Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

On that note, it seems the 7D development is not going forward as frenzy as the other ones anymore. (5D3, 6D, EOS-M) You see a lot of updates on the threads and bitbucket for those, but rarely on the 7D anymore. It's not even on nightly build.

With g3gg0 stating that there are no further plans and no news, I wonder if it's going back into hibernation like before?

But still, I'm saying this just out of curiosity and because I love the whole ML on 7D thing. No pressure to the devs or anything. There is one thing I have to say on the whole ML thing though: ML availability has become one of the top concerns on choosing future canon bodies for me. I most likely won't buy any more canon bodies that hasn't been properly ML'd. It's that important, and I'm really grateful for all the work done.

chrisdq82

hey i'm getting an error when i try to download the ML 2.0.3 alpha for 7D. am i doing something wrong? it pops up saying:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /pub_files/17248a00956f1e932457094756b2a3ba/magiclantern_7D_203_Alpha2.zip on this server.
Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at upload.g3gg0.de Port 80

what should i do? can someone help with this?

Pelican

I'll go back home at the next week, and I want to spend more time with 7DML developing.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

ArturoKiwi

Quote from: Pelican on February 06, 2013, 09:39:22 PM
I'll go back home at the next week, and I want to spend more time with 7DML developing.

Hi Pelican, if I don't break any rules I could put for a limited period of time the Alpha2 203 on a server onine

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

premini

Quote from: feureau on February 06, 2013, 06:00:35 AM
On that note, it seems the 7D development is not going forward as frenzy as the other ones anymore. (5D3, 6D, EOS-M) You see a lot of updates on the threads and bitbucket for those, but rarely on the 7D anymore. It's not even on nightly build.

With g3gg0 stating that there are no further plans and no news, I wonder if it's going back into hibernation like before?

But still, I'm saying this just out of curiosity and because I love the whole ML on 7D thing. No pressure to the devs or anything. There is one thing I have to say on the whole ML thing though: ML availability has become one of the top concerns on choosing future canon bodies for me. I most likely won't buy any more canon bodies that hasn't been properly ML'd. It's that important, and I'm really grateful for all the work done.

Just a thought, some times when you're changing big chunks of code, you dont commit anything for days even if you make progress because you could break the build or leave the program inconsistent. Maybe that's the case. i hope :)

g3gg0

there will be a new 7D release as soon the current changes to menu etc etc etc are done.
you dont want a buggy menu i think...

i am investigating loading from autoexec.bin the last 3 weeks.
its not possible that easy, so it will take its time.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Brawl

Hello to you all, I'm an italian student I study cinema director and I'm here for my first post so I wish to say hello to anyone! :)

I have posted here in the 7D ML thread because I have a question about 7D with magic lantern: I have not this DSLR but my teacher do have it. I have talked about this firmware to him a lot of times to let him know about this 'meraviglia' so at the end he asked to me to get information about how to try it. I belive I can help him to do it installing the firmware by following your tutorials and many guide around the web (youtube, etc, etc...).
I need to know if possible: can the current ML firmware for 7D archive the possibility to have custom bitrate? I have explained to my teacher that Magic Lanter allow the user to select custom bitrate to have some kind of "raw" files, I said him that having a super bitrate allow the filmmaker to work in post processing without the fear to loose in detail after having done the job. Can we do it with 7D and ML aready?
Is the firmware almost stable to install it to the 7D of my teacher (I risk my head eheheh)?

Thanks a lot for your help and having a good day,

Dan :)

beej

Quote from: Brawl on February 07, 2013, 01:50:44 AMI need to know if possible: can the current ML firmware for 7D archive the possibility to have custom bitrate?

Yes.

Quote from: Brawl on February 07, 2013, 01:50:44 AMI have explained to my teacher that Magic Lanter allow the user to select custom bitrate to have some kind of "raw" files, I said him that having a super bitrate allow the filmmaker to work in post processing without the fear to loose in detail after having done the job. Can we do it with 7D and ML aready?

Increasing the bit rate is not the same as the camera recording RAW video data, which is not possible at this level. Basically you can think of increasing the bitrate as a way to reduce compression and blocking artifacts in highly detailed or high-frequency noisey material.

Quote from: Brawl on February 07, 2013, 01:50:44 AMIs the firmware almost stable to install it to the 7D of my teacher (I risk my head eheheh)?

ML is an Alpha-testing release, therefore should not be used in production, and there may well be issues. However, most people have found it reasonably stable so far, so there is no problem in using it, particularly to play around and familiarise yourself with the features etc. Just be aware that there are no promises of stability yet...

feureau

Quote from: Pelican on February 06, 2013, 09:39:22 PM

Awesome! Btw, how did you compile for the 7D? I followed the getting started with development guide and I can compile for the other MLs but not the 7D. Was told in the forum that you can't compile it yet.

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 07, 2013, 01:08:52 AM
there will be a new 7D release as soon the current changes to menu etc etc etc are done.

Great news, g3gg0! Thanks for all the hard work!

