Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

Unlike the multicore in desktop PCs for example, the 7D dual processor works as master-slave. My understanding is that ML only have access to the slave processor which controls the master of some sort.

At any rate, it seems the 7D has achieved the highest bitrate among canon dslrs so far? It shows that the camera has quite a processing power. Though there's no way we could achieve thousands of fps, I wonder how high we can push knowing that the record so far is at 36 fps. Maybe up to 48 fps?

Pelican

Last week I played with a small Canon waterproof compact camera (D20) and it can take 240 fps video in 640x480 (?) which sounds completely useless,  but when I filmed flying hummingbirds it made a wonderful slow-mo movie of their flight...
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

feureau

I think most if not all compact canon cameras can shoot high framerate at reduced resolutions. I wonder what ML can do if that sensor readout thing can be figured out. (eliminate moire even?)

slo-mo of sports also look great. I used my P&S to shoot slo-mo basketball once...

g3gg0

unfortunately the second digic doubles the overhead and we dont have just double processing power.
not sure why the 7D has two digics anyway, but a 600D which uses the same sensor has only one..
i think its just because of raw/jpeg processing. for "our use" the second digic dows not provide any additional processing power.

a second lane on your street doesnt make your car drive twice that fast ;)

and yes, we can use the second digic for our purpose. but the limited resource is the MPEG encoding hardware.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

feureau

Thanks for clearing that up, g3gg0!

Have you guys made any progress on figuring out that mpeg encoder thingy? Last I heard there's some talk on figuring out the line skipping/pixel binning thing?

Kea

First of all sorry for my bad English.
My greatest wish is for a 3 x digital Zoom in Magic Lantern  like on the 600d.
Are there any plans?
If that was possible I would love some donations.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

beej

Quote from: feureau on February 11, 2013, 11:34:46 PMLast I heard there's some talk on figuring out the line skipping/pixel binning thing?

Does that mean there's the potential possibility of being able to improve the video quality somewhat by intercepting the data before it gets line skipped etc? Interesting... I assume the whole line skipping thing happens to reduce the amount of data thrown at the encoder, otherwise why would Canon use this method?

a1ex

With line skipping, the sensor readout is 3x faster. Nothing to do with encoder.

I'm not aware of any advances that would improve downsampling.

eyeland

Thanks for all your great work! ML made my 60D SO much better and with this new release, I can finally jump on a 7D now that the prices are coming way down.
A few things:
Can someone point me towards a full list of working features on the 7D alpha2 compared to the "official" 2.3 release?

Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

feureau

I don't think anyone has compiled such a list. But I think the only feature missing from the 2.3 ML would be:

• HDR Video
  • That line reading thingy that you can use to make slit scan video
  • FPS override
  • ISO 25600

g3gg0 mentioned the audio thingy that hasn't been properly figured out for recording high bitrate video

Anything else?

eyeland

Quote from: feureau on February 12, 2013, 05:06:16 PM
I don't think anyone has compiled such a list. But I think the only feature missing from the 2.3 ML would be:

• HDR Video
  • That line reading thingy that you can use to make slit scan video
  • FPS override
  • ISO 25600

g3gg0 mentioned the audio thingy that hasn't been properly figured out for recording high bitrate video

Anything else?

wow, that is really nice!
Could someoe try the function that allows you to save with one PP while using another one for LV just to make sure that it isn't buggy?
I have one of my first paid gigs plus a wedding for my brother in law, and this ML update gave me the final push towards the 7D over another 60D :D

eyeland

One more thing, I'd love to see an implementation of the custom modes (C1,C2,C3) for ML

wodseme

Quote from: arrinkiiii on January 06, 2013, 12:46:51 AM
Until now the Alfa 2 rules. Its the best !!!

It's possible to get out uncompressed HDMI from the 7D with Magic Lantern? And more then the 60fps? If not why?

Thanks more one time for existing people that change the rout of man kind, THANK YOU.

I set "Clear Overlays >>> Recording" Soon as it starts recording, the LV overlays disappear. The HD monitor says 1920x1080i , but it does not fill the entre screen of the monitor. When I play back the file, it fills up the monitor screen. Putting the files on FCP7, it says  1080p files.
So...is this a compressed signal that am monitoring on the HD TV? I want to capture it

feureau

Quote from: eyeland on February 12, 2013, 06:33:18 PM
wow, that is really nice!
Could someoe try the function that allows you to save with one PP while using another one for LV just to make sure that it isn't buggy?
I have one of my first paid gigs plus a wedding for my brother in law, and this ML update gave me the final push towards the 7D over another 60D :D

The way it works is that when you switch to live view, it will display in one PP and when you hit record, it will switch to another PP. I haven't found any issues with it, though apparently, it kept turning this feature off more and more lately.

