Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelom

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 23, 2013, 07:19:04 PM
He is not the only one. Try using older EOSUtility versions like 2.10.x.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8646.msg157053#msg157053

Ciao, Walter
Tests were did with 2.9 and 2.10 versions, if not even older, as 2.11 was not available at that time, no luck.
But we're off topic here.

scrax

Quote from: Pelican on January 23, 2013, 05:30:31 PM
I can imagine for example a failed fw upgrade counter, but I don't believe if there is a limit for the normal fw upgrades.
I'm pretty sure that I read that from Trammel somewhere too. At first it looked like a firmware counter but then I remember reading that there was not a limit in firmware updates but in failed updates (and that counter could be also on all other camera for what I know)
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

ted ramasola

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 23, 2013, 09:27:29 PM
as said, there is no plan. we will see what comes next. i have no clue :)

Hello g3gg0,

Is it not safe yet to enable autoboot up of ML in your next release?

Thanks for your efforts,

Ted
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

f44876

So I booted up ML for the first time on my 7D. I followed all directions accordingly. It seemed to install, but I can't access the ML menu, and at this point I'd just like to take whatever ML put on my camera off until a the stable build comes out. But since I can't access the menu I can't do a full uninstall. Maybe it never actually installed?

Can anyone experienced offer me some insight?

nanomad

Alpha builds don't touch anything in the camera. You can simply delete the files from the card
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

f44876

Glorious. Thank you. I was having one of those senior moments were you think you've done something terribly wrong with a technology you don't understand.

Pelican

I'm a big fan of ML but I not recommend to anybody to use 7DML for anything except testing.
I'm using it from the beginning (from autoexec.bin) and I took about 20.000 images with it but it is not safe for production work, I lost a lot of good actions because somehow the camera's settings changed. So before a final or a beta version we should fix those things.

(It's not a complain, I know what I'm doing, I took the risk to use the ML on my camera.)
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

StefanKeller.AC

hjulenissen

Hi all

Thanks to the devs for extending the possibilities of my 7D.

I have experienced one bug. When engaging the focus peaking feature in live view, the camera seems to reboot after one minute or so. Happened twice. Is this a known issue?

The focus peaking overlay also seems "noisy". Would it be an idea to apply median filtering or some other "clustering" of sharp pixels?

best regards
.h

a1ex

There's very little CPU power for real-time focus peaking; if you can optimize it to be fast enough and also use median filtering (or whatever other algorithm), be my guest and give it a try.

1%

the new peaking is now very nice. very little slowdown on 600D. the blinking dots peaking is all over the place. suprised its crashing on 7d as 600d is technically lower, is it not?

vegajay

Probably in movie mode, it is.
ML digital iso (digic) in the suboption of iso is not operating normally.
Even if it changes a value, brightness does not change.
even if it checks a recorded thing -- the same  :-[

peerke007

I shoot a lot of video with my 7D. I use a sennheiser wireles microphoneset and record the audio on my Zoom  because when I record audio on the 7D there always is a hiss ons the background. This is a well known problem with de 7D. AGC is probably the reason for this problem. ML doesn't have the option to shut off the AGC I believe, maybe in a next version. I would be great. Has anyons experienced this problem as well?
Peter

rock soderstrom

Since canon firmware 2.0 you can deactivate AGC on your 7D!

peerke007

I dont believe you can turn AGC off with 2.0.3. You can adjust audiolevels, but there remains a hiss because of the acg....

Mare

You can eliminate hiss and other sound anomalies in post production with gain and EQu and will be ok. AGC can produce little hiss, but is almost not noticeable, the main problem of AGC is that in some situations is out of control, for example: very loud environment. If you have manual control over audio levels there is no more auto gain level.

Sorry for my bad English

_7D_

Hi Guys!

I would really like to be on the current status, so I´d like to compile the code by myself. But I think I don´t have the necessary knowledge.

So - can anybody maybe compile the newest code and upload it anywhere? That would be so fantastic!

Greets, _7D_

g3gg0

as we are currently in alpha state, that is limited to FIR booting ("Firmware Upgrade" functinality), releases can just be made by us.
you cannot compile it on your own yet.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

feureau

Wait, so pelican said they've been using it with autoexec.bin. Doesn't this means that you have to compile the alpha yourself to do this?

As I understand it, FIRs must be signed with some encryption keys that only some of the devs have to avoid copyright violation thing, but users are free to compile autoexec.bin (I think means with bootflag enabled to auto load ML everytime you turn on the camera)

I've been playing with an ubuntu VM following the getting ready for development guide, does this mean the two 7D folders I pulled with the rest of ML from bitbucket won't compile or something?

a1ex

There is a developer FIR that enables the bootflag: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/7D_support (on 1.2.3 firmware).

There are a few things unsolved for the autoexec version, so at the moment it's more difficult to get it running, compared to the single digic cameras.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 27, 2013, 03:53:25 PM
as we are currently in alpha state, that is limited to FIR booting ("Firmware Upgrade" functinality), releases can just be made by us.
you cannot compile it on your own yet.

Could you please release a dev kit so I can compile the newer Bulb Ramping function from unified?  I am using it with 5D3 and work fairly good, but on 7D I have problems as noted here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4259.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

feureau

Quote from: a1ex on January 28, 2013, 08:12:41 AM
There is a developer FIR that enables the bootflag: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/7D_support (on 1.2.3 firmware).

There are a few things unsolved for the autoexec version, so at the moment it's more difficult to get it running, compared to the single digic cameras.

Ah, I see. At any rate, I've been enjoying ML so much lately. The grassroot effort side alone made me more curious about programming (I've been using http://www.computerscienceforeveryone.com/) and figuring out setting up my own VM with all the stuff for ML has been fun. :D

That being said, I only wanted a 7D ML that can record video in All-I by default. Apparently there's no setting for this in the config file either, so I guess it has to be compiled from source. I hope it wouldn't be too much to ask for a custom build with minor tweaks like this? :D Please? Just video hack on with GOP at 1 by default.

That reminds me, is it possible to raise the flush to 60? Apparently this would allow 720p recording at 60 fps with audio.

Otherwise, I think it'd be great if there could be a dev kit to let us to compile custom ML :D Would be fun to learn all this stuff.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Serdcelov

g3gg0
Hi! Please tell me when a new version? I'd like to try the new features! Thank you! With best wishes, Vladislav

gmfbln

g3gg0,

happy new year to the man who was Santa for so many of us last year! :-) 

Yes please, can you estimate if and when loading ML from within the camerea will be available? As the BlackMagic Cinema Camera gets delivered so slowely I guess many of us will be happy to use their 7D with ML.

But as I'm going to Australia in April I'm a bit afraid ML will be not as useful to me as it could as keeping the camera running all the time will shurely heat it up too much down under (had this problem twice before in Oz when I did interviews and had to stop inbetween as the 7D turned too hot although it was kept off at all times not necessarily running).

Thanks a lot for all your efforts so far!

beej

Just a little polite notice for everyone asking "when will XXX be done..." the answer is mostly "don't know" or "when it's done".

The ML team work on things in their spare time, so development has to fit in around what those guys are doing - not only that, but the nature of development, especially the kind of reverse-engineering that goes on in the case of something like ML, is unpredictable. A single issue might be fixed in five minutes, or it may take six months to solve.

Chasing the devs for ideas about timescales, feature implementations and so on is a little pushy. They will get to it in their own time and announce what they are working on and so on here. So feel free to ask about features, the progress of things and so on, but the "when" question only really serves to slightly irritate devs.