Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharpmusic

Quote from: Digital Corpus on May 25, 2013, 10:01:34 AM
Your error was in notation. Upper case 'B' is bytes, lower case 'b' is in bits.

g3gg0 does plan on returning back to the 7D's development, but his focus lies on the RAW video development and regular life (I assume). Right now ML is running off of the slave CPU in the 7D. As far as he can tell, now RAW stream touches the slave. So, for the time being, maybe until the end of time, we will not have RAW video. However, we will get a good copy of ML. In earlier tests I've recorded 220+ Mbps h.264 video with CRB 20 on my Samsung 16 GB cards.

Yes sir, video and audio data rates have always been measured in bits hence CBR (constant bit rate, and High bit rate)

Digital Corpus

Quote from: sharpmusic on May 25, 2013, 10:07:03 AM
Yes sir, video and audio data rates have always been measured in bits hence CBR (constant bit rate, and High bit rate)
It's not necessarily audio and video. Its more the simple detail that it's a data rate. It's reduced down to bit for terms of how the controllers/processors interact, i.e. on a bit level. Storage is where bytes will come into play. Yes, we are still dealing with video in this context with RAW, but our storage devices for this medium are listed in the "X" notation for speed and MB/sec as well. As such, it's simpler for cmparing a RAW speed to teh card speed by using MB/sec instead of Mbps.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

feureau

You know, considering that we're having a hard time with getting to the 7D RAW stream, which might never even happen, I wonder if it's possible to get an update for the 7D alpha that includes a lot of the stuff that's been added since alpha 2 came out?

Or just add it to nanomad's nightly build or something?

EDIT: Sorry if that offends anyone, didn't mean to come off as demanding/self-entitled or anything. Cheers.

djoulbdx

Hi,

We are enthusiastic. We are not sure if it will be to catch the RAW stream to record it. Maybe we will be disappointed and frustrated. But I think that we must show Nanomad and the other that we are concerned and interested.

It is important to know that a lot of people intend for Nanomad and the team to motivate them.

I don't know if he has increased ?

At one point, he was optimistic. Maybe he is looking for a solution...Maybe he has abandoned. I don't know.

In the meantime, we are speculating to dream : The good CF speed by example...

EOS 7D ML | EOS 5 (not D) | 15-85 3.5 5.6 | 580 EX | 28-105 4.5 5.6 | 100-300 | etc...

hjulenissen

Quote from: Digital Corpus on May 25, 2013, 10:03:48 AM
1080i @ 60 fps == 1080p @ 30 fps, fyi. Interlaced means that there are half as many rows.
In terms of raw bandwidth, yes. In terms of content and interpretation of the data, no.

-h

djoulbdx

For the moment, no RAW video for the 7D... calculate the rate to buy the good CF if not necessary ;-) It is just for fun.
We have to be patient but we can expect. It is free :-) (not like a CF 1000x 128GB).
EOS 7D ML | EOS 5 (not D) | 15-85 3.5 5.6 | 580 EX | 28-105 4.5 5.6 | 100-300 | etc...

Ozgur

Hi, This is my first ever comment on this forum so it might sound rookie like but I'm wondering wouldn't it make MAGIC LANTERN happier if they work on EOS 7D for Raw shooting instead of 5D Mark III considering the fact that there are much more EOS 7D owners out there to download this amazing, time changing, Canon shivering software??

feureau

Quote from: Ozgur on May 27, 2013, 06:01:55 PM
wouldn't it make MAGIC LANTERN happier if they work on EOS 7D for Raw shooting instead of 5D Mark III considering the fact that there are much more EOS 7D owners out there to download this amazing, time changing, Canon shivering software??

Short answer: No.

Long answer: 5DMkII was what ML started on. Naturally, the successor would be the flagship model that ML works on. OTOH, the 7D Dual Digic makes it harder to work on compared to the single digic cameras, causing the 7D development to lag. We've only got to the first alpha in 3 years after the 7D was released. For a long time, it looks like the 7D was uncrackable, and it only got us to the slave processor of the two digic. RAW stream is on the master processor which is harder to access, if it is even possible anyway.

Add that to the constant nagging from the 7D community (me included), I imagine they'd be happier with developing the 5D-class cameras.

djoulbdx

We must be patient.
I follow everything that is said about the EOS in general. I like it. I am sure that they work a lot : for all EOS and maybe for the 7D.

mucher

Will someone kindly tell me what is the interval of the jpg dump(which is located in the debug menu)?

dbals

Nevermind-  finally found it in the audio menu.......   very cool- able to push the set button after a pic and it will record a short audio message.

Dan

My old question:

I did a general search on the Magic Lantern Wiki and came up with nothing so here goes:

What are Audio Tags?

"We've enabled these features since alpha 1:
* Advanced Bracketing (HDR)
* Intervalometer
* Audio tags
* Bit Rate manipulation
* [EXPERIMENTAL] Modify card flush rate for higher bit rates
* [EXPERIMENTAL] Modify GOP size (down to ALL-I or up to 100 for better (?) details)
* a lot of minor fixes"

Thanks,
Dan B.

StefanKeller.AC

I have to buy a new card and will be prepared for raw  8)
what is the fastest write Speed for the 7D?, which card is working fast in 7D?

