Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

You mean no audio being recorded in the video, or no beep recorded in the audio?

If the problem is no audio being recorded, you might want to check your audio setting in the regular audio enable/disable auto/manual level setting in the canon menu. The audio also gets disabled when you enable the video hacks settings (to set the flush and GOP thingy).

Mare

Well, sound recording on other settings work fine, just when you choose beep notification for start or stop recording, you can hear the beep (that's OK), video is recording, but no sound recording.
It would be fine and much easier for sync audio with video in post, because now with ML  :D I can trigger (start and stop) video with remote controller, audio is anyway rec by other device.

:)

beej

Not sure whether this is a bug, a general ML implementation detail or whatever, but:

If I set Movie Rec Start/Stop to a half shutter press, it works as expected. However, I have back-button focus setup (AE Lock Button -> Metering & AF Start) and do not have focus on the shutter button. If I hold the "*" button to focus, on release the camera will go into record mode - in short, when movie start/stop is set to half-shutter, a back-button focus operation will also cause a movie start/stop operation.

This is contrary to the behaviour I would expect :)

I would like the back button to not trigger movie start/stop, so I can focus as usual without starting/stopping recording...

Also - I wish quick erase would also work for movie files, it only seems to work for picture files...

nanomad

It's probable that both buttons send the same event code.  If it so,  there's little we can do
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

madebysander

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 16, 2013, 01:04:56 AM
well, i talked about ML settings.
i could not reproduce the problem. i always get 9 images if i set it to 9

shoot in M-mode
ML settings
bracket type  exposure
frames 9
ev 1.5
sequence  - + -- ++
iso shifting of
post scripting of

camera setting iso 200
F9
live mode on
focus with live mode
then lens on manual focus
and push the shutter button.

between shot 7 and 8 it beeps once same beep as minute counter on bulb.
and after shot nr 8 it stop.

feureau

Quote from: madebysander on January 19, 2013, 10:42:20 AM
between shot 7 and 8 it beeps once same beep as minute counter on bulb.
and after shot nr 8 it stop.

I tried this settings three times on different lighting conditions, but I'm still getting 9 out of 9 frames. Can you try fresh-install a newly downloaded ML to your card? (format the card, copy newly downloaded alpha 2 into card) and see if it still has this problem?

MLforever

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 16, 2013, 01:04:56 AM
well, i talked about ML settings.
i could not reproduce the problem. i always get 9 images if i set it to 9

Quote from: feureau on January 20, 2013, 12:14:01 AM
I tried this settings three times on different lighting conditions, but I'm still getting 9 out of 9 frames. Can you try fresh-install a newly downloaded ML to your card? (format the card, copy newly downloaded alpha 2 into card) and see if it still has this problem?

Hi guys,
I've registered, because g3gg0 and feureau could not reproduce a bug/glitch found by madebysander.
YES, my 7D has the same glitch too.
v.2.3 built on 2012-12-23 23:12:12 by g3gg0

It is not an "Auto"-frame, nor 9th-frame problem.
Something, working in Live-View by changing from M to BULB is responsible for this glitch.

Explanation:
1) It is not a 100% reproducible bug (some time 20% some time 50%), but annoying. Therefore, I think reinstall will not help.
The glitch occurs ONLY in Live-View mode if ML need to change the mode for example from M to BULB after you reach 30 second-limit.
The workaround for me -> dont use Live-View mode after 30sec-limit.

To have a chance to catch the bug you need to shoot (in Live-View mode only) even TWO photos with change to BULB in between.
You dont need to shoot 9 times.

Example:
t1=30sec in M (lens cap closed)

bracket type: exposure
frames: 2
ev increment: 1ev
sequence: 0 + ++
iso shifting: off

Try it 5 times to be sure.

UPDATE
Very repeatable is following:
If you set t1=30, f=11 in M (lens cap closed) you get t2=64sec in ocular-mode, but 63sec in Liveview-mode.
One second is some-how lost.

