Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gippi

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 14, 2013, 04:24:53 PM
if that would be the generic 7D user opinion ...

Sorry if I generalized speaking in the plural, this is just my opinion.
But it would be nice to hear instead of what is your point of view concerning further developments for the 7 D.
Grazie di cuore

Stedda

For something most of you have never even donated for you sure have no problem requesting/begging/demanding features to be added within a couple of days of it enabled on more capable models without having a clue what kind of work it takes I fear one day you people that fall into this category will ruin the motivation/innovation of some of the most skilled coders here.

Keep up the excellent work g3gg0, at your own pace of course!
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

feureau

What stedda said.

Also, maybe it's best to lock this thread until the next release. All the bugs we could possibly find has been discussed to death, and looking from the bitbucket feed, it seems the 7D ML has moved far from what we have in alpha 2. The last few pages is only filled with people waiting for the next alpha or something, and I'm sure it annoys the devs as much as it annoys a lot of us to read. It adds nothing of value to the discussion/development of the alpha anyway.

Just know that we love you and greatly appreciate what the whole ML dev team has given us. Especially you, g3gg0. I wish I can fly over there, buy you a pint of the finest beer, and hug you.

TL;DR - stedda, close thread, love you.

edwmotion

Just wait and let Magic Lantern team work. It can be annoying when people ask only for their cameras.

dutchguy

I am quite sure this is not the case. Most people are just waiting without saying too much, a few people run out of patience and send mails like this. I for example am enjoying the first alpha still very much since it gives me the posibilty to record movies with my 7D. Without the zoom screen I would not be able to record a movie since I would not be able to focus correctly. Thanks for now for all and looking forward to newer developments any time in the future.

7Denver

I too wish to take a moment to commend all of the ML developers, especially g3gg0, for bringing this break through software to my 7D.  It has opened up possibilities that would only be available to me at significantly higher cost of equipment replacement.  I've shot some of my favorite photos since installing the software. 

Your work is appreciated and recognized for it's innovation!

edwmotion

7D isn't compatible with UDMA 7 cards, so maybe we'll never see full HD raw video working on 7D.   :-*

Digital Corpus

Quote from: edwmotion on May 16, 2013, 12:10:40 AM
7D isn't compatible with UDMA 7 cards, so maybe we'll never see full HD raw video working on 7D.   :-*
Um, no...
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2011/20110426_eos7d_firmware125.shtml

g3gg0, please continue to develope the 7D firmware. We know you have a life, some people are just impatient. Your work on the 7D has been tremendous and a lot of us want to see it continue.  The rest of us who are quiet probably understand that you're developing the RAW video and that once you get it nailed down, then you'll have more time.

I'd love to see more work on the 7D, and a full version of ML on it if you can make that happen. I hope others agree, since it's been said, but please take your time and develop something great for us. I'd donate again if the options was present.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

g3gg0

its not that easy.
the slave processor ML runs on, doesnt have access to the raw data stream as it seems :(
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

edwmotion

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 16, 2013, 01:50:42 AM
its not that easy.
the slave processor ML runs on, doesnt have access to the raw data stream as it seems :(

Ouch, that hurts. Well, thank you g3gg0 we really appreciate all of your hard work and effort.

edwmotion

Quote from: Digital Corpus on May 16, 2013, 12:19:34 AM
Um, no...
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2011/20110426_eos7d_firmware125.shtml

Firmware 2.x.x

Figure based on updated firmware, ISO 100, Standard Picture Style and with UDMA 7 CF memory cards. Note: UDMA 7 CF memory card read/write speeds are not fully supported with the EOS 7D Digital SLR camera, if using UDMA 7 memory cards, the read/write speeds will be equivalent to UDMA 6.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS7D_firmware_features

Digital Corpus

We were at a stage where the 7D could not boot ML. One day we may have access to the master ARM chip. Just need another apiphany.

EDIT: Ah, well, UDMA6 goes up to 133 MB/s. Granted the highest regular benchmarks on the 7D I've seen are at ~55MB/sec. It's been a while since I've run a ML benchmark on my cards, but I only have Sandisk's 60MB/s cards.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

StefanKeller.AC

a Sandisk's 60MB/s would be fine for 1280x720 (or slightly bigger) raw on 7D which would give better flexibility for WB and more dynamic than the 7D Video has.
and maybe more visible resolution in comparison when upscaled to 1080p

feureau

its not that easy.

Didn't you manage to get 422 YUV out of it? What about plugging that feed to the H.264 encoder and get a clean, sharp, moire-less video? Is that possible? (sorry if stupid question)

Raw video is great, but holyshit 128GB for 15 min.

Claymore Pictures

I need some help. I'm new to the ML world and learning how this all works.

I have a 7D with the FW 2.0.3
I downloaded the 7D Alpha 2 and pulled the contents onto a CF card and then went through the steps to load it on the camera.
However while it's in the process of loading it seems to stop and gives me the screen that says:

"Ensure a lens is attached. (which there is) Press start start/stop button to activate movie shooting."

The Alpha 2 doesn't seem to have loaded on the camera, or if it did I'm misunderstanding how to access it.

What am I doing wrong? Am I in a wrong setting and am unaware?

