Magic Lantern for 7D alpha 2

Started by g3gg0, December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemabaris

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 12, 2013, 01:54:39 AM
window 7 64 bit i7 930cpu.

with 12gig ram

slow by today's standards.

weird, i have an i7 2600k and 20 gigs and it handles it a lot faster. maybe due to the gtx 680s cuda cores

ted ramasola

Quote from: jemabaris on August 12, 2013, 01:57:31 AM

weird, i have an i7 2600k and 20 gigs and it handles it a lot faster. maybe due to the gtx 680s cuda cores

oh, resolve is cuda dependent, AE also uses Cuda.  I only have a gtx460. :) thats why my exports from resolve and AE are slow.

I don't want to upgrade a component for now since I plan to get a new system from scratch since I plan to use my other PCs as part of a render network for my 3D work.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

rlk

Quote from: obiyan19 on August 10, 2013, 09:55:11 PM
yes, the tutorial is here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7464.0

The instructions appear to be for Windows -- is there a procedure for those of us who use Linux?

ygor

Quote from: ygor on August 09, 2013, 11:05:59 PM
I have the same problem here. It happened twice since I started using ML this week. I have a really big concern about this issue, no battery = no camera :D

I'll try the "wait to remove card" thing, to check if it happens again.

I've got this problem again, even waiting to remove card (after red light blinks, after sensor cleaning). Battery was full, but at the morning, battery was empty.

Is there any I can help to investigate this issue?
[size=8pt]Canon 7D | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 18-200 OS 3.5-5.6 | Canon 580ex II
Landscapes[/size]

Magic 7D

Quote from: ygor on August 12, 2013, 04:26:26 AM
Is there any I can help to investigate this issue?

I can't really help, but it has happened to me too. But for me I don't know if it's related to the card door (I was told it's not related...) anyhow, if I turn my camera off on the main switch and then leave the camera for the night, then the batteries are drained in the morning. But if I leave the camera to turn off by itself (power save mode usually keep mine on 1 min) then it's fine.
But I noticed yesterday if I have a lens with IS and the IS is turned on and I leave the camera in movie mode, then it keeps the IS motor going constantly...

My conclusion...
Leave the camera in photo mode
Set power save to something that will be convenient for you (1, 2, 5min etc)
Leave the main power switch on at all times
A MAGIC 7D and 5D III + Lenses in the range of 15 - 400mm. Man it's shining.. it's a Lantern oh it's Magic, Aha it's Magic Lantern! ;)

Pileot

Ok, perhaps this is a little sidetracked but I'm having issues accessing the complete user guide from the camera. Trash bin, Help tab, Complete user guide, then its just an empty box (used to show everything you could want to know about ML)

Is this just me or other people too?
v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug04.7D203

The reason I was wanting to check is because I'm wondering about the silent picture mode. I know it takes info from the live view and from the search its supposed to make .422 files. When I tried it it made .dng files that I have no idea how to open or process.

I am also curious about the Silent Picture modes, Simple, Burst, End Trigger, Best Shots, and Slit Scan. Search did not yeild very many results on these, wiki seems slim in these areas, I just want to know what the differences are so I know when to use em.

Thanks!

**EDIT**
Downloaded the latest EOScard, deleted ML off my card, ran EOScard and now i have ML version Aug01? Isnt the latest version Aug06? Im a little confused... Also seems the Aug01 is missing the silent picture function (or at least its hiding really good)

Pileot

Quote from: Magic 7D on August 12, 2013, 09:18:49 AM
My conclusion...
Leave the camera in photo mode
Set power save to something that will be convenient for you (1, 2, 5min etc)
Leave the main power switch on at all times

Impractical if your going to leave your camera in a bag where buttons might get pushed, draining the battery.

When you turn your camera off for the night, try turning the switch to OFF then removing the battery and plugging the battery back in again. Perhaps that will solve the drain issue? (A pain but less of a pain than a dead battery)

Pelican

Quote from: Pileot on August 12, 2013, 10:17:25 AM
Impractical if your going to leave your camera in a bag where buttons might get pushed, draining the battery.
I can't confirm that. I never turn off my camera since my 20D and never got empty battery.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Pileot

Well it depends how tight your bag is, I have a backpack style bag with big heavy lenses in it (like the 100-400) so its possible for enough pressure to be put on buttons to register a press and wake the camera. Everyone's setup is different, just depends how your bag is set up.

Does the problem still happen if you let the camera sleep, THEN turn it off? Can you confirm if turning the camera off then removing and replacing the battery will prevent any battery drain or is it useless to try?