If bracketing breaks, there is an additional accoustic warning.

Hope I could help.
This bug has something to do with memory, threads and communication in between .. you know.
You are great, guys! It is not easy to hack a dual-cpu system .. very big respect and deep gratitude!

2) I dont use ALO. Newertheless, I receive warnings about "ALO is enabled". Warning-settings are on, of course.
It is interesting to see warnings, but not this one. Is it a bug?
UPDATE: It is a bug. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3974.75
Because I always get this warning by HDR bracketing glitch, could they be correlated to each other?

3) Why can I set only 9 HDR-frames, but not as in ML2.3 (non-7D) unlimited? If you can 9, why you cannt 50 in 7D?

4) Why is bracketing in ML slower than fast canon bracketing?

Thank you guys, again!

g3gg0

hi, thanks for that detailed explanation.
will check tonight again.

i will answer some of your questions:

3) this seem to have changed since v2.3 and is not 7D-specific.
to be honest - why do you need more than 9 brackets?
if you do HDR, you normally would need up to 5 or 7 iirc (or let ML decide it automatically)

4) canon knows how to tell the correct devices what to to in which order and how fast.
we are basically looking if an image was taken and then shoot the next one.
but alex found out some interesting stuff and improved that for 5D3 already.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

MLforever

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 20, 2013, 01:24:32 PM
hi, thanks for that detailed explanation.
will check tonight again.

i will answer some of your questions:

3) this seem to have changed since v2.3 and is not 7D-specific.
to be honest - why do you need more than 9 brackets?
if you do HDR, you normally would need up to 5 or 7 iirc (or let ML decide it automatically)

4) canon knows how to tell the correct devices what to to in which order and how fast.
we are basically looking if an image was taken and then shoot the next one.
but alex found out some interesting stuff and improved that for 5D3 already.

Thank you for your fast answer!

3) Bad news if it is so. But for 2.3 is reported "Number of bracketed shots: unlimited."
http://www.magiclantern.fm/releasenotes

I need this feature to be sure to catch REALLY full light available in small 0.5-1EV (to minimize noise) stops.
And then develop photos and play with them as I wish.
To make an artifical look for example.
If you have in one situation a very big difference in shadows and lighs (chandelier, lustre ..)
you will have more then 30 EV stops inbetween to catch vacuum-tube coil and deepest room schadows.

The limited possibilities of displays and eyes has nothing to do with, it is about security, time saving and artifical choise of lights.
I think it is great to have possibility to transform the night to the day and sometimes something inbetween.

And for a non-moving objects I like to do the job fully automatically and simultaneously be fully sure about the result,
because you can always delete taken photos, but you cannt make the same new scene.

4) It is really great! Thank you very much for your work!

Have nice day!

a1ex

In autodetect mode, the number of frames is unlimited (as many as needed). Or, edit your config file and place 100 frames if you really need that.

MLforever

Quote from: a1ex on January 20, 2013, 02:32:00 PM
In autodetect mode, the number of frames is unlimited (as many as needed). Or, edit your config file and place 100 frames if you really need that.

Thank you!
I am very new user of ML.
Which config is it?
Could you give a step-to-step procedure or what should I search for?

Btw, how can be autodetect mode unlimited (as many as needed)?
How can I set, that for example 99,9999% but not 99,0% of light will be saved?

MLforever

Found it for config, thank you!
But can you recompile the sources, to set it permanetly up to for example 0-99?
Btw, do I need always PC to change config file now?
There is no parameter editor in 7D.

feureau

Ooh! This is neat!

I opened it up. Is there a h264 setting I can add for custom enable bitrate hacks, flush, and GOP settings?

Thanks

Serdcelov

g3gg0, Hello!

