Main menu design proposal

Started by stevefal, December 22, 2012, 06:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf

Nice icons.
But why using a different movie icon, the old one is like the Canon icon on the wheel and it is very clear that this means movie mode? Also the the old audio icon seems to me more comprehensible when seeing it the first time.

scrax

Quote from: 3pointedit on January 05, 2013, 01:55:19 PM
Canon groups menu tabs by color, is it sensible to classify linked tabs by color group? That is make the icon/name/frame line same color?

If that gonna be added i'll suggest to colorize the tab line/border only, so to keep it simple
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

stevefal

I will create a vidcam icon for movie mode. Thanks for the feedback.
Steve Falcon

scrax

Quote from: wolf on January 05, 2013, 05:34:22 PM
Nice icons.
But why using a different movie icon, the old one is like the Canon icon on the wheel and it is very clear that this means movie mode? Also the the old audio icon seems to me more comprehensible when seeing it the first time.
Agree, movie icon is nice, but changing it will not match the one printed on mode dial and so would be less immediate (canon users already knows the actual one)

Quote from: a1ex on January 04, 2013, 08:56:05 PM
Trammell has some code to convert ML fonts to Canon font format (the one used by current icons), so it shouldn't be too hard. Need to decipher those scripts.

I think would be nice to have a file with all the icons used so to call then from various part of ML, for example K icon is written twice in my fork actually, since it should appear in WB dialog and in info screen.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

stevefal

I've revised the movie icon to match the original concept:

Steve Falcon

Francis

I don't think that this set is any more clear than the current icons. Too cartoonish.

nanomad

Actually,  after some thoughts there are a couple of icons I don't like in this new set
- microphone /audio settings is not recognizable
- the debug menu icon looks like the settings icon (gear).  I prefer the crossed bug icon someone suggested before:
Quote from: scrax on January 05, 2013, 01:07:06 AM
to me gear looks more used for prefs,
debug can have a bug with "slash bar" on it?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

stevefal

I've revised Audio (coarser grill) and Shoot (smaller lens).

Steve Falcon

scrax

tabbed menu is great, and also I like more the new Shoot icon. Overlay is not really immediate to me,  maybe too much used to what is now...

stevefal

I've posted this alternate for feedback. This one has a more retro mic for Audio, and a wrench for Debug. I can't bring myself to use a literal insect - some metaphors go too far!

I personally prefer the modern mic, especially with the coarser grill, but there have been a couple comments against the previous version, so something else to consider.

I also improved the geometry of the overlay icon. I have not posted a new isolated set, and I won't until things settle.

Steve Falcon

meeok

a1ex

QuoteI have not posted a new isolated set

The screenshot is enough for me to extract the icons, no need for the extra work to update the zip.

The "retro" mic is much more obvious, the modern one looks more like a cup of ice cream to me :)
Expo icon looks perfect.
Overlay icon isn't very obvious, maybe a histogram?
Camera icons: OK.
Focus icon: I like it.
Display icon: causes confusion with the old icon.
Checkmark: not sure what menu is it.
Wrench: that's for Prefs, right?
Question mark: OK, although I like the "i" symbol better.

I'll try to come up with a script that extracts the icons from the sample screenshot and encodes them for including in ML.

scrax

Quote from: a1ex on January 06, 2013, 12:58:38 PM
The screenshot is enough for me to extract the icons, no need for the extra work to update the zip.

The "retro" mic is much more obvious, the modern one looks more like a cup of ice cream to me :)
Expo icon looks perfect.
Overlay icon isn't very obvious, maybe a histogram?
Camera icons: OK.
Focus icon: I like it.
Display icon: causes confusion with the old icon.
Checkmark: not sure what menu is it.
Wrench: that's for Prefs, right?
Question mark: OK, although I like the "i" symbol better.

I'll try to come up with a script that extracts the icons from the sample screenshot and encodes them for including in ML.

Checkmark was debug, I suppose wrench is intended to be used for debug, and gear for pref.
The script will be great.

stevefal

With the isolated set of icons, I can be sure that the icon is positioned horizontally where I intend it within the 46x42 frame. Also, the files are named, which should eliminate confusion about usage. It's no trouble at all, so I'll continue making them unless you absolutely know you won't use them or look at them.

- Retro mic settled
- Expo settled
- I'll upload a histogram next
- Movie settled
- Shoot settled
- Focus settled
- There is implicit overlap/confusion between Overlay and Display. Even if this new Display icon resembles the old Overlay icon, I think this is the right approach - it is literally the camera's display. Users adapt quickly, especially if symbols are intuitively well-reasoned.
- Checkmark is preferences. I will upload a gear for feedback.
- Wrench was Debug. Will you consider calling this "Utilities"? Debug is not a user term, and this menu contains functions beyond debugging.
- I actually prefer an enclosed "i" symbol as well, but can't get past that it literally means "info" or "information". Consider calling this menu "Info"? Then the hardware button, title and icon would be consistent.
- Star = My Menu settled

Steve Falcon

stevefal

I've put time into refining and balancing this set. Every icon is revised to sit better within the group. Note that each symbol is placed pixel-precisely within its 46x42 (WxH) bitmap. Also note that some symbols are not perfectly centered within the bitmap. This is either by design or necessary due to math.

