Main menu design proposal

Started by stevefal, December 22, 2012, 06:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevefal

Quote from: scrax on January 08, 2013, 12:19:15 AM
Since overlay are drawn on screen I think it would help not  confusing the histogram with mountains.

To be clear, and to separate the question of border from the histogram design; are you saying that you yourself confused the histogram with mountains?
Steve Falcon

scrax

Quote from: stevefal on January 08, 2013, 12:42:26 AM

To be clear, and to separate the question of border from the histogram design; are you saying that you yourself confused the histogram with mountains?
mountains were the first thing I though before histogram, maybe because they go up too narrow, or maybe just because I'm living in a mountain region.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

stevefal

Thanks. Unless I agree myself, I generally wait for a trend before acting on feedback. Otherwise it's easy to get randomized.

The problem with histograms is that they look like mountains. I purposefully made skinny peaks because that's something that mountains don't usually do.

With respect to a border, I think that if a symbol looks like mountains, with a border it will look like a picture of mountains. That said, I have several bordered versions in my private iterations so I'll look again.

G3gg0 suggested crushing blacks or whites, but unless they are heavily crushed, it could just look like cropped mountains. And I didn't think that showing heavy crushing was the right condition to model in this context. The icon should model desirable exposure, I think.

I will focus on the histogram itself and try to make it look less mountain-like. Inspiration: https://www.google.com/search?&site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=photoshop+histogram:

Thanks for the feedback!

Steve Falcon

Jolly Roger

About the overlay icon, just my two cents:

I think zebras identifies very well the idea of overlay options, so why not a diagonal pattern like this?

scrax

This is a sort of idea I was having, show the main thing we have in Overlay (used previous screenshot, not in the correct place):

or this a rough attempt at how I was thinking the "pictured mountains"  ;)

by the way debug is good like now, I like the idea
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

stevefal

Here is a new histogram, taken from an actual histogram. I can see that a deep valley and some bias towards black or white addresses the mountain effect.

The symbol with several small glyphs are too small to be discerned, especially at actual display size. I originally had some like that (even bigger) but the detail is too fine for this scheme.

I like the zebra stripe concept too, but a distinctive silhouette is ultimately more easily identified than a pattern alone. If this overcomes the mountain effect (and I think it does), then this should be a popular solution, since the histogram has been favorable overall.
Steve Falcon

basovandrey

Hi, stevefal.
tinypng.org   service can reduce your icons by 30%

nanomad

Well, it's kinda pointless since we don't use PNG in ML anyway ;)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

stevefal

Any takers for implementing the new custom ML icons?

Steve Falcon

scrax

Quote from: stevefal on January 22, 2013, 02:30:07 AM
Any takers for implementing the new custom ML icons? This set is posted at http://popspring.com/mldrop/icons7.zip.
I suppose Alex is working on the script to convert them from bmp to MLcode

a1ex

Seems to work. You can edit the png files, then run make-icons.py, then recompile.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/2bc81082585d

The new icons take 2.1K of RAM. Not that bad IMO.

stevefal

Am I correct that none of these changes (or other recent changes) would propagate to the the 5DIII build automatically? I assume that the alpha III build is a one-off.

It's just that I'd like to see the menu icons in action before deciding I'm satisfied with them. I don't have another compatible camera.
Steve Falcon

a1ex

If you compile the code yourself, you can try them right now.

Here's a screenshot:

scrax

Quote from: a1ex on January 23, 2013, 04:09:46 PM
Seems to work. You can edit the png files, then run make-icons.py, then recompile.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/2bc81082585d

The new icons take 2.1K of RAM. Not that bad IMO.
I'll take a look since with Greg we are using icons for dialog options, it could be a good way to learn how to implement them in a proper way since I'm not sure if right now is good even if it works good.
I think that there should be a way to have a file with all the used icons in ML (probably ico.c) and from our code call them when we need, like it's for consts.

And what about 5DC now it can use the same icons as other builds,no?

EDIT: After a first look is not what I was expecting, need to check more how it's working. I remember that on the mailing list there was a discussion about using canon font and icons, is there a file like consts with the GUI icons, since those will be perfect for showing the dialog options we add. So far we wrote them from scratch but they are not pixel perfect, having the same that we have in photo info screen would be better.found it.

a1ex

stevefal

I wasn't aware of the Scripts page. I'll make a new icon for it.

Steve Falcon

stevefal

I added a new Scripts icon, and improved the rather ratty Info icon.

Steve Falcon

scrax

The new info icon is really better than before.
Can I ask if you have the time to think about a Custo-Modes icon for a feat. under development?
This is a screenshot of what I did so far (without bitmap only a circle cut with a square):

The icon is actually showing the III c-mode, they are 5 total.
C-1
C-2
C-3
C-4
C-5
for now I'm showing them with some bars
|   | |   | | |   |  |   |  |
|   | |   | | |            |
|   | |   | | |   |  |   |  |

more info about the feat here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4002.msg24532;topicseen#msg24532

basovandrey

Hello. My two small suggestions. :)

stevefal

Interesting thinking. Keep in mind that the camera display is much smaller than these images on a computer.
Steve Falcon