Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArturoKiwi

@danistuta: this will respond your second question:
Quote from: feureau on June 27, 2013, 03:38:51 AM
I compiled 7D ML from repo with bootflag enabled.

To run, you actually need to downgrade to the older 1.3 7D firmware. It didn't work well. Like pelican said, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Ended up restoring to the 2.0 firmware and using the alpha 2.

If you want the full ML experience, better get another camera.

danistuta

I read there was no need to make a downgrade...really possible?

ty66

There is no need to downgrade firmware to enable bootflags. Dumper firmware is just a hacked/patch version of regular/official firmware image. You need to run it just like any other firmware update/downgrade but it will not actually downgrade nor update your camera firmware. Instead it just hacked code which will dump memory to CF card and enable bootflags.
Look http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/7D_support#Before_g3gg0.27s_hack

Take a note that you need to use older version of EOS utility to run older versions of firmware images or you will get firmware image not supported or something like this error. I did use EOS utility 2.10.2.0
7D ML | 400D plus | 430EX | 10-20 4-5.6 Sigma | 30 1.4 old Sigma | 60 2.8 macro Canon | 85 1.8 Canon | 200 4.0 Jupiter

tonybeccar

Quote from: ty66 on July 12, 2013, 06:34:15 PM
There is no need to downgrade firmware to enable bootflags. Dumper firmware is just a hacked/patch version of regular/official firmware image. You need to run it just like any other firmware update/downgrade but it will not actually downgrade nor update your camera firmware. Instead it just runs hacked code to dump firmware and enable bootflags.
Look http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/7D_support#Before_g3gg0.27s_hack

Take a note that you need to use older version of EOS utility to run older versions of firmware images or you will get firmware image not supported or something like this error. I did use EOS utility 2.10.2.0

Thank you very much for the information. Though I still don't quite get it. There is the bspatch which it says you should apply it to firmware version 1.1.0. And then run the firmware update and it'll do what you say. It doesn't say to apply the patch to the 2.0.3 firmware. What should we do? The idea is to still use the 2.0.3 firmware on the camera.

Could you please do a step by step guide for us dummies?? It's a very risky process.

Thank you so much again!
Cheers!

ty66

Just follow the info from Google group http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/9636782a8f25bb7d

Download patch.bsdiff from google group, bsdiff program to run the patch and 1.2.3 version of Canon 7D firmware. Then apply patch.bsdiff to v1.2.3 Canon 7D firmware file. I wish there would be some MD5 sums to verify the patched file but unfortunately there is not.

Then install EOS utility 2.10.2.0 and flash the patched 1.2.3 version. As said previously it just runs hacked code which will dump the memory to CF card and enable bootflags. It will not downgrade your firmware to 1.2.3.

I don't know the internals behind this patch so I can't comment on risk factor but I suggest you to be prepared (mentally and financially) to brick your camera. I know I was, I needed autoboot just that much.
7D ML | 400D plus | 430EX | 10-20 4-5.6 Sigma | 30 1.4 old Sigma | 60 2.8 macro Canon | 85 1.8 Canon | 200 4.0 Jupiter

tonybeccar

Oh that's much more clear! Thank you so much!

So, now you are working just fine with an autobootable version of ML A2 in your 7D right??? Have you experienced any kind of problems??

I really do need the autobootable version, it's driving me crazy to start it every time.. will consider the risk factor after some time if nobody complains about some bricked 7D..

Would be so nice if g33go could comment something about the risk of doing this.. an advice would be nice :)

Thanks again man!!!
Cheers!

agaetis

Hi, I'm a ML user from about 1 year, first on 55od and now on 7d.
I'd like to ask you something about the 7d, audio corner. After I boot ML, even if in the ML menù the light on 'audio' is turn to green, I can't see the audio meters on the live view top. This happen only in the pre-rec session, because then they appear when I press the recording button and they are active during the recording.
I've seen in a tutorial on youtube that the meters should be visible also in the pre rec situations, as it happens to me with the 550d. Is it possible? Eventually, how can I do ?

However. Thank you for what you did. Magic Lantern and Magic lantern team is something great.

ps. hope to see a autobootable version,first or then, it would help a lot !

ty66

Quote from: tonybeccar on July 13, 2013, 01:07:06 AM
So, now you are working just fine with an autobootable version of ML A2 in your 7D right??? Have you experienced any kind of problems??

