Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

Quote from: arrinkiiii on June 22, 2013, 01:04:18 AM
Hi Feureau, I went to the ML MOVIE menu and enter in the submenu of CBR... and this is my configuration:

Mode: CBR
CBR factor: 20.0x
QScale factor: -8
Video Hacks: on
Flush every: 24 frames
GOP size: 1 frame
BuffWarnLevel: 70%

Wend i press the rec button it's start but stop immediately. The card that im using with this settings are a SanDisk Extreme 60MB/s 8GB. Im recording at 24fps (23.976)  what you think that i should lower in my settings?

Change the flush to 4 and shoot without sound for maximum image quality. If you want sound, you need flush to stay at 24, so lower CBR to around 2.3

thome

QuoteOh, there are interests alright. I've been using ML's intervalometer and focus stacking and bracketing. It's just that all those features are done and tested and ready to use at any time. I don't need to find out what I did wrong with ML in such that, I don't get audio with my video, for example.

+1
The sad thing is that "not-working video features" seem to stall developement completely.
I'd love just to have the working stills features in a Firmware that stays on my camera.

At the moment I feel like there is some featureitis: implementing *everything* (eventually RAW video either and whatever ideas come in future) in one complete package - but this may last an additional year - or two - and will eventually never come as the 7D becomes older and older, newer cameras come faster than the tiny community here can patch and it gets less interesting to the devs and users, as they give up and buy a ML-enabled camera second hand.
Probably it would be better to go small steps and give out what works already - at least to get out of alpha with a small subset of possibilities.

I do have the greatest respect for the devs here - they do fantastic work on something I don't understand a bit of.
Keep an eye on your private lives and don't care about the "I wannnnnt to have" posts - like mine :-)

--
owning two cameras - 7D and 40D - is not good for ones nerves at this forum ;-)

arrinkiiii

Quote from: feureau on June 22, 2013, 06:10:31 PM
Change the flush to 4 and shoot without sound for maximum image quality. If you want sound, you need flush to stay at 24, so lower CBR to around 2.3

Its work, THANK YOU =DD

Settings: (sound disable)

Mode: CBR
CBR factor: 20.0x
QScale factor: -8
Video Hacks: on
Flush every: 4 frames
GOP size: 1 frame
BuffWarnLevel: 70%

Do you need to have ON in the Video Hacks? One thing that i noted is that wend you turn of the camera the settings for the bit rate will go to default... its normal? 

tonybeccar

CBR 20.0x???? Is the quality much better than 1.0x?

feureau

Quote from: arrinkiiii on June 22, 2013, 09:26:31 PM
Do you need to have ON in the Video Hacks? One thing that i noted is that wend you turn of the camera the settings for the bit rate will go to default... its normal?

if you want to use the video hacks, setting the GOP and all, you have to turn it on. And yes, it doesn't save the settings. This  is specific to the 7D. Devs said they don't want to have people complaining about settings that don't work, but now we have people confused over why the settings don't get saved. There were talks of how you can set the default values using the config file but no one would say which variables saved what.

Quote from: tonybeccar on June 23, 2013, 06:23:35 PM
CBR 20.0x???? Is the quality much better than 1.0x?

yes

arrinkiiii

Quote from: feureau on June 23, 2013, 06:53:59 PM
if you want to use the video hacks, setting the GOP and all, you have to turn it on. And yes, it doesn't save the settings. This  is specific to the 7D. Devs said they don't want to have people complaining about settings that don't work, but now we have people confused over why the settings don't get saved. There were talks of how you can set the default values using the config file but no one would say which variables saved what.

Thanks for the info  :D

It's already painful to upload ML every time, setting the bit rate and the ML FW it's to much for me  :-\

I need to send a email to G3ggo, if he can make a Alfa 2.1 for not uploading every time the Magic Lantern  Firmware. I know that every one that use a 7D wants this, more then everything... almost then everything (raw)  ::) Petition?

Do you know any treat that I can read about the ML bit rate (GOP, CBR, Flush, All-I, etc) ?

djoulbdx

Quote from: arrinkiiii on June 23, 2013, 08:33:35 PM
almost then everything (raw)  ::) Petition?

Do you know any treat that I can read about the ML bit rate (GOP, CBR, Flush, All-I, etc) ?