Icon                     Menu             Status           Note
micAudiosettled
+/-Exposettled
histogramOverlayfeedback
movie cameraMoviesettled
camera frontShootsettled
focus indicatorsFocussettled
camera backDisplayfeedbacka1ex had reservation but I am promoting this
check markPrefsfeedback
wrenchDebugfeedbackI propose that this menu is renamed to "Util" or "Utilities"
"i"HelpfeedbackI propose that this menu is renamed to "Info"
starMyMenusettled

Element                Color
unselected icon75,75,75
selected icon255,255,255
menu background20,20,20
tab outline75,75,75

Steve Falcon

g3gg0

histogram   Overlay:
can you make it start from the upper left corner? it looks like mountains :)

check mark:
could be misunderstood. maybe there is an alternative

else:
very good work!
thanks!
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

stevefal

Do you mean a histogram showing crushed blacks?
Steve Falcon

1%

What we've gotten last few days looks really good. ML is looking sharp.

Francis

The histogram looks much nicer than the crop marks. I agree that the check mark isn't very clear.

scrax

IconMenuStatusNote
micAudiosettledI like this old mic
+/-ExposettledThis is perfect
histogramOverlayfeedbackHistogram better than cropmark, maybe a screen border too?
movie cameraMoviesettledA friend of mine once asked me why that icon has  only 2 leg, not sure if it needs 3, other opinions?
camera frontShootsettledAgree
focus indicatorsFocussettledReally nice, what about a border here to, like the one on the focus point selection button?
camera backDisplayfeedbackI think that even if a bit out of contest the monitor display was more clear*, but also I like this new one too, so i'm for it, once used it will fit better.
wrench PrefsfeedbackWrench could be good, since it's used also by canon
check markDebugfeedbackthis is not clear to me, what about an unhappy/broken camera?
"i"HelpfeedbackAgree to rename to "Info"
starMyMenusettledGood how ti is now.

actual icon is more clear also because before that menu was called LiveV(iew) and so it has the same icon that canon use for LV, what about calling it Screen?

stevefal

Quote from: scrax on January 06, 2013, 11:21:00 PM

wrenchDebugfeedbackWrench could be good, since it's used also by canon, but i'll keep Prefs as name

Not sure what you mean by "keep Prefs as name".
Steve Falcon

scrax

Quote from: stevefal on January 06, 2013, 11:38:16 PM
Not sure what you mean by "keep Prefs as name".
Oh no, I'm already confusing them :)

Wrench for me means preferences, customization. So i see it good for Prefs

Unhappy camera for Debug instead of checkmark

edited previous post

g3gg0

Quote from: stevefal on January 06, 2013, 08:39:58 PM
Do you mean a histogram showing crushed blacks?

yes, else you would see mountains, but no histogram :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

stevefal

I've revised Prefs and Debug based on feedback.

Icon                     Menu             Status           Note
micAudiosettled
+/-Exposettled
histogramOverlayfeedback
movie cameraMoviesettled
camera frontShootsettled
focus indicatorsFocussettled
camera backDisplaysettleda1ex, please chime in if you feel strongly
wrenchPrefsfeedback
0s &1sDebugfeedback
"i"HelpfeedbackI propose that this menu is renamed to "Info"
starMyMenusettled

@scraz regarding borders - I try to avoid borders for a few reasons: 1) symbol size - the border occupies space that can otherwise be used for a larger symbol; 2) redundancy - to the extent that symbols are bordered, the symbols become the only discriminating factor, at which point the borders are not helping; 3) uniqueness - borders give symbols the same silhouette, which makes them less differentiated; 4) visual simplicity - remember that when selected, the icon is bordered by the tab.
Steve Falcon

scrax

Quote from: stevefal on January 07, 2013, 05:34:26 PM
@scraz regarding borders - I try to avoid borders for a few reasons: 1) symbol size - the border occupies space that can otherwise be used for a larger symbol; 2) redundancy - to the extent that symbols are bordered, the symbols become the only discriminating factor, at which point the borders are not helping; 3) uniqueness - borders give symbols the same silhouette, which makes them less differentiated; 4) visual simplicity - remember that when selected, the icon is bordered by the tab.

You are right, for focus point border is not useful but the camera screen has it so the border is a part of the symbol, maybe border is not the correct word in that case, a thin screen edge around the overlay maybe?
Since overlay are drawn on screen I think it would help not  confusing the histogram with mountains.