Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lubaka77

Quote from: Kea on May 06, 2013, 02:21:55 PM
On my 7D, "Movie Restart" doesn´t work.
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Known issues:
* You have to reload Magic Lantern every time you use it. (this is intentional)
* when using HDMI output, frame drops may happen (to be verified)
* make sure your battery/adaptor is chipped, else canon menu will abort "firmware update" (= loading ML)
* movie restart and video effects menus visible but not working

Kea

Thank you, so I have to wait for the next alpha.

Serdcelov

It is waiting for updates ML, next week I stay abroad .... would love to take advantage of the updated firmware ... Maybe there is something like nightly releases at least try what that new features ...?? Best regards.

Prompt please, maybe there's an opportunity to make such a firmware function as a blackout ... so you can use the camera without darkening filters when shooting in the afternoon, in the summer on a sunny day at 1/60 1/120. something like the sensor is receiving less light, such as when using a low ISO. It is possible to implement? Then the regular means without additional filters can be removed during sunny weather. Thank you.

fixedframe

Brilliant! Using ML alpha 2 on the 7D, and so far the results are spectacular. Especially loving the overlays and the custom VBR--and the only issue I can report is that, occasionally, the camera stops recording at 3X VBR, but only when ML is first loaded. So, first try: camera records for maybe 2 secs, then stops. After that, it works seamlessly. Recording on a SanDisk Extreme Pro UDMA 6 CF card rated at 90 MB/s.

THANK YOU FOR THIS BRILLIANT FEAT OF ENGINEERING!

feureau

Quote from: Serdcelov on May 07, 2013, 09:42:30 AM
It is waiting for updates ML, next week I stay abroad .... would love to take advantage of the updated firmware ... Maybe there is something like nightly releases at least try what that new features ...?? Best regards.

Prompt please, maybe there's an opportunity to make such a firmware function as a blackout ... so you can use the camera without darkening filters when shooting in the afternoon, in the summer on a sunny day at 1/60 1/120. something like the sensor is receiving less light, such as when using a low ISO. It is possible to implement? Then the regular means without additional filters can be removed during sunny weather. Thank you.

I wish there's a nightly build too. One of the reason against releasing buggy firmware was that people would be nagging the developers for every bug they find, taking precious development time.

Anyway, what do you mean firmware blackout? As in lower than 100 ISO? That would be nice, but on other camera models, that dramatically reduces dynamic range. ND filter or stopping down is still preferable.

Quote from: fixedframe on May 07, 2013, 08:01:16 PM
the camera stops recording at 3X VBR, but only when ML is first loaded. So, first try: camera records for maybe 2 secs, then stops. After that, it works seamlessly.

Wait, did you mean VBR or CBR? VBR value is between 16 and -16, CBR is 0x to 20.0x

Also, I had issues on one CF card with camera sometimes stop recording after about 2 seconds. I formatted the card in-camera, then full-formatted the card (as in, writing bits to every location and deleting them while checking for errors) and I never had any issues with that card anymore. You might want to try that.

Also, for super-high bitrate, disable audio and you can push it to the max. (I managed to hit 500 mbits at some point)

Serdcelov

QuoteI wish there's a nightly build too. One of the reason against releasing buggy firmware was that people would be nagging the developers for every bug they find, taking precious development time.

Anyway, what do you mean firmware blackout? As in lower than 100 ISO? That would be nice, but on other camera models, that dramatically reduces dynamic range. ND filter or stopping down is still preferable.

ND Filter sell is a very high price

gmfbln

I know there's lots of amazing things on the horizon for ML - but for me and maybemany others an interims version which does not have to be loaded via firmware update all the time would be a real relief.

Could such a thing be released without too much work on dev's side or isthis functionality just not ready yet?

Thanks and sorry if I asked a question posed 100 times before.

Good luck with your endeavour!

pfluger

Quote from: gmfbln on May 08, 2013, 10:41:28 AM
I know there's lots of amazing things on the horizon for ML - but for me and maybemany others an interims version which does not have to be loaded via firmware update all the time would be a real relief.

Could such a thing be released without too much work on dev's side or isthis functionality just not ready yet?

Thanks and sorry if I asked a question posed 100 times before.

Good luck with your endeavour!
+1

I think the devs said only once it reaches beta/stable will this be added.

Definitely the only missing feature for me, too. Sometimes there is just not the time to manually load the firmware.

Gippi

Hi, if the beep is enabled is not possible to record any sound.... is a bug?

feureau

Which beep?

Also, if the video hack is enabled, ML automatically disable audio. you might want to check that out. Annoying behavior, but that's intentional. For some reason...

