Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xmd5a

My 7D stops recording after about 90 minutes of continuous shooting. The room temperature was 26 degrees Celsius.

a1ex

Back then, some 550D users had some luck with long recording times by turning the display off. Don't remember the numbers.

Evil Flip

From what I remember from the vimeo boards the overheating had to do with the Flashcards. I never had the problem though.

_iLiam

I was recording a few nights back for a club, it was extremely hot and moist as expected, yuck. But I was recording for around 1 and a half / 2 hours until my 7D just went black with half of the battery still remaining. I sat down trying to work out what had gone wrong, took the battery out a few times doing tests, no red light or battery low screen. I then put a backup battery into the camera and it booted up like normal, switched back to the other battery and the camera wouldn't start again. Only when I got home later did the battery start working again, still with half a charge?

Almost as if the battery overheated or something even though that's impossible with no sensors. Strange.
| Canon 5D | Canon7D | 85mm f1.2 | 18-135mm | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 f4 | 28mm f2.8 |
www.liamnewman.co.uk

Walter Schulz

Quote from: _iLiam on February 17, 2013, 05:43:31 PMAlmost as if the battery overheated or something even though that's impossible with no sensors. Strange.

Well, there are some components inside a battery pack. Overheating a LiON cell is not such a good idea therefore it makes perfectly sense to avoid this condition by adding a circuit breaker.
Disclaimer: I didn't disassemble it and didn't check the PCB inside. But I have a link:
http://www.camerahacker.com/Canon_Accessory/BP511_Disassembly.shtml

Ciao, Walter

RayG76nyc

@xmd5a how did you get your 7D to record for 90 minutes? 
I cant get my 7D to record longer than 12 minutes. Movie Restart feature seem not to work as well.

-Ray

xmd5a

Quote from: RayG76nyc on February 18, 2013, 12:29:26 AM
@xmd5a how did you get your 7D to record for 90 minutes? 
I cant get my 7D to record longer than 12 minutes. Movie Restart feature seem not to work as well.

-Ray
You have to press record button again when recording stops.

sammendolia

is anyone having issues with hearing the live audio, when connected to a monitor, or headphones connected via a Fiio unit, when recording?

Ottoga

Quote from: _iLiam on February 17, 2013, 05:43:31 PM

Almost as if the battery overheated or something even though that's impossible with no sensors. Strange.

Lithium Ion batteries go feral when they overheat - I haven't had a problem with my camera but  have experienced the same thing with my notebook battery. Unplug it and let it cool for a while and all is good again.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

mieliepap

I'm so glas to have ML on the 7D

Any progress on disabling AGC?
The canon 2.0.3 sound level adjustment still has agc. SO much noise, I'm still having to record sound on a protable recorder and sync up with pluraleyes. this works pretty well but the extra step in the workflow is costly in terms of time.

PhotoOp

any new news on 7D happenings ?  :o

-----------------------------
7D, D10, lots of lenses

feureau

Quote from: PhotoOp on February 23, 2013, 02:54:04 AM
any new news on 7D happenings ?  :o

Latest news is on the 7D itself is that the 7D Mk II coming out in fall. Rumored at 24mpix @10fps for $2200.

PhotoOp

Let me rephrase:

A1ex and/or G3gg0,

any new updates on ML 7D development?

I just watched the DotTune demo and I am excited! Congrats!

Yippee ki-yay,
PhOp
-----------------------------
7D, D10, lots of lenses

g3gg0

hi,

there is nothing new regarding to 7D-specific issues like:
- cpu load with HDMI monitor attached
- flush rate hacks with audio enabled
- fps override not available

all the other changes happening in main repository also work on 7D.
as the menu changes seem to have settled, i can check whats missing on 7D before making the next alpha.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

feureau

That's great news, g3gg0 :D

Any plans for having the 7D ML integrated to the main repo and get nightly builds? :D

Evil Flip

great news g3gg0, shame about the fps override, but we didn't have that to begin with, so I have no clue what I'm missing anyways  ;D

chris bouk

Hey everybody...
new member in ML forum, I downloaded the Alpha 2 for Canon EOS 7D and planning to test it during next week! I had some questions, but last week I spent a lot of time, reading quite everything on the forum about the ML on my camera and...no questions anymore!
Me too, I was wondering about a new release also, as many of you, but I think that I have to learn a lot about the current release and then "dreaming" of a new one....I will try to "install" the ML tomorrow at evening and do some tests...I hope that everything will be ok....elsewhere I will ask about your help....!
Best regards and many thanks to the developers!

Ottoga

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 24, 2013, 03:06:18 PM
hi,

as the menu changes seem to have settled, i can check whats missing on 7D before making the next alpha.

Great news G3gg0.  Hope a solution to the fps will ultimately be found.

Looking forward to the next release.

Cheers.... Otto
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 24, 2013, 03:06:18 PM
hi,

Btw, any news on the:

- plugin to allow saving of bitrate hacks (flush, GOP) config you mentioned (or just outright letting it save? is there a hidden.cfg settings I could use to do it now?)
- that hold the DOF button to keep the camera shooting at 8fps in low light

Thanks, g3gg0

chris bouk

Hey everybody...
I want to give a try to Alpha 2, but I have one question....
I downloaded the version in a zip folder that has 2 files, the 1st is called ML and the 2nd MAGIC.FIR
I have to extract both of the files in the memory card to boot the ML in my camera or only the ML folder?
I did format my card from by the camera and I'm ready to try it but I want to be sure about the right procedure because is not so clear in the description...
thank you in advance and waiting for a reply asap!

Akorn240

Chris, you boot from the CF card while in the camera. Both the Magic.fir and ML folder need to be together and not in a separate folder on the Card.

When the card is in the camera, use the menu to go to third wrench icon (sorry don't know it's name!). Scroll to the bottom and select Firmware. Select the Magic version.

Once loaded, you can press the Trash icon to being up the ML Menu. The firmware needs to be re-loaded every time you re-start the camera. Also if you format the card you will dump the firmware too!

Regards, Gordon
Canon 7D

breaker

Quote from: chris bouk on February 26, 2013, 10:20:24 PM

I downloaded the version in a zip folder that has 2 files, the 1st is called ML and the 2nd MAGIC.FIR
I have to extract both of the files in the memory card to boot the ML in my camera or only the ML folder?

Yes you are right. Extract the zip-file folder (that contains the ML directory and MAGIC.FIR) to the root of your card. Remember to use a cardreader - the camera wont let you write to the card.

Good luck!
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

chris bouk

...ok,huys thank you very much....
one more question, may I use also the menu of the camera as before installing the ML?

Francis

Yes, the normal menus are still accessible.

chris bouk

...sorry for the questions.....!!! and what about photography? I saw so many videos about ML but everybody had the video mode and nobody did a demo about photography....what does it meant?