Pelican

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

edwmotion

Quote from: StefanKeller.AC on May 31, 2013, 10:56:30 AM
I have to buy a new card and will be prepared for raw  8)
what is the fastest write Speed for the 7D?, which card is working fast in 7D?

Nice, you're getting ready for raw....  :D

Maybe when we can shoot raw, 5000x cards will be released  ;D

StefanKeller.AC

my Sandisk Extreme 16GB 60MB/s writes 53.8 MB/s

djoulbdx

Quote from: edwmotion on May 31, 2013, 12:29:50 PM
Nice, you're getting ready for raw....  :D

Yes but... For the moment, it is not for now.... Just a dream...

John-Jo

Big THANKS to all the developers out there!  Magic Lantern crew have made me very happy at many times.

1st when ML came to 7D- something I had decided was just not possible.
2nd when Alpha came out for 7D.
3rd when Alpha 2 came out. Really excited about bulb ramping + intervalometer.
4th a few days ago when I read that RAW rec had was working on non 5D cameras. -Have got a 50D winging its way to me right now because of this!
5th a few minuets ago when i read "uncompressed YUV422 and 14-bit RAW video recording " and 7D on the same page...

There seems to be a trend here. Things just keep getting better and better. THANKS!

I like reading that the developers are enjoying working on the 7D and thinking about all the cool things they can do with it. Happy to wait and wonder at what Alpha 3 may bring. Things like HDR video, YUV422 and not having to load ML each time are things that make me really excited for when Alpha 3 is released.

I would like to help in anyway possible for 7D developments. I know zero about code, but can follow instructions for tests etc :) 

Thanks once again.

PS
Quote from: StefanKeller.AC on May 31, 2013, 01:14:03 PM
my Sandisk Extreme 16GB 60MB/s writes 53.8 MB/s
my Sandisk 8,16,32 all write at 40.9, 44.5,44.5 MB/s     will see if I can get them faster.
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

djoulbdx

Quote from: John-Jo on June 02, 2013, 01:56:48 PM
5th a few minuets ago when i read "uncompressed YUV422 and 14-bit RAW video recording " and 7D on the same page...

There seems to be a trend here. Things just keep getting better and better. THANKS!but can follow instructions for tests etc :) 

Thanks once again.

Exactly the same thing. Wait...

jayzed

I recently bought an aftermarket AC power adaptor so I wouldn't run out of power when filming. As the adaptor is not from Canon the camera says it cannot communicate with the battery. Unfortunately, it then asks for a soft restart (or whatever it's called) and this clears ML out of memory. Reloading ML manually causes the message about the battery to reappear, requiring another soft restart, sans ML. Bugger.

Not a big deal and I assume it won't happen when the final auto-loading version is released. I've been happily using the 7D Alpha 2 since Christmas and it's an incredible tool.  I can manage fine with two batteries, I was just getting power hungry.

I wanted to give a heads up to anyone in the same situation. I apologise if this has already been covered, I haven't seen it anywhere but there's a lot of information around and I might have overlooked it.

breaker

I bought two cheap power adaptors ::). The last one claimed to be 100% Canon compatible, but non of those had the chip that is needed to be recogniced as an "original" battery so the camera wouldn't let me upgrade firmware (install ML).
I ended up with this nice-priced LanParte external battery which also can be charged when in use.
http://cheesycam.com/lanparte-external-battery-power-for-canon-dslr-test/

When ML autoload on 7d is released you can of course use your adaptor, but when setting the camera bootflag a battery with chip is needed.

EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

jayzed

Excellent option! Thanks, Breaker. I'd be more comfortable using DC into the camera if we're talking about unofficial gear. I can just imagine something shorting and giving the camera death by 240V (here in the UK). I know that anything sold in this country (such as my switching power adaptor) is extremely unlikely to do this but I have a vivid imagination. I'll check out the Lanparte.

tonybeccar

What? Raw video development on the 7D is not yet possible.. Where did you get that idea?

vegajay

In the inside of this thread
According to the utterance of g3gg0, yuv422 has already operated by 12.5fps.
About rawvideo, there is no information yet.

John-Jo

Quote from: tonybeccar on June 03, 2013, 12:08:34 AM
What? Raw video development on the 7D is not yet possible.. Where did you get that idea?

My original quote is here:
Happy to wait and wonder at what Alpha 3 may bring. Things like HDR video, YUV422 and not having to load ML each time are things that make me really excited for when Alpha 3 is released.

I read in this thread about uncompressed YUV422 @ 12.5fps as below... 

Quote from: vegajay on June 03, 2013, 04:01:08 AM
In the inside of this thread
According to the utterance of g3gg0, yuv422 has already operated by 12.5fps.
About rawvideo, there is no information yet.

But  djoulbdx says that RAW and YUV422 are the same thing? 

Quote from: djoulbdx on June 02, 2013, 06:59:00 PM
Exactly the same thing. Wait...

Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

Gippi

Quote from: John-Jo on June 03, 2013, 07:03:40 AM
My original quote is here:
I read in this thread about uncompressed YUV422 @ 12.5fps as below... 

But  djoulbdx says that RAW and YUV422 are the same thing?

The same g3gg0 did not write anything more about it, and this suggests that he is not longer working on 7D