Pelican

Quote from: Pileot on August 12, 2013, 11:06:29 AM
Well it depends how tight your bag is, I have a backpack style bag with big heavy lenses in it (like the 100-400) so its possible for enough pressure to be put on buttons to register a press and wake the camera. Everyone's setup is different, just depends how your bag is set up.
Maybe the 300/2.8 is not heavy enough in my backpack... :-)
Have you ever heard that an accidentally pressed camera button drained the battery of somebody's camera?
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3

Magic 7D

Quote from: Pelican on August 12, 2013, 10:59:12 AM
I never turn off my camera since my 20D and never got empty battery.
I can confirm that, never turn my 7D off lugging it around in my Lowepro classified 160 AW or my Kata 3N1-20 never had empty battery part from the time I thought I should be good and turn the camera off to save battery.. Ironic isn't it  ;)

Everyone's setup is different, just depends how your bag is set up.

Does the problem still happen if you let the camera sleep, THEN turn it off? Can you confirm if turning the camera off then removing and replacing the battery will prevent any battery drain or is it useless to try?
I'd agree on that, but as I said I've never had issues. (I've got 7D with 17-55 2,8 attached, 70-200 2,8, 50 1,4, 85 1,8, 2x extender, speedlight 580 and 420, 4 extra batteries, speedlight collapsible octabox, 2 chargers, a bunch of cables card reader and a few other extras don't know if this is heavy enough.. :) )

I'll try your take on letting it go to sleep and then turn off tonight, you might want to try with battery remove/insert then we'll know tomorrow if either of them work :)

Quote from: Pileot on August 12, 2013, 10:14:58 AM
The reason I was wanting to check is because I'm wondering about the silent picture mode. I know it takes info from the live view and from the search its supposed to make .422 files. When I tried it it made .dng files that I have no idea how to open or process.
I loaded my .dngs into lightroom got a warning that lightroom didn't recognize them, but I could process them fine. Haven't tried any other program.
A MAGIC 7D and 5D III + Lenses in the range of 15 - 400mm. Man it's shining.. it's a Lantern oh it's Magic, Aha it's Magic Lantern! ;)

ArturoKiwi

Quote from: Pelican on August 11, 2013, 10:52:43 PM
Somebody reported an error so I reverted back to 1.38.
Until I find what was wrong you have to create the scripts folder manually.

No problem at all for the directory. I ask you because with 1.38 I must flash twice; when I open the program it doesn't show me the bottom part, but it appears (and remain :) ) while writing on the card.

Pelican

Quote from: ArturoKiwi on August 12, 2013, 11:49:14 AM
No problem at all for the directory. I ask you because with 1.38 I must flash twice; when I open the program it doesn't show me the bottom part, but it appears (and remain :) ) while writing on the card.
RTM! Or follow the tutorial.
"Hint: If you want to install different ML version (not the latest stable unified) right click on the ML button to open the Magic Lantern window. "

arrinkiiii

My workflow for silent pictures,

-Put each different scene (dng's) in different folder. After this open after effects, import or just drag the folders to after effects. For each folder he will open ACR, you make the adjustments that you need and click ok.

After this you just need make your video sequence.  For open again the ACR, if you need to give more a few adjustments, you click on the dng file that you want, go to interpret footage, sub-menu and then hit options tab and he will open again the ACR.  (exist a different way to do this but i dont remember)

I must tell that the dng's are heavy... my computer have problem to handle. Better to pass then to ProRes or DNxHD and then make the edition.

- It's strange that some ML fanatics have this battery problem and others don't  :-\  I never had this, but i always take my battery out.

-For don't have the warning in the begging of turning on the camera "...dir scripts missing..." Just go to ML folder in your CF Card and create a new folder with the name SCRIPTS and the warning message will disappear. 

oli4h

Hello,

My report after 4 days holidays with it:
-it takes much longer to wake up from standby
- I have had the battery problem once
- also had issues with AF pumping (not LV), which could only be resolved by removing the battery

hypermobile

If someone want to add WiFi (file transfer only). Combined with ML.

I just tested the Toshiba Flashair 16GB class 10 (W-02) on a 7D.
In this case i also need a '3rd generation' CF adapter'
Both available on Ebay.

The big advantage of Toshiba is....> you Don't need a Dedicated app...works on a SmartPhone, Laptop (and Mac i think).

Also thinking....
it must me technically possible to remote control some features with a SmartPhone app. With this WiFi Card.

