Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beej

Quote from: DaveVegas on January 01, 2013, 11:42:30 PMA little shortfilm called "The Visitor". I shot everything on a 7D with bitrates between 100-150mbps and all I-Frames. I really did see the difference in post.

Nice, Dave! I'm not going to ask about the opening shot... ;)

What was the difference in post you speak of? More flexibility in the grade? Or for VFX?

Nice work on the sound design too.

I'd really like us folks to boil down some preset settings for the bitrate feature, because at the moment I don't really understand what many of the settings are doing and sometimes judging the interplay of a few of these variables can be quite difficult to discern and understand the behaviour of...

Flownez

Quote from: DaveVegas on January 01, 2013, 11:42:30 PM
A little shortfilm called "The Visitor". I shot everything on a 7D with bitrates between 100-150mbps and all I-Frames. I really did see the difference in post.

Nice one Dave! Looks great.

Quote from: beej on January 02, 2013, 05:59:20 AM
Lol ;)

-flownez-

cycorythm

Thanks for the new update Christmas present!!  Can't wait to try it out and pass on some $$ once the donation link is back and all the other Christmas presents are paid off.

DaveVegas

What do you mean? The short was shot in a ski-area and I went on a skilift with my 7D and just shot some trees :)

What was the difference in post you speak of? More flexibility in the grade? Or for VFX?

Nice work on the sound design too.

Thank you for the kind words! I definitely experienced a wider range of possibilities while grading, also the noise reduction didn't result in a mess as it usually does (Makes the image washed-out). The visual effects in this one are basically just some lens flares and these were as always.

Keep it up, higher bitrate definitely makes the post-process better!

By the way my settings were balanced, VBR, Q-16, Flush 24 (Because of sound) and GOP at 1 (That way you can edit faster without transcoding). Also forgot to mention I tested out some anamorphic lenses I got.

Thanks!
Best

beej

Quote from: DaveVegas on January 02, 2013, 02:38:08 PM
What do you mean? The short was shot in a ski-area and I went on a skilift with my 7D and just shot some trees :)

"Right, I need this tracking shot through this car park. Ok guys, you can rig up the skit lift here..." :D

Quote from: DaveVegas on January 02, 2013, 02:38:08 PMI definitely experienced a wider range of possibilities while grading, also the noise reduction didn't result in a mess as it usually does

When you say noise reduction, are you doing this in post, and what ISO where you typically shooting at?

For me, while NR does get decent results, it's very easy to blur the image too much and lose detail, and the NR batch process is really processor intensive which is a bit of a pain.

Quote from: DaveVegas on January 02, 2013, 02:38:08 PMBy the way my settings were balanced, VBR, Q-16, Flush 24 (Because of sound) and GOP at 1

Thanks for that, I will give this stuff a try - I've just been reading through the bitrate monster thread to get some overview on the settings...

_7D_

Hi Guys!

I've made some tests with ISO 6400 in my room. I used Q -16 and GOP 1. I started with a flush rate of 25 - I was able to record about 10-15 seconds. I wanted more so I decrased the flush rate to about 5. Now the strange thing: The buffer of my 7D was full after about 3 seconds. So - why is the second record shorter? Shouldn't it be a little bit longer than the first one?

DaveVegas

Quote from: beej on January 02, 2013, 04:50:58 PM
"Right, I need this tracking shot through this car park. Ok guys, you can rig up the skit lift here..." :D

When you say noise reduction, are you doing this in post, and what ISO where you typically shooting at?

For me, while NR does get decent results, it's very easy to blur the image too much and lose detail, and the NR batch process is really processor intensive which is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for that, I will give this stuff a try - I've just been reading through the bitrate monster thread to get some overview on the settings...

I was shooting up to 3200 ISO and I used Neat Video noise reduction (best one available in my opinion) and it gave pretty good results.

Best!

feureau

Has anyone tried recording 720p at 60fps with audio?

I tried recording at 720p 50fps with audio and it completed recording up to 4gb successfully. Set the flush to 50 and GOP at 1.

But recording 720p at 60fps with audio, it seems one would need to set the flush to 60 which can't be done because the flush only goes up to 50. I tried setting it to 10, 24, 25, 30, and it would stop recording after a few seconds. GOP  set at 1.

I've tried this with various CBR/VBR rate with the same results.

Can anyone confirm this?

tonybeccar

I really liked the short Dave!! Inspired in Close Encounters I assume :P!! REALLY liked the camera movement when the character sees the light for the first time... And, of course, got a little scared in the end, haha..

I wanted to ask you something.. what lenses did you use?? Because I gotta say the texture of the movie was nothing like digital.. you achieved a very organic texture.. I was wondering.. is it the color correction? The bitrate did increase the quality?? Or is it just the great lighting and everything else??

Really happy if you share any tips!!

Good bye and thank you!!! Cheers from Argentina!

moemusic

First: Thanks for this beautifull piece of code:-)

2: I noticed a strange colorshift when using the magic zoom and move it around. At some positions its normal (like it always was in alpha 1) and in between it shows a bluish/blackandwhite-like picture in the box. Did anyone else notice this?