Please tell me, when it is expected the new version, at least roughly :)) Love your work, soon I will have PayPal, I will make a donation.
Please add the new version of a full opportunity to work with silent pictures.

icooleric

Some rumors said that 7D has a firmware update limit, is it true?
I want to turn off  AGC while recording.... :'(

Walter Schulz

The only limit I'm aware of: Canon doesn't support downgrading firmware v2.x back to v1.x.

Ciao, Walter

g3gg0

Hi,

there is no plan for the next alpha.

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Pelican

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 23, 2013, 09:08:59 AM
The only limit I'm aware of: Canon doesn't support downgrading firmware v2.x back to v1.x.

Ciao, Walter

That's not correct, you can downgrade with EOS Utility.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

angelom

Quote from: Pelican on January 23, 2013, 04:18:00 PM
That's not correct, you can downgrade with EOS Utility.
No, you can't, at least not changing the version.
If you've upgraded to 2.x you're no longer able to downgrade to 1.x, sure not with EOS Utility, checked it time ago.
You can only downgrade whitin the same version, for example you can downgrade from 2.0.3 to 2.0.1.
About the number of firmware upgrades I remember I've read on Magic Lantern site, months ago, that they did too many firmware upgrades on the 7D, used for test/development, and suddenly the camera refused to do other upgrades so maybe there's really a maximun number of firmware upgrades (probably higher than needed for standard users waiting only for official updates but not so higher for developers).

Angelo

Pelican

Quote from: angelom on January 23, 2013, 05:00:21 PM
No, you can't, at least not changing the version.
If you've upgraded to 2.x you're no longer able to downgrade to 1.x, sure not with EOS Utility, checked it time ago.
You can only downgrade whitin the same version, for example you can downgrade from 2.0.3 to 2.0.1.

I repeat, that is not correct, I did it a few times without any problem (from 2.x.x to 1.x.x).
Quote from: angelom on January 23, 2013, 05:00:21 PM
About the number of firmware upgrades I remember I've read on Magic Lantern site, months ago, that they d id too many firmware upgrades on the 7D, used for test/development, and suddenly the camera refused to do other upgrades so maybe there's really a maximun number of firmware upgrades (probably higher than needed for standard users waiting only for official updates but not so higher for developers).

Maybe there is something, but I did so many fw upgrade in the last three years so I should reach that limit but I didn't.
I can imagine for example a failed fw upgrade counter, but I don't believe if there is a limit for the normal fw upgrades.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

angelom

Quote from: Pelican on January 23, 2013, 05:30:31 PM
I repeat, that is not correct, I did it a few times without any problem (from 2.x.x to 1.x.x).
This sound very strange, myself and all the people I know that tried many times to downgrade the 7d from 2.x to 1.x were unable to do so, there was a test that we did whitin a photography forum and all owners got the same result.
You're the very first one I hear that was able to do that...

Maybe there is something, but I did so many fw upgrade in the last three years so I should reach that limit but I didn't.
I can imagine for example a failed fw upgrade counter, but I don't believe if there is a limit for the normal fw upgrades.
Maybe, but only Canon knows for sure.
Anyway let's go ahead with Alpha 2 testing!  8)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: angelom on January 23, 2013, 06:44:13 PM
This sound very strange, myself and all the people I know that tried many times to downgrade the 7d from 2.x to 1.x were unable to do so, there was a test that we did whitin a photography forum and all owners got the same result.

He is not the only one. Try using older EOSUtility versions like 2.10.x.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8646.msg157053#msg157053

Ciao, Walter

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 23, 2013, 01:17:39 PM
Hi,

there is no plan for the next alpha.

So, the next one will be a "final build"? :D like, unified with the rest of the ML family? :P

g3gg0

as said, there is no plan. we will see what comes next. i have no clue :)

jphansen

I got an idea.. Lets figure out how to use an iPhone or iPad as monitor.. wireless :-D fullHD of cause  ;D

And drink some beers?

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 23, 2013, 09:27:29 PM
as said, there is no plan. we will see what comes next. i have no clue :)