo with  cr2hdr?

-Do you know how to set up the ML for ALL-I ? (With sound and with out sound)

Quote from: mucher on July 28, 2013, 08:44:24 AM
britom, thanks. I finally got it loaded.

arrinkiiii, thanks for solving the red light blinking issue.

Unable to boot twice, solved the issue easily by pulling the battery out, probably because I hot-pulled the CF card.

But the Qscale factor shrinks to -8 (used to be -16 plus GOP1), or it will stop recording in several seconds. Still unable to save that "Video Hack" option. But it is good enough for now.

Thanks again. G3gg0, Audionut, Pelican, britom, arrinkiiii, ...

Thanks mucher but was Feureau that give the hint for the red blicking. I have the same problem, that tell/warning me that im not working in the Av mode. Good to know that now is solve...but wod like to know why its react in that way...

Some times, most of the times, using dual iso camera crash... need to take battery out.

Let's keep the 7D ALIVE... !

feureau

Quote from: arrinkiiii on July 28, 2013, 12:33:25 PM
-I went to the link but the dropbox is empty. Can you or Audionut upload again the files?

-How do you use/convert the first file/photo with  cr2hdr?

-Do you know how to set up the ML for ALL-I ? (With sound and with out sound)

Audionut's latest: http://www.mediafire.com/?9kme624ql66qkjq (the one from that dropbox link)

to use cr2hdr:

use command prompt > go to folder with cr2hdr

run:

cr2hdr IMG_1234.cr2

And it should spit out a .dng files

With audionut's latest build, the highlights are all magenta though. But it doesn't crash when you take a lot of dual iso pics.

to set up ML with ALL-I

go to Movie tab (fourth tab from the left) > video hacks > set GOP size to 1

If you want to record audio with that, set the flush rate according to your video framerate. (i.e. if shooting 24fps, flush at 24) for some reason the flush rate is capped to 50. So if you're shooting 60fps, you can't use this to shoot All-I and flush at 60. Make a note that this needs a fast card. If your video keeps dropping, you need faster card. Or lower the bitrate.

arrinkiiii

What can i say?! Thank you Feureau, much appreciated. Going to try out this one, lets see what happen  :D 

feureau

You're welcome. Report back with pics! :D

arrinkiiii

Now, before i change the files i was able to take 2 pictures with no problem, with the old files. I will change now the files and take a few photos to compare and then use the cr2hdr.

::)

arrinkiiii

I use now the latest build from Audionut and everything is ok, but i just take 2 or 4 pictures. I will do more photos  for see if it's stable.

-Wend i use the cr2hdr its prompt  in the screen the next message:

Input file: IMG9958.cr2
      Full size: 5360 x 3516
      Active area: 5202 x 3465

Any one knows why? I make a zoom in the photo and i can see the lines, so i assume everything is good with the picture, that is a interlaced iso, no?

Until now i don't see no magenta in the highlight, but i also have careful to not over-expose the photo. By the way, i don't yet manage to expose the photo good. I put iso 100 in canon menu and 1600 iso in dual iso menu. In the exposer compesation bar (in the camera) i need to take -4 stops for the sky don't over-expose.

the cr2 image are here https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/edbab4227c938bdb349772d7466b07b020130728140510/0d9855a665c27e776d96f9cf79385f6420130728140511/cfc7b6

szigiszmund

HI,from where i can download cr2hdr.exe

arrinkiiii

With the new build, confirmation of pink/magenta in the highlights. Camera crash but i use iso 6400 in ML and iso100 in canon menu.

I have been able to use cr2hdr with this photos.

I will put the files of the first Audionut version for see what happen.

szigiszmund

arrinkiiii

Quote from: szigiszmund on July 28, 2013, 05:36:39 PM
Thankyou.(Obrigado)

...de nada. (it's nothing)   :D

Camera crash again with 70error. With 800 and 400 iso. Beside the pink/magenta problem in cr2hdr, its still crash with the 70error. Last build from Audionut.

ThLDQ

Good evening from France.
Thank you for the 7d ML developpers.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
I have almost understood how I might create an autobootable ML for my 7d.......
BUT i'm running a Mac  :D .......... which is completely and totally indifferent  :o, apathic  ???, unconcerned  ::), uninterested  :-[, blind  :-X and insensible  :'( to any .exe program.
Any chance to get a ready to download on the CF ML file in the near future ?  ::)
Regards.
Please keep 7d alive.    :)
Thierry

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ThLDQ on July 28, 2013, 09:42:44 PM
BUT i'm running a Mac  :D .......... which is completely and totally indifferent  :o, apathic  ???, unconcerned  ::), uninterested  :-[, blind  :-X and insensible  :'( to any .exe program.
Any chance to get a ready to download on the CF ML file in the near future ?  ::)
Regards.
Thierry

Hello and greetings from Portugal.