Hi,

I think that they know many people are waiting for the RAW video feature for the 7D ( and crop zoom etc....)
But It is difficult and they maybe have cancelled to work on the 7D. They prefer working on the simple DIGIC camera to purpose many new functionnalities for the other DSLR.

Maybe, with a miracle, we will have a Magic Lantern Raw function. But... When I read what the developpers have said, I think we will never see an update of the ML2.3 α2

They don't write anything here, on this topic... no news....
EOS 7D ML | EOS 5 (not D) | 15-85 3.5 5.6 | 580 EX | 28-105 4.5 5.6 | 100-300 | etc...

angelom

Quote from: djoulbdx on June 24, 2013, 09:04:39 PM
They don't write anything here, on this topic... no news....
That doesn't mean this:

Quote from: djoulbdx on June 24, 2013, 09:04:39 PM
... When I read what the developpers have said, I think we will never see an update of the ML2.3 α2....
The fact they don't write anything here doesn't mean that they aren't working to the code, no need to loose time writing something here until they'll have really something to say.
Maybe you forgot that months ago there was no chance to have ML working on the 7D and probably no one would have make a bet on it, but then they found the trick and now we're enjoying it.
You all know that they must understand how to use/program the dual processors system, after that they probably will be able to upgrade ML with a lot of new features.
Right now we must let them work on it without any kind of pressure, asking the very same questions a lot of times is not useful for anyone.

ty66

+1 for autoboot version. My 7d is half broken (without any sort of AF), so I relay heavily on ML focus aids in photo mode.

Could I enable BOOTDISK flag on 7d with magic.disable_bootdiskf = 0 "like" operation under fir version of ML and then compile my own autoexec.bin using https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src code?
7D ML | 400D plus | 430EX | 10-20 4-5.6 Sigma | 30 1.4 old Sigma | 60 2.8 macro Canon | 85 1.8 Canon | 200 4.0 Jupiter

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ty66 on June 25, 2013, 03:50:55 PM
+1 for autoboot version. My 7d is half broken (without any sort of AF), so I relay heavily on ML focus aids in photo mode.

Could I enable BOOTDISK flag on 7d with magic.disable_bootdiskf = 0 "like" operation under fir version of ML and then compile my own autoexec.bin using https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src code?

Can you do this? I don't understand nothing about code =((   Yes, at least  enable bootdisk flag for not upload everytime the ML.  Is to much to ask anybody in this forum to make this? Any one knows how to do this? Forget RAW (not), just a simple (maybe not so simple) bootdisk flag for not uploading every time the beautiful ML.

ty66

autoexec.bin file should be generated by default when compiling ML. Unfortunately there is no bootdisk_enable stubs in 7d platform code.
7D ML | 400D plus | 430EX | 10-20 4-5.6 Sigma | 30 1.4 old Sigma | 60 2.8 macro Canon | 85 1.8 Canon | 200 4.0 Jupiter

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ty66 on June 25, 2013, 04:36:01 PM
autoexec.bin file should be generated by default when compiling ML. Unfortunately there is no bootdisk_enable stubs in 7d platform code.

Yes, is what i think  :-\  :'(    Damn, just a simple boot flag...

djoulbdx

Quote from: angelom on June 25, 2013, 01:16:44 PM
That doesn't mean this:
The fact they don't write anything here doesn't mean that they aren't working to the code, no need to loose time writing something here until they'll have really something to say.
Maybe you forgot that months ago there was no chance to have ML working on the 7D and probably no one would have make a bet on it, but then they found the trick and now we're enjoying it.

They have written that It will be nearly impossible. It is written. You can read. Then, they don't need to come here to tell "nothing new" "nothing new"....
It is not the same problem that ML on 7D... They can not access to the 2 DIGICs for the RAW stream. They have managed to "enter", to hack the 7D but the problem is not that.

Then, they have written that if it is to difficult, there won't be any update for the 7D. The ML 2.3a2 may be the last one.

But I hope too... I have a 7D.
EOS 7D ML | EOS 5 (not D) | 15-85 3.5 5.6 | 580 EX | 28-105 4.5 5.6 | 100-300 | etc...

edgardave

I have to send my 7d off to canon as it is refusing to talk to any of the batteries I have. quite a common fault apparently! annoyingly it stops me doing a firmware update  >:(
its out of warranty so I have to pay myself but I wonder if they will be able to tell its done some above and beyond photography?

angelom

Quote from: djoulbdx on June 25, 2013, 06:42:57 PM
They have written that It will be nearly impossible. It is written. You can read. Then, they don't need to come here to tell "nothing new" "nothing new"....
It is not the same problem that ML on 7D... They can not access to the 2 DIGICs for the RAW stream. They have managed to "enter", to hack the 7D but the problem is not that.

