Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rock soderstrom

Oh wow,  this April starts with a revolution for us lefties!  8)

Gippi

Hi, I can not find the function Arrow/SET shortcuts...is this function with Magic Lantern alpha 2 possible ?

Thank you!

feureau

But seriously though, the world is in desperate need for a left-handed camera...

beej

Still enjoying Alpha2 here, and doing fun things with it. It's becoming too useful to ever not have it loaded... ;)

Thanks g3ggo and team ML...

tonybeccar

Yesterday I used Magic Lantern for a full shoot! I can't believe how useful it is!! It's unbelievable how much it helps you shoot... really, thank you g3gg0 and all the developers for your hard work!!!

I'd like to report a bug that I don't think it got mentioned here! I was using the cinemascope cropmark for my shoot, I made a custom one myself, but I didn't compress it with the script.. I noticed it was a bit slower when loading.. Anyway.. the bug is that after some time I lost the cropmark.. it went back to the 16:9 black one.. and I had to load another cropmark and then my custom one again.. I don't know if this happens with the pre-established cropmarks.. but withmine it did.. Also, when in preview mode, the cropmark didn't stretch until the borders. I must add that I was using a monitor! A lilliput 569 to me more precise.

And 2 more things.. just to see if it is possible. I have a 7D, and the monitor does not blink when hitting the record button. But it blinks when you press the menu or the preview button, the monitor goes black, it says "no imput signal" and then it connects again. There is not any change in resolution, it is the same, 1080i it says. Is there any way that magic lantern could improve this problem that the monitor has? Is the transition when you get out of liveview when the monitor loses the signal, just asking!

And the last one.. is there any chance to have Magic Zoom in the monitor while having a 1080i signal?? It's ironic because the monitor resolution is 800x480 pixels.. but it says "1080i", I think it's downscaling or something, I don't know exactly.. There is an option in ML to "force VGA in monitor" but it loses quality and it gets stretched out, a mess really. It'll be sweet to mave magic zoom, or even a fake magic zoom.

I want to thank again for this wonderful software!!! I got really wonderful footage thanks to you guys!!

Cheers from Argentina!!!

ggwildlife

Your doing a great job guys, I love ML when I first started using it on my 600D - is there anyway that ML can duplicate the x3 and x10 digital zoom on the 7D that the 600D has I have to keep swapping cameras when doing my wildlife. thanks.

Eugene

Dear ALL

First of all, I thank to the people from ML for this very interesting software (non yet tested, because of the issue below).

I already installed the ML for my Canon 7D. Indeed it works. But...I turned the camera OFF. As soon as I turned the camera ON and pressed the DELETE button to again open ML menu, nothing happens. Now, in the topic ""Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2"" is mentioned that "" You have to reload Magic Lantern every time you use it. (This is intentional)"".

Therefore, my questions are:

1) If the camera will be turned OFF, the ML should be installed again (from the CF-Card) when the camera will be again ON?
2) If so, this means that the software is installed ONLY on the CF-Card? The camera software (2.0.3) will be not affected?
3) If so (again), it is possible to use the CF-Card (photos, movies) with the same card?
4) If the card will be exchanged, must ML installed again on the next one?

Thank you ALL for an answer.

Best Regards, Eugene

Akorn240

1) If the camera will be turned OFF, the ML should be installed again (from the CF-Card) when the camera will be again ON?
2) If so, this means that the software is installed ONLY on the CF-Card? The camera software (2.0.3) will be not affected?
3) If so (again), it is possible to use the CF-Card (photos, movies) with the same card?
4) If the card will be exchanged, must ML installed again on the next one?

1. Yes, each time the camera is started you need to go into the menu to load ML.
2. ML is only "staying" on the CF Card and is loaded to the camera when you load it. It DOES NOT overwrite or erase the camera operating system.
3. You need to load the ML system into the top level of the CF Card. Photos are stored in a sub-directory. You can use the same card.
4. If you want to use ML, it needs to be on each card you use in the camera. Related, if you re-format a card, the ML system will be deleted from the card and you will need to re-load the ML system on the re-formatted card.

Regards...
Canon 7D

g3gg0

you do not "install ML", you just run it from a FIR.
in alpha versions you never install ML.

@all:
about the alpha 3: we are currently finding out a lot of interesting stuff.
as long we are still in this process, it makes no sense to release an alpha.
we are currently enjoying finding out how to use it for cool features.

then let us make those cool new features user-safe, and you will see a new 7D/5D3 alpha that will amaze you.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

gipukan

Gee thanks ML for the alpha2, Been looking for this a long time now after running alpha1 w/o a hitch!

Installed it today and so far so good but one small think i think.

