[DONE] save settings to profile

Started by ProperTv, December 19, 2012, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProperTv

I have a lot of jobs which i have to repeat from time to time and which require totaly different settings. Instead of going trough all the menus every time to set everything right, it would be very nice to be able to save all settings in user defined profiles, so I always have a good starting point for each shoot. Is this a possibility?

nanomad

Should be doable. I think someone made a patch some time ago but it's now offline...I'll see if I can get in touch with him again
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

drapeama

That would be nice, as there's more than one profile, but each time I've change something in a specific profile, it applies to all the other active profiles. That would be a time saver if we could customize all profiles separately (cropmarks, histogram, etc)
[SIZE=1]I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.[/SIZE]

Malcolm Debono

This sounds like a really nice & practical feature to have.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

gerk.raisen

I agree.
You can save a lot of time when using the camera

nanomad

ok, here is rough a rough draft of the feature I'll develop during the holydays
- 4 profile banks + 1 default (for compatibility with the current ml builds)
- quick loading by starting the camera with one of the 4 arrows pressed

Any other suggestions? Or is it good enough?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: nanomad on December 22, 2012, 03:20:16 AM

Sounds good! Would it be possible to give them a custom name maybe through the config file (i.e. written earlier on a PC)?
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

scrax

Quote from: nanomad on December 22, 2012, 03:20:16 AM

I think that they need to be the same number as what is set for LV display presets, They just need to keep setting saved for each one instead of having 4 preset and one common option saved.
At start should be loaded last used by default, and the quick arrow load is a good plus.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

gerk.raisen

My 2cent

Why not some sort of copy/clone of one profile to another?
And/or use the default one as base and you only modify some settings?

bye.

drapeama

From what I recall, using the Flash button (side of the camera) can display all the profiles one after the other. That being said, if we could customize each one of these profiles (one with 2.40:1 ratio + Histogram, another with 16x9 + WaveForms) and save them in the config file, then we could just "swap" them depending what you need.
You can, in ML menu, select the display you want (from 0 to 4 I think) and then, you can change the settings. Only problem is that when you change something in one, it change in every other profiles.
The ability to save each profiles separately would be great. I guess the only thing that it would affect would be the config file size?
[SIZE=1]I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.[/SIZE]

scrax

Quote from: drapeama on December 22, 2012, 04:30:33 PM
From what I recall, using the Flash button (side of the camera) can display all the profiles one after the other. That being said, if we could customize each one of these profiles (one with 2.40:1 ratio + Histogram, another with 16x9 + WaveForms) and save them in the config file, then we could just "swap" them depending what you need.
You can, in ML menu, select the display you want (from 0 to 4 I think) and then, you can change the settings. Only problem is that when you change something in one, it change in every other profiles.
The ability to save each profiles separately would be great. I guess the only thing that it would affect would be the config file size?
totally agree, ML settings saved for each display profile will make them more usable.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

deleted.account.01

Quote from: ProperTv on December 19, 2012, 11:32:15 AM
I have a lot of jobs which i have to repeat from time to time and which require totaly different settings. Instead of going trough all the menus every time to set everything right, it would be very nice to be able to save all settings in user defined profiles, so I always have a good starting point for each shoot. Is this a possibility?

yes i have same stuff here.. all the time set al lthings from begin.. will be cool to have this stuff...i was talk abotue it in few posts time ago but looks liek  :DD no one  sean it

drapeama

Quote from: scrax on December 22, 2012, 04:39:29 PM
totally agree, ML settings saved for each display profile will make them more usable.
Otherwise, it doesn't change much to have all them!
Another thing I've forgot: when you have multiple Picture Styles (Marvel's Cine, Technicolor CineStyle, etc) it would make it very quick and useful to have them saved in different Profiles.
I usually always shoot 2.40:1 for my short films, so I would most probably save the same Cropmark in every profile, but each one with a different Picture Style. That, and different options as well (Histograms, WaveForms, etc).

a1ex

Here's how I see it:

- display presets are just that: user configurations for overlays. They only change display settings, not camera settings or other features.