Then, they have written that if it is to difficult, there won't be any update for the 7D. The ML 2.3a2 may be the last one.

But I hope too... I have a 7D.
"Nearly impossible" is not the same as "It's impossible".
They have written that's difficult and there're no reason not to believe them, only a fool can believe that's is simple to (re)write a firmware... again, "difficult" is not the same as 'it's impossible", so no reason to believe that the 2.3a2 could/would/will be the last one.

angelom

Quote from: edgardave on June 25, 2013, 10:32:13 PM
I have to send my 7d off to canon as it is refusing to talk to any of the batteries I have. quite a common fault apparently! annoyingly it stops me doing a firmware update  >:(
its out of warranty so I have to pay myself but I wonder if they will be able to tell its done some above and beyond photography?
Try to pull out the little round battery for at least one hour... just a try...

djoulbdx

Quote from: angelom on June 25, 2013, 10:56:26 PM
Try to pull out the little round battery for at least one hour... just a try...

Yes, I had the same problem last week, I pull out the little button battery 10 seconds and after no problem

djoulbdx

Quote from: angelom on June 25, 2013, 10:55:08 PMso no reason to believe that the 2.3a2 could/would/will be the last one.

Of course but on one message we can feel their despair. I hope to have an new ML with Raw, but for the moment, now, they work on the Raw module for all the other cameras. You can read it too on the forum somewhere and I talked with a developper on the chat... idem...

Pelican

As I wrote it here a few times before, anybody can make bootable 7D ML. Read back for details.
I use autoexec.bin from the beginning but the 7D ML has issues so I don't recommend to use it except for testing/playing.
Maybe 7D ML never come out from alpha stage because the developers always busy with exciting new findings like RAW video.
Don't forget ML was  impossible  on 7D almost for 3 years long...
So wait patiently or compile your own autoexec and enable your bootflag on your camera.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Pelican on June 26, 2013, 09:51:00 PM
As I wrote it here a few times before, anybody can make bootable 7D ML. Read back for details.
I use autoexec.bin from the beginning but the 7D ML has issues so I don't recommend to use it except for testing/playing.
Maybe 7D ML never come out from alpha stage because the developers always busy with exciting new findings like RAW video.
So wait patiently or compile your own autoexec and enable your bootflag on your camera.

Hi Pelican, can you post a link with the files already compile? For us, dumb people that don't know how to compile, have the possibility to have a bootable ML  :D 

Do you know what issues do you have with bootflag that you don't have without?

Thanks

tonybeccar

+1 on showing us how to enable the bootflag. Somewhere on the forum a user explained how to compile ML from source. But of course my compiling skills are not good enough and don't wanna make mistakes with my expensive 7D! If you could show us would be GREAT!! And please tell us what issues there are with the bootflag enables! Or is it the same alpha with its current issues?

Thank you very much! You'll be a life saver!!!

PS: If g3ggo could warn us from making terrible unreversible mistakes because of doing this I would really appreciate it :D

Cheers!

feureau

I compiled 7D ML from repo with bootflag enabled.

To run, you actually need to downgrade to the older 1.3 7D firmware. It didn't work well. Like pelican said, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Ended up restoring to the 2.0 firmware and using the alpha 2.

If you want the full ML experience, better get another camera.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: feureau on June 27, 2013, 03:38:51 AM
I compiled 7D ML from repo with bootflag enabled.

To run, you actually need to downgrade to the older 1.3 7D firmware. It didn't work well. Like pelican said, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Ended up restoring to the 2.0 firmware and using the alpha 2.

If you want the full ML experience, better get another camera.

Damn  :'(

Thanks for the info Feureau !!!

djoulbdx

Quote from: Pelican on June 26, 2013, 09:51:00 PM

That's I wrote before.

A big challenge is to improve the ML alpha or to developp  the Raw video on the 7D but it is less exciting..

ty66

Can't you downgrade firmware only to enable bootflags with dumper firmware and then upgrade firmware back to current version and then use ML alpha2 autoexec.bin. Or will firmware upgrade reset bootflags?