Thanks.
Peter-John

Digital Corpus

Quote from: Claymore Pictures on May 16, 2013, 07:37:16 PM

I downloaded the 7D Alpha 2 and pulled the contents onto a CF card and then went through the steps to load it on the camera.
However while it's in the process of loading it seems to stop and gives me the screen that says:

"Ensure a lens is attached. (which there is) Press start start/stop button to activate movie shooting."

The Alpha 2 doesn't seem to have loaded on the camera, or if it did I'm misunderstanding how to access it.

Thanks.
Peter-John
I've had no problems loading Alpha 1 or 2 on my 7D. What lens do you have attached? If it is a non-cpu lens, in other words it does not report aperture, focal length, or focus to the camera, then the camera may not know you have a lens attached to it. I cannot speack from experience because I have no such lens.

mdwhaley

Quote from: Claymore Pictures on May 16, 2013, 07:37:16 PM

Thanks.
Peter-John

Maybe try taking it out of movie mode for the update

Claymore Pictures

Quote from: mdwhaley on May 17, 2013, 03:29:41 AM
Maybe try taking it out of movie mode for the update

MD you rock that's all it was. I had it in movie mode. When I switched it over worked perfectly.
thanks
Claymore

Gippi

Quote from: Mare on January 17, 2013, 11:39:58 PM
First of all
g3gg0 and the ML Team THANK YOU for all the work on 7D.

I have two minor reports - questions:

1. in Movie settings, REC/STBY notif: beeps - video is recording, but no sound recording (is it possible to turn mike on)

Keep On Rockin'

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 18, 2013, 01:01:07 AM
1) i dont understand this. what beeps?

Quote from: Mare on January 18, 2013, 07:46:33 PM
Well, sound recording on other settings work fine, just when you choose beep notification for start or stop recording, you can hear the beep (that's OK), video is recording, but no sound recording.
It would be fine and much easier for sync audio with video in post, because now with ML  :D I can trigger (start and stop) video with remote controller, audio is anyway rec by other device.

:)

Quote from: Gippi on May 14, 2013, 07:49:52 AM
Hallo feureau,
I donĀ“t mean in video hack modus ;-) but in normal modus.
Any ideea?
Thank you!

(Audio Menu - Magic Lantern alpha 2)

REC/STBY notify

Custom notifications for recording or standby:

Red Crossout (highly recommended if you forget to press record)
    Message (it shows STBY or REC)
    Beeps (it will beep when recording starts or stops)   -------  I mean This Feature -------
    Blue LED (obvious if your camera has it)

Hello, I have not solved this little problem with the beep, (normal video modus No bitrate hack)
I would like to know if it is a bug or if I do something wrong.

Thank You!

djoulbdx

its not that easy.

Hi,

I hope that you will succeed in making it possible to record in RAW for the EOS 7D.

Thanks a lot for your work. I will follow the evolutions (if they are possible  :'( ).

Thx
Julian
EOS 7D ML | EOS 5 (not D) | 15-85 3.5 5.6 | 580 EX | 28-105 4.5 5.6 | 100-300 | etc...

feureau

In the latest push to bitbucket, there's a cleanup of a bunch of makefiles, and I notice there's one for 7D.203. Does anyone know if this will build a nightly that would run on the 7D 2.0.3 firmware??

djoulbdx

It is just the actual one. The Alpha 2. Not for the EOS 7D RAW Video
EOS 7D ML | EOS 5 (not D) | 15-85 3.5 5.6 | 580 EX | 28-105 4.5 5.6 | 100-300 | etc...

nativeridge

g3gg0/a1ex only just registered but want to start out by saying thanks to you and thank you to the people around you that support you and make it possible for so many others to reap the rewards of your fantastic work!

Posting in here as for budget think 7D will be next purchase, I look forward to using ML and if something unexpected leads to unlocking RAW capabilities on dual digic then we will all be even more fortunate for receiving something through no efforts of our own.

See through the comments minority of people may have a few expectations that could tax your creative genius :)

Thanks again to you and the Team, love your work............

p.s. donated to EFF ;) Oh 40D ML!! w00t ;D
GEAR: CANON 6D / BG-E13/ CANON 40D / 70-200 f4L IS / 17-40 f4L / Tokina 12-24 f4 / Sigma 105 f2.8 / 50mm f1.8 / 85mm f1.8 / METZ 58 AF-1 / EXT 1.4II / Manfrotto 055XPROB - 808RC4  [_O_]

edwmotion

This thread feels like a ghost town.... hope never dies.

;D

sanderbontje

It is not.

Sorry, I have been away for a couple of days and I see a lot has already been said in this regard. But I need to say this and after that I'll be quiet again until I have something useful to contribute. I do not wish to be part of a group that makes complaints on behalf of 'all 7D users' because clearly they are not speaking for me. And I see not for a lot of other users too. There are unfortunately some loud individuals making a lot of fuzz, spoiling it for the developers and the patient, silent user group.

I am very happy with the 7D alpha 2, especially when looking back where we came from. The magic zoom is a godsend when working with fast primes. It is stable enough. Having to manually load it after every reboot is just a minor inconvenience.

Of course, I am as enthusiastic and anxious as anyone else to see new developments like RAW video of the newer Canons ported to the 7D too. But I am aware that the chance for this to happen is actually very small. I am glad that nowadays we at least have a functional alpha version for the 7D. A few years ago, the future did not look so promising. Look were ML is now. In the end there is just only one word fitting enough: THANKS!

And back to my lurking mode again...