Serdcelov

Hello everyone! Please explain that to which the menu a bit rate change, in particular for what I do with video hack

mburgst

any chance that the new raw recording feature will be ported to the 7d? are the two processors able to deal with the data? i guess it could make the 7d video a little nicer, too... :)

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

rock soderstrom

danistuta

I read that YUV422 and 14-bit RAW video recording is possible even on 600d, I hope 7d dual processor could be used to reach awesome video quality, possible?:-)

Digital Corpus

Theoretically:
Quote from: 1% on May 13, 2013, 05:37:08 AM
7D has to be coded... should work tho.

I am eager to see where this leads. Granted out developer here is the one who made the breakthrough. Patience will reward us hopefully :)
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

Gippi

Quote from: feureau on May 12, 2013, 12:53:37 PM
Which beep?

Also, if the video hack is enabled, ML automatically disable audio. you might want to check that out. Annoying behavior, but that's intentional. For some reason...

Hallo feureau,
I don´t mean in video hack modus ;-) but in normal modus.
Any ideea?
Thank you!

(Audio Menu - Magic Lantern alpha 2)

REC/STBY notify

Custom notifications for recording or standby:

Red Crossout (highly recommended if you forget to press record)
    Message (it shows STBY or REC)
    Beeps (it will beep when recording starts or stops)   -------  I mean This Feature -------
    Blue LED (obvious if your camera has it)

arrinkiiii

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 14, 2013, 12:33:25 PM
7D: working on it, but it seems the interesting part is being handled on master digic that is harder to access (only via FIR)

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 14, 2013, 01:32:33 PM
i am not that optimistic that there will be a quick solution :(

I think that is not going be possible to us, 7D users. See how long that 5D users got all the things working on... Its sad but it's the way things are, unfortuned...

Maybe it's time to sell my 7D  :'(   I dont need full frame (its better for low light situations) just need the raw thing working in my 7D...

Gippi

sad to see that other developments are moving forward, but for us owners of 7d Months from now remains an incomplete version of magic lantern that does not grow. right  :-\ :'(
sorry my bad english

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Gippi on May 14, 2013, 02:15:51 PM
sad to see that other developments are moving forward, but for us owners of 7d Months from now remains an incomplete version of magic lantern that does not grow. right  :-\ :'(
sorry my bad english

It's true Gippi, even with 2 processors (that i think in the past that is a good thing, more thing to do with the 2 processores) but is the oposit, its more hard to code things.

For us, 7D users, we have to load every time the ML  :-\  , no hdr video... I think the only good man in the job for the 7D is g3gg0 and he do a good job but i think he have now a 5D III... so i think is better to sell the 7D (that i dont want) for we have the latest ML.

For me selling the 7D is not big problem but the lenses?? The lenses is the bigger issus for me. Im very happy with my 7D, imagine having raw in the 7D but with 60fps... for me im just imagin having only raw at 24fps, already good for me.

I wish that show up anybody that can code for the 7D, only g3ggo doing the job i think that we will wait long time or maybe never se the sun of having raw in ours beloved 7D.

And saiyng this, big up to g33g0 for code to 7D, if not him we dint have nothing!!! God bless g3ggo !!!

(also sorry for my inglish)

da.vanderzon

Patience, guys! Rather have a well engineered and tested version that takes its time than a rush job with disappointments and other problems.
Things take as long as they take. Take it from me ;)

arrinkiiii

Quote from: da.vanderzon on May 14, 2013, 03:22:16 PM
Patience, guys! Rather have a well engineered and tested version that takes its time than a rush job with disappointments and other problems.
Things take as long as they take. Take it from me ;)

Yes, you have totaly reason!!! But i think that is not going to be a easy task or not even be possible to port to a 7D. But lets have our fingers cross and pray to God  G3gg0 for he solve this code thing on the 7D. 

In the end canon always wins with ML. If they dont port to the 7D i will sell my and buy a 5D, mark 2 or 3. And people still work with video on canon dslr because and only of the ML soft. Canon shoud pay to the ML team. Because in the bottle end is canon that wins (money) ...we win camera with good software (ML) ...and thats ok for me (+/-) 

g3gg0

Quote from: Gippi on May 14, 2013, 02:15:51 PM

if that would be the generic 7D user opinion ...
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

arrinkiiii

Cry me a river
Cry me a ML for 7D    ;D

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

You go g3gg0, god of 7D users !!!

breaker

Quoteif that would be the generic 7D user opinion ...

Nope, it's not for the majority of 7D users. I have followed the developement of ML since you released ML for 7D. And even if we don't have all the amazing new features on our 7D's, I know it's all done for the best for every ML user - also for 7D users if it's possible.

Congratulation for the great job you, a1ex and the rest of the team have done with bringing 14 bit RAW to Canon DSLR! I celebrate with you - and I know you'll be back when the mission is completed :)
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D