Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

Quote from: _iLiam on June 14, 2013, 01:12:20 AM
I feel like such a fool. I wasn't pressing the Q button on the menu to bring up the sub menu! I knew I was missing something obvious. I've been going all of these months with only half of the settings ML shows! What a fool I am. Thank you so much Feureau. Fantastic help  ;D

You're welcome! :D

jman

Just a really quick question. I enabled sound on the canon menu. When I went into ML and enabled CBR video hacks and tried to record I get no sound. Does the video hack automatically disable sound ? Thanks for your help.

mdwhaley

Go into the Canon menu and enable sound

jman

Cheers...did that.  Turned on sound on the canon menu. Went into ML and enabled video hacks. When I started to record it showed sound was disabled. Tried this a few times with no luck. Thanks for your reply.

jphansen

Stay in ML set up the video hacks and after that enable Sound via menu.. If it stops recording right away you have too High X bitrate.. Or a too slow card.. Lower The values..

jman

feureau

Quote from: jman on June 14, 2013, 07:48:53 PM
Cheers...did that.  Turned on sound on the canon menu. Went into ML and enabled video hacks. When I started to record it showed sound was disabled. Tried this a few times with no luck. Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, that is rather quirky behavior the devs put in. If you turn on/change settings in the video hacks, ML automatically disables canon menu. It's maddening, but was told it was due to that people will set the flush/GOP incorrectly and crash the ML and then flood the forums about it.

Now we have people who got confused about not getting audio when using video hacks and flood the forums about it.

nolken

I'm having problems loading the ML. It used to work. When I press "Firmware Update" in the menu, it brings me to a screen that says the 7D is up to date. I hit update and immediately the entire camera shuts off and will not respond for an indefinite amount of time. nothing on either screen and the access light is off. Ive let it sit for quite some time and nothing. the only way get the camera to turn back on is to take out the CF card. upon removing the CF card a screen pops up that says the update file cannot be found. i have to then remove the battery and re-insert it to get the camera back to normal. I've tried with both ML and the canon 2.0.3 firmware. I currently have 2.0.3 installed. I've tried both a canon battery and an after market battery. the firmware is definitely in the root folder.

Any ideas? Ive searched and have found nothing.

mdwhaley

Make sure the MAGIC.FIR is at the Root directory, your CF card should look like this...
DCIM
MAGIC.FIR
MISC
ML

Where DCIM, MISC, and ML are folders

rickpoole

Finally got some time to try focus stacking with ML.  Got some really great results after figuring out how to get it working correctly and it saves a tremendous amount of time compared to manual focus stacking.  Had to read the docs a few times to figure it out.  I do have a few suggestions to make it easier to use and less frustrating.

The first issue I ran into was trying to move my 10x viewing spot around while trying to set the ending focus point.  I have to get out of the ML menu, move the position, zoom in/out as needed, then go back into ML.  That wasn't too bad but it would be much faster if I can zoom the display in/out and move the viewing point around while in the menus.  Setting the starting point was more difficult when I had to be zoomed in 10x to ensure proper focus.  This requires exiting the ML menu, moving the viewing point and zooming back in then going back to the ML menu.  The problem arises when you start moving the focus setting (for setting the starting point) if you are not in the right place you can't see the part of the image you want for the starting focus point.  If you exit the ML menu and come back in when you try to go back to the Set End Focus Point it always rezeros it.  Since you can't zoom in and/or move the viewing point around while in the set focus menu item you only have one shot to get the starting focus point correct.  If you mess it up or can't see the part of the image you want you have to start over.  Plus, if you accidentally hit the wrong button, or press the multicontroller up or down vs left or right it zeros the focus point and you have to start over.  I'd suggest two separate menu items for the start and ending points and an ability to exit and go back to either to fine tune the settings.  Plus it would be tremendously time saving to be able to move the viewing point around and zoom in and out while setting the starting and ending focus points.

nolken

Quote from: mdwhaley on June 15, 2013, 10:16:48 PM
Make sure the MAGIC.FIR is at the Root directory...

yeah, it's definitely in the root directory.

beej

A little heads up - I seem to recall someone having an issue with their autofocus with ML running. I was at an event this weekend, and someway through the event I was going to do some video, so I loaded up ML, shot some video, went back to shooting stills with ML still loaded.

At one point my 7D's autofocus stopped being able to focus - I was a bit concerned, checked all the usual stuff (lens on AF, changed auto focus modes and so on), but the camera wouldn't auto-focus on anything, even when the contrast should have given the AF no problems at all.

So I turned the camera off and on again to unload ML, and the auto-focus went back to being fine, lightning quick and accurate, as I'd expect.

So while this is not much of a bug report, there is a definite case of auto-focus failure shooting stills with ML loaded, for some reason. If I can I will try to play with this and check the settings of the auto-focus failed images and see if I can reproduce this or give some clues as to what might be happening...

beej

feureau

Quote from: beej on June 16, 2013, 06:00:21 PM
A little heads up - I seem to recall someone having an issue with their autofocus with ML running. I was at an event this weekend, and someway through the event I was going to do some video, so I loaded up ML, shot some video, went back to shooting stills with ML still loaded.

At one point my 7D's autofocus stopped being able to focus - I was a bit concerned, checked all the usual stuff (lens on AF, changed auto focus modes and so on), but the camera wouldn't auto-focus on anything, even when the contrast should have given the AF no problems at all.

So I turned the camera off and on again to unload ML, and the auto-focus went back to being fine, lightning quick and accurate, as I'd expect.

