Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanderroeling

Hi guys,

I'm very new to ML And testing it right now on location But i can't Find the HDR feature. Camera mode is set on manual. It should be on the movie settings, called HDR right? Sorry if am mistaken.

DaveVegas

First of all, awesome job everyone! I've been looking forward to this for years.

Now I tested my 7D with a 60mb/s CF card and I pushed the bitrate up to 80mb/s before it started with weird artefacts... The fastest CF card I found was an UDMA 7 with 150mb/s but can anyone tell me how you got 350mb/s and with which card?

All the best
Dave

g3gg0

Quote from: DaveVegas on December 28, 2012, 12:24:06 PM
Now I tested my 7D with a 60mb/s CF card and I pushed the bitrate up to 80mb/s before it started with weird artefacts... The fastest CF card I found was an UDMA 7 with 150mb/s but can anyone tell me how you got 350mb/s and with which card?

warning, dont mix up mbit/s (mbps) and MiB/s (MB/s). there is a factor 8 between them.

set VBR and qscale to -16, raise ISO to max, enable video hacks, set flush rate to e.g. 2-4, film grass and move the camera around.
(rotating is best).

voila, you get the max possible bitrate.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

Quote from: sanderroeling on December 28, 2012, 11:15:46 AM
Hi guys,

I'm very new to ML And testing it right now on location But i can't Find the HDR feature. Camera mode is set on manual. It should be on the movie settings, called HDR right? Sorry if am mistaken.

you are looking for "advanced bracketing" in shoot tab. (exposure bracketing)
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

sanderroeling

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 28, 2012, 12:30:46 PM
you are looking for "advanced bracketing" in shoot tab. (exposure bracketing)

Ah tnx! Will try That now!

DaveVegas

When I do the Video Hacks on the Canon Sound gets disabled. IS that a bug? Thanks!

beej

Quote from: sanderroeling on December 28, 2012, 11:15:46 AMI'm very new to ML And testing it right now on location But i can't Find the HDR feature. Camera mode is set on manual. It should be on the movie settings, called HDR right?

If you are talking about HDR photos, then you want the advanced bracketing function.

If you are talking about the HDR movie feature, it's not in the 7D alpha yet, afaik.

javyelow

Thanks g3gg0!! this alpha is amacing!

One question:

video bitrate: what is the best configuration for the best quality? How do you recomend?,
you can tell me about diferents situations of the shot if you want.

THANKS!

DaveVegas

So now it won't record with your settings... :/

nanomad

Quote from: DaveVegas on December 28, 2012, 01:42:20 PM
When I do the Video Hacks on the Canon Sound gets disabled. IS that a bug? Thanks!
No that's how it works
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Pelican

Quote from: scrax on December 27, 2012, 10:30:56 PM
Have you tried also after using the beep function before?

by the way can you explain me a little where are defined
PROP_ARTIST_STRING
PROP_COPYRIGHT_STRING

I'm trying to add them in the 600D too: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4001.0
They are defined in property.h and I wrote the prop handler for them to propvalues.c/.h
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

scrax

Quote from: Pelican on December 28, 2012, 04:55:50 PM
They are defined in property.h and I wrote the prop handler for them to propvalues.c/.h
I can't find them in property.h diff...
will look at your sources.

EDIT: Found them :), thanks
Do you think they are the same for other camera? Is it safe to try? They are just readed, not?

EDITII: Ok now got it better they were already in property.h that's why they are not in your diff...

EDIT III: Working on 600D too, but I have a name too long :D
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Pelican

Quote from: scrax on December 28, 2012, 05:31:18 PM
I can't find them in property.h diff...
will look at your sources.

Do you think it's hard to find them for 600D? If not can you tell me how, please?
property.h from line 170:
#endif

#define PROP_EFIC_TEMP_MAYBE            0x010100ed
//#define PROP_BATTERY_RAW_LEVEL_MAYBE          0x80030014

#define PROP_ARTIST_STRING      0x0E070000
#define PROP_COPYRIGHT_STRING   0x0E070001

#define PROP_LANGUAGE           0x02040002
#define PROP_VIDEO_SYSTEM       0x02040003

It is in the main source it's not my find.

If it doesn't work on 600D then turn property spy on, go to edit artist name, save it and see which property is changing.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

scrax

Ok pel, thanks I found and added them on my fork and it works, only strange thing is that the first 3 char of artist name get cropped when showed, I can read the name correct only if I put 3 spaces in front of it. Will try to change it's position now.