One caveat though: This is an alpha build, and it's not meant for production use. I've had my camera suddenly shut down for no reason that I can reproduce. Though it only happened maybe only two or three times in the past few months.

feureau

Quote from: eyeland on February 12, 2013, 06:33:59 PM
One more thing, I'd love to see an implementation of the custom modes (C1,C2,C3) for ML

How do you mean? they already works with ML.

The only problem I'm having that I can't seem to put my finger on is that when you put M in one of the custom modes, HDR would sometimes not expose properly.

palegolas

Fantastic. Seems stable for me.
issue:
I can't get rid of the transparent crop bars in live view even though I turn everything off... (I think)
Would be a great help since I'm using it for live visuals with HDMI out.

eyeland

Quote from: feureau on February 14, 2013, 07:30:31 AM
The way it works is that when you switch to live view, it will display in one PP and when you hit record, it will switch to another PP. I haven't found any issues with it, though apparently, it kept turning this feature off more and more lately.
One caveat though: This is an alpha build, and it's not meant for production use. I've had my camera suddenly shut down for no reason that I can reproduce. Though it only happened maybe only two or three times in the past few months.
oh.. I thought I'd actually get to use LV with one PP and save with another PP WHILE shooting :)
Yea, I realize that this build might not be that stable, but I have a backup-body to save the day if ML decides to reboot.

Quote from: feureau on February 14, 2013, 07:56:31 AM
How do you mean? they already works with ML.
The only problem I'm having that I can't seem to put my finger on is that when you put M in one of the custom modes, HDR would sometimes not expose properly.
What I meant was that I'd love for the ML srettings tobe relative to the Custom recall modes - is that implemented?

feureau

Quote from: palegolas on February 14, 2013, 10:03:01 AM
Fantastic. Seems stable for me.
issue:
I can't get rid of the transparent crop bars in live view even though I turn everything off... (I think)
Would be a great help since I'm using it for live visuals with HDMI out.

If you disable cropmarks, there will be absolutely no cropmarks at all in movie live view mode. Though the camera will only record what's inside that disabled transparent 16:9 cropmark.

feureau

Quote from: eyeland on February 15, 2013, 04:06:17 PM
What I meant was that I'd love for the ML srettings tobe relative to the Custom recall modes - is that implemented?

It is not. Though it's beyond the scope of the 7D alpha port. You should put a request in the main ML feature request thread. Search for it first in case it's been asked before.

rm2

Hi, I would like to ask, how instalation of ML works? It is copied into 7D (or it makes any modifications in 7D) or it is only file on card? So If I have got two cards, I need to copy ML to each card and update firmware for each card?
Thanks.

Walter Schulz

See first post in this thread.
This alpha version has to be activated each time you turn on the camera. This is installation step 4 as described.
Therefore: Yes, you have to copy it on each card if you intend to use this alpha version with both.

Ciao, Walter

eyeland

Is there a separate thread dealing with overheating issues of 7D video? (both concerning native settings and ML tweaks to bitrate etc)

g3gg0

Quote from: eyeland on February 16, 2013, 01:58:21 PM
Is there a separate thread dealing with overheating issues of 7D video? (both concerning native settings and ML tweaks to bitrate etc)

overheating?
is there a problem?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

eyeland

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 16, 2013, 07:13:43 PM
overheating?
is there a problem?
Not in particular in relation to ML, was just wondering if tweaking video settings with ML had a history of worsening the occasional overheating that some 7D video shooters are talking about.

If you have heard no serious mention of this alleged issue here, maybe it really is a non-issue :)

feureau

Quote from: eyeland on February 16, 2013, 07:34:53 PM
Not in particular in relation to ML, was just wondering if tweaking video settings with ML had a history of worsening the occasional overheating that some 7D video shooters are talking about.

If you have heard no serious mention of this alleged issue here, maybe it really is a non-issue :)

Never had overheating issue with ML. There's been gossip of 7D/5D shutting down due to overheating, but I've never seen on does that. Even when I was shooting or hours during summer in the desert.