For example By checking the Write-protectingness of dedicated pictures....to use features.
(To enable the Wifi...i Use FileProtection on the DSLR...if enabled the Wifi is On...Disabled the Wifi is off)

Pileot

Try removing the metal plates from the front and back of the CF adapter, you might get faster speeds / stronger connection.

What was your transfer rate? Can you take a video of you using it so we can see how slow it is? most reviews of the EyeFi cards say its OK for one or two shots at a time but if your doing lots of pictures it takes forever.

Been eyeing the WFT grips from canon but $500+ is too steep for me. Been considering making a wifi grip using USB wifi parts (lots of guides on google)

hypermobile

@pileot, If i shoot at regular burst (8fps 7D) and you fill up the camera's buffer...it takes 50 seconds to write it to the Toshiba card....so that's not fast.

Sending pictures by wifi.....it takes 30 seconds for 1,5Mb. (i prefer shooting Raw Large + JPG Small)
So it's only usefull when you're on location...and you want to share just 1 or 2 Pictures with someone.

But Maybe ...with a Module in ML...it's maybe possible to use it in a different way

sent me a Link for a DIY Wifi USB for EOS 7D

such a thing should be made for the EOShttp://cameraconnect.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/nikon_wu-1a_wifi_adapter.jpg

themichael

http://www.homebrewusb.com/DIY/DIY%20%20Portable%20Wireless%20USB.html

The problem is Cables Unlimited is dead. But the basic idea is still the same.
7D, AE-1P, 4x5 and GAS

Pileot

Well I picked up a WFT-E1A for REALLY cheap today, gotta track down some batteries and see if I can get er working on the 7D, but I digress.

As to my previous question about silent pictures... im finding that the current EOS utility is pulling an older version of ML that does not have silent picture enabled. Is this by design or am I doing something wrong?

feureau

Quote from: Pileot on August 13, 2013, 02:25:36 AM
Well I picked up a WFT-E1A for REALLY cheap today, gotta track down some batteries and see if I can get er working on the 7D, but I digress.

How much btw?

Quote from: Pileot on August 13, 2013, 02:25:36 AM
As to my previous question about silent pictures... im finding that the current EOS utility is pulling an older version of ML that does not have silent picture enabled. Is this by design or am I doing something wrong?

You are doing it wrong. Don't use EOS Utility. Get EOSCard from pelican's home. http://pel.hu/down

Magic 7D

Does the problem still happen if you let the camera sleep, THEN turn it off?

Tried your suggestion last nite, and it seems to work fine like that. So last nite I left the camera to go to sleep, then I turned the main power switch off and this morning battery is still full.
Did you try the battery remove/insert Pileot?

andabata

Quote from: rlk on August 12, 2013, 03:35:21 AM
The instructions appear to be for Windows -- is there a procedure for those of us who use Linux?
A quick summary how to do it on linux.
install the bsdiff package (should come with your distribution)
get the http://pel.hu/down/eos7d110.exe, use unzip to extract it (it's a selfextracting zipfile, unzip knows how to handle them)
get the patch http://pel.hu/ML/booton.bsdiff
create the new 7dbooton.fir with
'bspatch 7d000110.fir 7dbooton.fir booton.bsdiff'
Put the the 7dbooton.fir on a CF. Put the CF in the camera and update the firmware.
You now have a bootable 7D (or if it false an expensive brick)

To make a bootable CF use https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/raw/74fa78df490372263aef62800e98d9c33e885aa6/make_bootable.sh, edit the dev=/dev/disk1s1 line. Point it to the CF partition (something like /dev/sdb1)
Run the script and you have a bootable CF, (i noticed that i had to format the CF first to make recognize the filesystem)

Mount the CF on your system, download http://pel.hu/ML/magiclantern-7D.203.Alpha2.zip , and unzip it on the CF.
This should be enough to get it working on linux. (all is done on the console)

ArturoKiwi

Quote from: Pelican on August 12, 2013, 12:22:20 PM
RTM! Or follow the tutorial.
"Hint: If you want to install different ML version (not the latest stable unified) right click on the ML button to open the Magic Lantern window. "

Doh!  :-[

Thanks  :)

hypermobile

Quote from: themichael on August 13, 2013, 02:20:43 AM
http://www.homebrewusb.com/DIY/DIY%20%20Portable%20Wireless%20USB.html

The problem is Cables Unlimited is dead. But the basic idea is still the same.

i like this one more http://www.davidhunt.ie/?p=2641
since the other is wUsb...so not direct compatible with you smartphone.