StefanKeller.AC

I found some bugs:

1. with default settings, the 16:9 Ratio is not masked out in video mode
( therefore I cut some feet at the first shooting :) )
using the 16x9_blk cropmark.bmp now works, but the mark is shown in photoreplay (with overlays) too, although I switched that off in the settings

but
2. overlays in photoreplay are not shown reliable, usually they are not shown anymore after same time, (only?) reloading ML helps

3. replay often starts in the 2x2 or 3x3 images grid instead of showing single-image as usually.

my experienced bug with alpha1, that the AF with the outer Focuspoints refused to work, didn't happen anymore  :)

feureau

Quote from: StefanKeller.AC on February 07, 2013, 11:16:20 AM
I found some bugs:

1. with default settings, the 16:9 Ratio is not masked out in video mode
( therefore I cut some feet at the first shooting :) )
using the 16x9_blk cropmark.bmp now works, but the mark is shown in photoreplay (with overlays) too, although I switched that off in the settings

but
2. overlays in photoreplay are not shown reliable, usually they are not shown anymore after same time, (only?) reloading ML helps

3. replay often starts in the 2x2 or 3x3 images grid instead of showing single-image as usually.

my experienced bug with alpha1, that the AF with the outer Focuspoints refused to work, didn't happen anymore  :)

1. This is normal. You have to enable cropmarks or there won't be any cropmarks at all, even at default 16x9. I think this is enabled by default though, so you must've turned off the cropmarks at some point to cause the feet cropping issue you had.

2. Are you sure you have overlays turned on?

3. This is canon behavior. You have to zoom to default zoom and press info until you get the desired display

StefanKeller.AC

Quote from: feureau on February 07, 2013, 11:31:49 AM
1. This is normal. You have to enable cropmarks or there won't be any cropmarks at all, even at default 16x9. I think this is enabled by default though, so you must've turned off the cropmarks at some point to cause the feet cropping issue you had.

2. Are you sure you have overlays turned on?

3. This is canon behavior. You have to zoom to default zoom and press info until you get the desired display

1. no I renamed MAGIC.CFG  to check ->  Cropmarks are OFF by default

2. yes, they are shown by pressing the picturestyle button after startup, shooting and reviewing some time they are not shown any more , reloading ML helps

3. again no, I never had this without ML in 2 years

gmfbln

thanks a lot for your efforts, g3gg0 - good to hear development is still going on! take your time.

feureau

Quote from: StefanKeller.AC on February 07, 2013, 11:44:08 AM
1. no I renamed MAGIC.CFG  to check ->  Cropmarks are OFF by default

2. yes, they are shown by pressing the picturestyle button after startup, shooting and reviewing some time they are not shown any more , reloading ML helps

3. again no, I never had this without ML in 2 years

1. Okay, so just make sure it's turned on.

2. Can't help you there. It always shows up fine on my ML. Can you reproduce this using freshly downloaded set of firmware and tell us what you did so it can be reproduced?

3. This is canon firmware default behavior. (Without ML)  If you leave the preview at zoomed out at grid icons, if you go back to preview, it will show the preview at the last grid-zoom position.

canomax

Dear development-team,

thanks for all your great work to give the 7D new functions, that will give me new ideas for usage!

For me it doesn't matter, that I have to use the update-function to get ML to work ... either I work with ML or without. An automatic load and start is not necessary for me!

Regards
Gerd

StefanKeller.AC

Quote from: feureau on February 07, 2013, 12:14:14 PM
3. This is canon firmware default behavior. (Without ML)  If you leave the preview at zoomed out at grid icons, if you go back to preview, it will show the preview at the last grid-zoom position.

yes of course, but I didn't enter grid view before, may be a Problem with quickzoom.

btw:

4. Quickzoom can't jump to AF-Point ( and yes, it can be displayed by canon firmware )

breaker

Really happy to hear! ML for 7D have really given the camera new life. I couldn't imagine the possibilities this software have given the camera.
I love the new tab's on the 650D prealfa. And i see really nice things happens in the "UI rationalization" thread 8)
To me the missing ML autoload isn't the biggest problem. HDR video would be nice! Will the new alpha also include PicoC scripting?
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

jman

Congrats on the work on ML for the 7D !!
Just a question as I am new to this. What is to be gained from changing the CBR to say 1.4, 1.8...and so on if you can't record audio.
I do a lot of vids for bands that I sync the audio with so really I don't see how this could help. If I was shooting something without sound then fine. Would like to know if there was some unique work around. Cheers !!

feureau

Quote from: jman on February 10, 2013, 07:29:24 AM
Congrats on the work on ML for the 7D !!
Just a question as I am new to this. What is to be gained from changing the CBR to say 1.4, 1.8...and so on if you can't record audio.
I do a lot of vids for bands that I sync the audio with so really I don't see how this could help. If I was shooting something without sound then fine. Would like to know if there was some unique work around. Cheers !!

Yeah, don't turn on the bitrate hack, or, if you turn on the bitrate hack, don't forget to enable audio in the canon menu. The Alpha 2 has a strange .... quirk .... that the devs enabled that it disables audio when you turn on the bitrate hack. (this does NOT include increasing the CBR and VBR)

If you want to enable audio with bitrate hack on, make sure the flush is at your framerate. i.e. if you're shooting 24p, have the flush at 24. If you shoot 720p at 50fps, have the flush at 50. Unfortunately, the devs have decided to limit the flush at 50, so you can't shoot 720p at 60fps with audio. I hope this can be fixed for future releases.

Good luck.

jman

Thank you very much...will try this.  :)

Ottoga

Hi just wondering when the fps override will be available for the 7D.  I had a play with the intervalometer for timelapse and it worked fine but it gave the shutter mechanism a workout. Looking to try the same experiment using fps override.

Cheers.... Otto
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

bejohny

Dear developers, I'm really happy about current and future ML features, but since 7D has dual cpu is it possible to use this power to raise the FPS speed. Can we shoot at high speeds like 120fps or higher in full HD?

zah7

or like.. thousands fps in at least 2K ??  :o