I dont know how to do it in Mac but i can send you the files that you need to run the Magic Lantern with the dual iso... and the new GUI. Just tell me if you want.

Pelican

EOScard use this link at the moment: http://pel.hu/ML/magiclantern-7D.203.Alpha2.zip
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

tonybeccar

I take my hat off!!!! THANK YOU!!!! ML auto-booting and new gui!!! Cant believe it guys!!! You are geniouses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SLVRBCK

Regards.
Thierry

Hi any news for Mac users how to install this version?
EOS 7D / EF 50mm 1:1.4 / EFS 18-135mm

feureau

The only thing you actually need on to wait for the mac is EOSCard.

I'd try wine or just run windows on VM.

Pileot

Hey guys, kind of new to ML so sorry if its a newbish question, is there like, a twitter feed or something i can get plugged into for development on the 7D? Half the sites i check say the 7D development is dead because no funding or they bricked the cameras or whatever, yet i come on the forums and every now and then i see life in a 7D forum...

I just want to make sure I keep up to date on the developments yet a lot of this stuff, compiling etc. is way over my head. Can someone please help point me in the right direction?

Is Alpha 2 the latest "release"? Does it have the newest 'developed' features or is it a watered down, "safe" version? Is there a pre-alpha that has the partially working features on it? 

How do I go about getting the most recent stuff for my 7D?

ted ramasola

@Britom,

Thank you for that guide. My 7D now autoboots. :)
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Pileot

Quote from: britom on July 27, 2013, 07:52:03 PM

Go to the folder that you've extracted EOS.zip and double-click EOS Utility.exe *
Click Camera Settings/Remote Shooting option. Make sure your camera dial is in M mode and Liveview turn off.
In the middle of the window click the icon that looks like a cross and a tool, between the Lightning/Flash icon and the Star icon.
Click Firmware Ver. 2.0.3 at the bottom of the list.
Click OK and Select the firmware.fir file from the first folder. Click OK Again.
Wait until is done. **Be very Careful**

Well i may have just bricked my camera... :(
Followed every step. Got to this point, opened EOS utility, navigated to the Cross / wrench icon, clicked firmware update, clicked firmware.fir, it asked if i wanted to update, i clicked OK, and nothing happened. My camera remained dark for several minutes, the EOS utility said press select to start but nothing happened on the camera... eventually I unplugged my camera and removed the battery (no button response, no lights, nothing) and now all that happens is the low battery icon flashes when i turn on camera and nothing.

Is there any hope or should I consider it a complete loss?

**EDIT**
Quick search for "Brick" and found another user with the same problem on a 5DIII or whatever, if he removes the CF card the camera booted so i figured wth i'll give er a try. SUCCESS! camera boots without the CF card. Now what do I need to do to fix this? That forum thread didnt go past that suggestion so now im stuck but mildly hopefull.

**Edit again**
Found a card that i had NOT changed the boot flags on (No magiclantern business), formatted it as NTFS, insterted in camera, camera started (yay!), formatted the card, now all seems to be working but no magiclantern.

well at least my camera isn't bricked, so thats some good news. nearly had a heart attack XD

I think my problem is I am running 2.0.3 and not 1.2.3, when the eos utility tried to "update" it got confused?

How can i made the firmware.fir file with 2.0.3 instead of 1.2.3 so the update actually works?

Walter Schulz

Remove card and *both* batteries and let it rest for about half an hour. Then try again without card inserted.

Ciao, Walter

Pileot

After a brief heart attack, got my camera starting up again.

Quote from: britom on July 27, 2013, 07:52:03 PM
Click OK and Select the firmware.fir file from the first folder. Click OK Again.
Wait until is done. **Be very Careful**
I get to this point, everything goes perfectly and as explained. Then the EOS utility says to start the update press the set button on the camera. well on the camera it says "Firmware update program. Update file cannot be found. PLease check the memory card and reload the battery and try again"

Firmware.firm is in the root of the SD card, freshly formatted by the camera.

It seems the camera does not want to "update" to an older version, am I doing something wrong?

Additionally, I think the EOScard.exe did not download the files correctly, what files is it supposed to put on the CF card? It places no .fir files, which to me seems odd. How can I "reset" the EOScard application so it re-downloads all applicable files?