When using intervalometer in conjunction with timelapseramping set at sunset a square is displayed on my screen that flickrs a few times during calibrating and end with the message intervalometer had stopped after telling me it can not calibrate.

alband

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 08, 2013, 09:53:37 AM

@all:
about the alpha 3: we are currently finding out a lot of interesting stuff.
as long we are still in this process, it makes no sense to release an alpha.
we are currently enjoying finding out how to use it for cool features.

then let us make those cool new features user-safe, and you will see a new 7D/5D3 alpha that will amaze you.

Liking the sound of this!  :) Any clues or is it  :-X until it's released?

g3gg0

well, its public. TCC, module system and RscMgr memory access.
the module system is more like linux kernel modules, which means full access to ML and canon functions.
this way additional functionality can be added very easy.
our ideas for modules:
- full C compiler using TCC
- put Movie hacks there (nitrate, GOP, ...)

TCC adds a C compiler to use full-C scripts that are treaten like modules (have full access etc)

RscMgr memories allow us to use a lot more memory.
on 7D and 60D we can use 7-8 Megabytes for ML without having to steal it from anywhere.
plus we know how to allocate up to 250 Megabytes on these models for saving data like we have to do when formatting the card.

all these things make ML more extensible and usable.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

jphansen

I didn't understand a word of what you just wrote.. but I'm looking forward to the next alpha anyway ;-)

kanak

Hi,

I don't use ML very much but I use it for video and I think it is a great piece of software.
I wanted to report a problem that has been reported before : battery drain. Yesterday I shoot a little video. I started with a battery  75% full. Suddenly I noticed that my camera had stopped because the battery was empty. I had not done anything special. I had used ML for the magic zoom. Here is a part of my configuration :
Global Draw On, all modes; Zebras Lumafast over 99%; Focus Peak On, 0.5, R; Magic zoom F+HS Med TL 3:1; Cropmarks 16x9; Gost Image Off; Spotmeter Percent AFbox; False color Off; Histogram RGB, Log, clip, warn; Waveform small; vectorscope Off;

I had recorded maximum 2mn of film and it stopped as I was not recording. The battery is not a Canon but I've never have any problem with it.

Thanks for all the efforts. Looking foreward to the next version.

g3gg0

can you retry the same procedure with and without ML and measure the time until your battery is empty?

Thierry

Thank you very much for your time, your excellent job and your free ML!!! It is my fist time trying to install it (with alpha 1 and alpha 2) on my Canon 7D.
It works but when I am done with my shootings and that I turn off my camera, the next time I want to use my camera and turn it on, the ML program is not there anymore when I press on the delete button. I do not want to I reinstall Canon FirmWare 203 everytime because I am loosing all my 7D settings.
What can I do? Thanks to help me :)

g3gg0

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 08, 2013, 09:53:37 AM

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Thierry on April 08, 2013, 02:31:08 PMWhat can I do?

You have to reload ML alpha 2 each time after your camera shuts down. Manually!
This is alpha and intended.

Ciao, Walter

Thierry

I understand, thank you g3gg0 and Walter! I can't wait to try your installing version! Congratulations for your great research and work! :D

kanak

A1ex : I have used the video a bit since I bought my 7D (2 or 3 hours of rushes) and never had such a behaviour, with or without ML.
Now the problem obviously does not occur very often. Is it even a ML problem ?

G33g0 : I'll give it a try again as soon a I have time. There was a lot of over exposure. Could it be linked ?

g3gg0

Quote from: kanak on April 08, 2013, 02:49:46 PM
G33g0 : I'll give it a try again as soon a I have time. There was a lot of over exposure. Could it be linked ?

i dont think, but you are welcome to prove me wrong ;)

markymark

Just a quick question last night I was out shooting with my 7D and a couple of others that were with me had the 5D mkII and they showed me on the 5D mkII using the magic lantern software how to set the camera to check the color balance using Kalvin. They pressed the AWB on the top of the camera while the live view was on then pressed the set button and the software did it's magic and set the correct kalvin automatically, but when I tried the same with the 7D it did not work, is there another way to set this on the 7D or is this not yet in the Alpha 2 version.

kanak

I tried to reproduce the problem but the battery behaved normaly.
Of course what happened to me on Sunday could be due to the battery being less charged than I though.

cycorythm

Just wanted to drop you all a line and thank you for the hard work in getting ML to full feature on the 7D....makes a world of difference from the Canon software!  I've shot a bunch of stuff with both Alpha 1 & 2 and have had no major issues AT ALL, little hiccups, but nothing that hasn't been brought to light yet.

As soon as I can get some work shooting and pickup a paycheck or two, I will be throwing into the coffers to help the good fight.  Until then, I figured I could share the latest thing I've shot.  It's a teaser for a short that is currently in post-production...check it out and let me know what you think; I'd appreciate it. http://youtu.be/FcW6fmYBS-M  I'm also shooting a feature, that I will share as soon as there's something to share.

Thanks again!!