So while this is not much of a bug report, there is a definite case of auto-focus failure shooting stills with ML loaded, for some reason. If I can I will try to play with this and check the settings of the auto-focus failed images and see if I can reproduce this or give some clues as to what might be happening...

I can confirm that this same thing happened to me before too.... I think there's some combination of settings that triggers this. I had to wipe ML and install from fresh.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: media100 on June 13, 2013, 11:51:15 PM
Hello,

what's the current state of ML-7D-development ? Anyone knows about that ? Haven't seen any posts from g3gg0 since a few weeks...
I would be very happy to have an auto-bootable version of ML, even if it's an alpha-version...

Thank you...

Yes, indeed!!! I wish that only we have the possibility to have an auto-bootable version... In the first post of this treat its say that was intentional...

Quote from: feureau on June 13, 2013, 12:48:09 PM
The first bitrate monster .FIR shoots All-I already. You just need to set the CBR/VBR to a high number. The second one is not All-I. Both do not have options to manually set this.

In the Alpha 2, in the screen where you set your CBR/VBR, there's an option for video hacks. Switch it to ON and you can then set the Flush and GOP (I forgot what it's called on that screen but it's the one immediately after Flush). Set the GOP to 1 and you're shooting All-I. (GOP stands for Group of Picture)

Good luck! :D

Didn't know about this! THANKS!!! Will trie this function :)

Viktor Fenster

I'm LOVING THIS. I almost sh*t my pants when the 1st alpha came out. You guys are amazing! :D

Question: Is anamorphic desqueeze on the agenda for the 3rd alpha?

rickpoole

It would also help if the up/down functions on the multi-controllers (7D) were ignored when trying to move the focus to set the starting point for focus stacking.  I've found an accidental up/down push on the multi-controller while trying to move the focus messes up the settings and I have to start over.

angelom

Since the beginning I noticed that the most of people are here to talk about video, very few of us talk about photographs and I wonder why: no interest about still images or what?

feureau

Quote from: angelom on June 20, 2013, 10:58:45 PM
Since the beginning I noticed that the most of people are here to talk about video, very few of us talk about photographs and I wonder why: no interest about still images or what?

Oh, there are interests alright. I've been using ML's intervalometer and focus stacking and bracketing. It's just that all those features are done and tested and ready to use at any time. I don't need to find out what I did wrong with ML in such that, I don't get audio with my video, for example.

Plus that RAW video is so hot right now...

ilguercio

Quote from: angelom on June 20, 2013, 10:58:45 PM
Well, i can't think of any more things needed to improve still shooting on our cameras.
Devs focus on video because that is the department in which these camera don't excel so there is a lot of room for improvement.
I guess that if any of us would come up with a feasible and really useful feature for still photography devs would be really keen to turn our words into reality.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

feureau

Quote from: ilguercio on June 21, 2013, 06:07:51 AM
Well, i can't think of any more things needed to improve still shooting on our cameras.
Devs focus on video because that is the department in which these camera don't excel so there is a lot of room for improvement.
I guess that if any of us would come up with a feasible and really useful feature for still photography devs would be really keen to turn our words into reality.

Indeed! And there have been alot improvements since the 7D alpha 2 came out. Stuff like auto-ETTR and dot tune autofocus to name a few. And yet, we don't hear about the 7D port of them...

charname

hi,

I just discovered this, thank you so much for the great efforts to get all these wonderful features out of my 7D!

I'm not sure if this is reported yet (I was trying Alpha2):

• LV gain shows no effect
  • in Play-Mode "100% on AF point" just does 100% on center, independently of AF point
  • ISO>6400 was not selectable in Movie mode

or maybe I'm doing something wrong :D... help would be greatly appreciated =).

Once again thanks and keep up the great work!

feureau

Quote from: charname on June 21, 2013, 02:02:55 PM

• ISO>6400 was not selectable in Movie mode

Disable highlight tone priority

arrinkiiii

Quote from: feureau on June 11, 2013, 07:01:05 AM

But I found the most detail I can get is by shooting All-I. Turn on video hacks, flush at your video framerate if you shoot with audio (you might need to lower your bitrate, naturally) and set the frames at 1. I can get about 350-400mbit/s with CBR at 20 with my 60MB/s sandisk.

You can't set the flush at 60 if you're shooting 60fps btw. It's set that way by the devs and no one would comment as to why.

Hi Feureau, I went to the ML MOVIE menu and enter in the submenu of CBR... and this is my configuration:

Mode: CBR
    CBR factor: 20.0x
    QScale factor: -8
    Video Hacks: on
    Flush every: 24 frames
    GOP size: 1 frame
    BuffWarnLevel: 70%

Wend i press the rec button it's start but stop immediately. The card that im using with this settings are a SanDisk Extreme 60MB/s 8GB. Im recording at 24fps (23.976)  what you think that i should lower in my settings?

charname

Quote from: feureau on June 21, 2013, 04:43:00 PM
    Disable highlight tone priority

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. I disabled ALO (in camera) and HTP (both in camera and in ML ISO-submenu). What confuses me... I enabled "Warnings for bad settings" and he keeps telling me "ALO is enabled". Is there another location where to shut ALO off which I might have overlooked?

Btw: Bursting ISO to 25600 in camera mode works fine, but in video mode it's limited to 12500.

Does anyone know if the other features I adressed ("LV gain" and "100% on AF point") are just not working yet, or am I doing something wrong?