It's running fine. You can also use non bootable CF card to run the official alpha 2 version instead of autoexec/autoboot version.

pfluger

Quote from: ty66 on July 13, 2013, 02:08:05 PM
It's running fine. You can also use non bootable CF card to run the official alpha 2 version instead of autoexec/autoboot version.
Did you have to build the autoexec version yourself or is it somewhere available for download?

ty66

Quote from: pfluger on July 13, 2013, 10:14:44 PM
Did you have to build the autoexec version yourself or is it somewhere available for download?
It's not available officially so I did not search. alpha2 tag is compiling without any problems but latest code had some problems few weeks ago.
There is tons of guides and even virtual machine images where everything is pre-installed, so you have to just check out the alpha2 tag code and run make 7D command.

ThLDQ

Hello ty66.
I'd like to get to be able to compile by myself Alpha2.
But I'm so confused with what to do and how to do  :o  that I gave up  :-[
Furthermore, I'm running a Mac with Snow Leopard, whiwh doesn't seem to best the best equipment to compile.
Would you please be kind enough to send me your compiled version of Ml Alpha2 ? Or tell me clearly what to do to compile by myself (the discussions about compiling are too complex for me)
Regards
Thierry

dbals

I tried this myself- could follow this tutorial (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6783.0) and generate the unified (all camera version) but not the 7D- would just give me and error 2.  Still don't understand how to apply the alpha2 tag mentioned before but did see a new entry in the code for the 7D where Alex remove the playback tricks for the 7D.  So I hope we will get a beta and/or someone will post an autoboot version.

ygor

Any build with the Dual ISO module coming soon?
[size=8pt]Canon 7D | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 18-200 OS 3.5-5.6 | Canon 580ex II
Landscapes[/size]

ty66

Quote from: dbals on July 17, 2013, 03:27:40 PM
I tried this myself- could follow this tutorial (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6783.0) and generate the unified (all camera version) but not the 7D- would just give me and error 2.  Still don't understand how to apply the alpha2 tag mentioned before
I'am not 100% sure but I must have used "hg clone -r ML-7D-Alpha2 https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern" to check out code. Anyway ML-7D-Alpha2 is tag name you want to use to check out the code from server.

_iLiam

| Canon 5D | Canon7D | 85mm f1.2 | 18-135mm | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 f4 | 28mm f2.8 |
www.liamnewman.co.uk

arrinkiiii

But any one have compile this Dual iso for the 7D ?

I want to trie but dont know how to compile.

ygor

Quote from: arrinkiiii on July 19, 2013, 03:46:30 AM
But any one have compile this Dual iso for the 7D ?

I want to trie but dont know how to compile.

I know how to compile, but I'm not brave enough to try my own build  ;D ;D ;D
[size=8pt]Canon 7D | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 18-200 OS 3.5-5.6 | Canon 580ex II
Landscapes[/size]

a1ex

It took 3 months from the point I knew how to compile ML until I had courage to run it on my camera ;)

Walter Schulz

This anxiety definitely needs a name!
Seriously! There is - for example - a name for fear of bellybuttons and I don't know anyone suffering this.
And the "fear of installing a self compiled ML version on one's camera" seems more widely spread but unnamed!

Ciao, Walter

PS: Fear of bellybuttons is called Omphalophobia.

feureau

Quote from: a1ex on July 19, 2013, 08:56:04 AM
It took 3 months from the point I knew how to compile ML until I had courage to run it on my camera ;)

You know, if you compile ML for 7D and post it here, I bet some lunatic here has the balls to run it in their camera. Then we can take it from there...

ygor

Quote from: feureau on July 19, 2013, 01:54:59 PM
You know, if you compile ML for 7D and post it here, I bet some lunatic here has the balls to run it in their camera. Then we can take it from there...

Ok, I'll do it ASAP and see what happens.
Landscapes[/size]

tonybeccar

I know some people are using the 7D with HIGH bitrates... does someone have like a comparison of the video with and without the better bitrate?? I've read that people are shooting in ALL-I and 20x CBR... that seems too much!!! I'm thinking of investing in high speed cards but I'm not too sure about it...

Thanks!

feureau

Quote from: tonybeccar on July 20, 2013, 04:40:28 AM
I know some people are using the 7D with HIGH bitrates... does someone have like a comparison of the video with and without the better bitrate?? I've read that people are shooting in ALL-I and 20x CBR... that seems too much!!! I'm thinking of investing in high speed cards but I'm not too sure about it...

Thanks!

I posted a comparison between ALL-I and IPB and max CBR and low CBR a few pages back.

ThLDQ

Hi,
with the autoexec.bin, what files and directories must be installed on the camera card ?
I guess the ML directory included in the Alpha2 release, and ????

And I've just understood that the bootflag must be I don't know what ....
My poor brain has just exploded.
So I will wait someone to post the "ready to use" compiled ML-Alpha2 taht you just copy on the flash card and it works without any problem. you know, I've only got the "drag and drop" skill  :-\
Thierry