3: I was very happy to see, that autorestart is in alpha 2 because this is a feature i need for documentary situations and things like live-concerts etc. but i tried it and it always stops after one clip. Is this intended? Or when will this feature gets activated? :-)

Thank you for your time and efforts:
Maurice

feureau

Quote from: moemusic on January 03, 2013, 10:44:36 AM
2: I noticed a strange colorshift when using the magic zoom and move it around. At some positions its normal (like it always was in alpha 1) and in between it shows a bluish/blackandwhite-like picture in the box. Did anyone else notice this?

Hmm... I can't seem to reproduce this. What are your magic zoom settings? Did you modify the liveview white balance settings too? (not the WB Shift setting, the one in ML for liveview) Plus, it still flickers at 60fps

Quote from: moemusic on January 03, 2013, 10:44:36 AM
3: I was very happy to see, that autorestart is in alpha 2 because this is a feature i need for documentary situations and things like live-concerts etc. but i tried it and it always stops after one clip. Is this intended? Or when will this feature gets activated? :-)

Yep, it wouldn't autorestart on mine either.

g3gg0

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM
Known issues:
* You have to reload Magic Lantern every time you use it. (this is intentional)
* when using HDMI output, frame drops may happen (to be verified)
* make sure your battery/adaptor is chipped, else canon menu will abort "firmware update" (= loading ML)
* movie restart and video effects menus visible but not working

;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

DaveVegas

Thank you for the kind words, Tony! A little bit :P

Actually I shot this on a Arri Alexa. lol joke :D

Even though the bitrate helps you achieve better results in post the most important factor is the traditional on set cinematography. I just try to get as much as possible in camera (with lights) and everything in post just enhances that experience.

Also I used Marvel's Picture Style :)

Thanks again!
Best
Dave

Quote from: tonybeccar on January 03, 2013, 10:09:59 AM
I really liked the short Dave!! Inspired in Close Encounters I assume :P!! REALLY liked the camera movement when the character sees the light for the first time... And, of course, got a little scared in the end, haha..

I wanted to ask you something.. what lenses did you use?? Because I gotta say the texture of the movie was nothing like digital.. you achieved a very organic texture.. I was wondering.. is it the color correction? The bitrate did increase the quality?? Or is it just the great lighting and everything else??

Really happy if you share any tips!!

Good bye and thank you!!! Cheers from Argentina!

moemusic

* movie restart and video effects menus visible but not working
ah, sorry, i thought i'd read everything...

Is it possible for the next release?

Has anyone made experiences with full hdmi-out?

Thanks!

RAK1966

Yes...please...fullframe (1920x1080) clean HDMI-out....pleeeease.

Tim French

So I just downloaded and updated everything so I'm ready to put ML onto my 7D, but I'm unsure as to how you remove it completely from the camera. Could you please clarify?

kenb129

Quote from: Tim French on January 04, 2013, 09:43:39 PM
So I just downloaded and updated everything so I'm ready to put ML onto my 7D, but I'm unsure as to how you remove it completely from the camera. Could you please clarify?

Turn off the camera and is goes out of memory.  To completely get rid of it you will have to delete if from your CF card.

Tim French

Quote from: kenb129 on January 04, 2013, 09:45:18 PM
Turn off the camera and is goes out of memory.  To completely get rid of it you will have to delete if from your CF card.

Mind blown.  >Ojo<
                       o

itayuri

Hi all,
first of all, many thanks to all the developers, i just got my 7d and ML looks great so far.
just one issue I couldn't find any reference to in the manual or release notes:
i want to use silent pictures to play with time lapse videos until FPS override is ready, but I can't take Hi res pictures. is that option not enabled yet or am I'm missing something?

and again thanks for all the hard work

itay

g3gg0

hi, welcome.
it's not enabled yet as it showed some weird offsets.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

premini

Hi all,
This is my first post here and i'd like start saying TANKS to all the ML team for this beautiful hack,
I already have the alpha 1 and the thing that makes me curious about this new release is the possibilty of crack up the bitrate.
Has anyone here did a comparison test of diferent bit rates to see if there are noticeable improvements?
Sorry if this question has been asked yet, i surely missed. The only thing i saw was the wonderfully looking short film made by DaveVegas.

arrinkiiii

Until now the Alfa 2 rules. Its the best !!!

It's possible to get out uncompressed HDMI from the 7D with Magic Lantern? And more then the 60fps? If not why?

Thanks more one time for existing people that change the rout of man kind, THANK YOU.

g3gg0

Quote from: arrinkiiii on January 06, 2013, 12:46:51 AM
It's possible to get out uncompressed HDMI from the 7D with Magic Lantern? And more then the 60fps? If not why?
you are welcome.
no, no, performance problems

arrinkiiii

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 06, 2013, 02:22:49 AM
you are welcome.
no, no, performance problems

Damn....  even with Dual Digic!!!  So, about rising quality in the beautiful 7D just the bitrate modification? No clean HDMI, no more then 60fps greeeeee.... =))

Thank for the fast response and for the wonderful work that you and the rest of the team have done. Much appreciated, thank you. Just for curiosity and for the rest of the guys that have a 7D that are waiting, can you give us wend came the next alfa with FPS override?

g3gg0

fps patching is basically working, but crashing after some time for unknown reason.
so its useless for now.

as the most important stuff is in alpha 2 already, i am focusing on infrastructural things.