- multiple config presets: that's a different beast. Ken Rockwell said it well, it's like having 3 different cameras. On high-end cameras, this could be integrated with Canon's C modes.

So, I'd leave the display presets as they are now, and I'd add some sort of menu where you can select the config file you want to use. For example, in the ML/SETTINGS directory, you can have a few *.CFG files, autodetected in the same way as cropmarks, and the user can choose the config file to use from a submenu.

Some tricky things:

- Most (but not all) config values will take effect right away, so it may be enough to just reload another config file. Some of them don't (e.g. audio settings). A safe way is to load the config file only at startup (not on the fly).

- The config file might include some camera settings to be applied at startup. Which ones? Hint: 400plus presets feature does this.

- I like the idea of a startup menu from which you can choose which config file to load, and maybe to bypass ML completely. So, holding SET while booting the camera can bring up this (tiny) menu.

- You can also go for a submenu from which you can reboot the camera with a different config file (tip: use PROP_REBOOT_MAYBE for that).

Why not some sort of copy/clone of one profile to another?
And/or use the default one as base and you only modify some settings?

I like this idea, but it will introduce another degree of complexity. Which settings should be in the base profile (main config file) and which settings should be saved in the preset config file? User-selectable or hardcoded?

deleted.account.01

will be cool to have way for pick single file what ML making (config file ) or create aother one with out erasing previous..so all is importand its next Tabwhere uwill have all ( Config files u created ) and u just pick right one u like,, this stuff is all ready in ML but u cant choice witch config file u liek to use ..let say tis time or later..

scrax

Quote from: a1ex on December 23, 2012, 05:00:03 PM
Here's how I see it:
- display presets are just that: user configurations for overlays. They only change display settings, not camera settings or other features.
The problem is that actually is not possible to have specific overlay settings for each preset. You can just select what's on and what's off but what is set in submenu is common to all preset. This ported me to not use them, I'll use them more if I can change for example cropmarks from one to another preset. This can be seen separate from the ML config save request.

For the ML config file saving I think that the FUNCTION_CUSTOM_MODE in my pull request can be expanded to include ML settings, and improved with the SET submenu at startup trick.

- You can also go for a submenu from which you can reboot the camera with a different config file (tip: use PROP_REBOOT_MAYBE for that).
Good.Is this new? IIRC you told me wasn't possible some time ago, but maybe I'm wrong...

gerk.raisen

Hello all,

@Alex
My idea about the multiple profiles it can be:

a base profile (it can be the profile nr.1) with the default settings

The others profiles starts by default with all the menu items/values inherited from the parent default base profile.
In every profile, the inherited setting are shown with a different color (like now with the disabled greyed out with the MENU button) so you can distinguish it, but with a button you can enable it and setting a different value, overriding it default.

The config files simply are:
the base profile with all the settings and the others profiles with values in the fields only when different from the base profile, otherwise the fields will be empty.

deleted.account.01

like for now iuse this idea what i made long time ago in this way..

ML making Config files.. i got in my pc some 4 diferente config files.. what i saved in time.

when i going out at night i got confing no.1
when i go out in day i copy to my memory card Config files No.2

this is my way.. but

this will be more eazy if copy operation and replacing config files what i doing  by my pc  all be done in side ML ,, it sound so eazy ,,

just  another Tab or in side Prefer Tab put another line with Select Config u like to use this time..

drapeama

It cannot be done, with a submenu, but "on-the-fly" ? Without rebooting?
Choosing from all the different "available" display profiles within that submenu?

scrax

Quote from: drapeama on January 06, 2013, 08:45:36 AM
It cannot be done, with a submenu, but "on-the-fly" ? Without rebooting?

Rebooting is needed to load the new config file and re initialize all ML setting. But it will be done when selecting the new profile, so you will not need to switch camera off and on, just change setting and wait a couple of sec.

frspp

5d2