EDIT: Can be that first 3 char are not read because of wrong prop address?
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

ryebrye

Is the bulb ramping for timelapse feature enabled in this alpha? (I think it was blocked waiting for some of the same property setting stuff that the HDR features needed, wasn't it?)

scrax

About the dial modes warning, I like the option to chose it but in general should be excluded in video mode IMHO, because it's already clear that it's not photo mode and now with warning on it's annoying having it when in movie mode.

beej

Quote from: ryebrye on December 28, 2012, 06:22:36 PM
Is the bulb ramping for timelapse feature enabled in this alpha? (I think it was blocked waiting for some of the same property setting stuff that the HDR features needed, wasn't it?)

Yep, all of that stuff is now in there, bracketing, intervalometer, focus ramping, bulb ramping etc. I haven't played with bulb ramping yet though.

media100

Thanks for the great work on ML for the 7D ! I really love it, but is there any way to start ML automatically when the camera boots ?Is this feature considered to be part of Alpha 3 ?

beej

Quote from: media100 on December 28, 2012, 09:16:35 PM
Thanks for the great work on ML for the 7D ! I really love it, but is there any way to start ML automatically when the camera boots ?Is this feature considered to be part of Alpha 3 ?

As mentioned many times in all the alpha docs and forum threads on the 7D port of ML:-

That will come when the 7D port is stable - for now, this is intended as a testing release only, not for production work, which is one of the reasons for this limitation - the other being that apparently the boot procedure needs to modify certain camera properties and the devs aren't comfortable doing this yet while there is a possibility of camera brickage...

aace

Thanks for another alpha release. Yesterday I kept getting an error message say that I needed to remove and reinstall the battery. Whenever I put fresh Canon batteries in my 7D it would read as empty. I removed the card and the error would still appear. After a few cycles of removing the battery and card I finally got the camera working normally. I'm a little hesitant to put the alpha back on my camera but I don't think that it'll brick my 7D. I kinda freaked out when it happened and formatted my card so I don't have the error dump file. Whenever I muster up the courage to reinstall the alpha and if I run into the issue again I'll upload the dump files. If I'm not mistaken it was an Error 30 message.

feureau

Quote from: aace on December 29, 2012, 05:57:26 AM
Thanks for another alpha release. Yesterday I kept getting an error message say that I needed to remove and reinstall the battery. Whenever I put fresh Canon batteries in my 7D it would read as empty. I removed the card and the error would still appear. After a few cycles of removing the battery and card I finally got the camera working normally. I'm a little hesitant to put the alpha back on my camera but I don't think that it'll brick my 7D. I kinda freaked out when it happened and formatted my card so I don't have the error dump file. Whenever I muster up the courage to reinstall the alpha and if I run into the issue again I'll upload the dump files. If I'm not mistaken it was an Error 30 message.

There's another user that reported similar behavior, what were you trying to do when this happen?

DaveVegas

Just did some tests and was able to crank up bitrate to 185 mb/s but the image looks horrible (with high iso). Normal shutter and low iso with open aperture looks way better even though it's only 60-80mb/s.

My settings were Flush 1, GOP 100, (Audio Disabled) and Q-Factor -16 with ISO 3200

Best
Dave

g3gg0

Quote from: DaveVegas on December 29, 2012, 12:42:50 PM
Just did some tests and was able to crank up bitrate to 185 mb/s but the image looks horrible (with high iso). Normal shutter and low iso with open aperture looks way better even though it's only 60-80mb/s.

My settings were Flush 1, GOP 100, (Audio Disabled) and Q-Factor -16 with ISO 3200

Best
Dave

high bitrate recordings of crappy scenes results in high quality crap, not more.
crank up the vbr setting to -16 and use normal settings.
the results is that you will not lose too much details details in noisy scenes.

it was reported that filming dark scenes with with higher iso better to filter in post when you use high bitrates.

DaveVegas

With "it looked horrible" I meant that it was really noisy (which is obvious with high ISO) and with low ISO the scenes looked fine.

Which settings do you reccomend? VBR -16 and video hacks off, audio on?

Awesome work!!!

Best
Dave

feureau

Quote from: DaveVegas on December 29, 2012, 01:08:55 PM
With "it looked horrible" I meant that it was really noisy (which is obvious with high ISO) and with low ISO the scenes looked fine.

Which settings do you reccomend? VBR -16 and video hacks off, audio on?

Awesome work!!!

Best
Dave

I find the best result in high iso is to use an All-I setting. That is  GOP at 1 and audio off. And CBR at 20x.

I'm still trying out long GOP settings at high ISO, it looks really promising, though adobe premiere hates it and I had to re-encode to DNxHD or ProRes to edit in premiere.

I wonder if there's a way to go Unlimited GOP....? :3