Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcio

How do I set the amount of time ML is on-screen? After 3 sec it returns automatically to normal screen :(

Levas

That's a known bug. If you have live view on or are in video mode, the ML menu disappears very quickly.
Known solution, keep pressing buttons, so press up and down button while you're in the ML menu  :P

jalyllcss

HELLO,I want  to  know when the version of 1.14 for 6d establish? thanks

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ -> Troll Questions -> Last entries

keepersdungeon

I've been testing raw video yesterday and most of my night shots have a lots of dead pixels, hot pixels randomly on each frame and banding! I've seen other posts and it seemed to have been fixed. I tried everything I found but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help with this, and how can  I avoid this in the future is it due to low light? thanks

Edit:Here's a link to some imgs :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu1y93v2faqynvh/M06-2220_000000.dng?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrbbufmglyizibr/M06-2239_000000.dng?dl=0

Is this fixable in post?

Any help would be great.

Levas

Lot's of dead/hot pixels. What ISO was this shot in ?

Don't know which programs you already tried, but I loaded them into RawTherapee and they're fixable, but you there are still a lot of black pixels in the frame  ecause of the dead pixels, but in a video they might not be that bothering...

For the future:
-Remap your pixels: google on the words -> remap pixels canon
This helped a lot for mine 6d.
-Find a photo/video editor software that can fix the remaining dead/hot pixels, I use RawTherapee, but there are a lot more options out there.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Levas on June 07, 2015, 04:07:42 PM
Lot's of dead/hot pixels. What ISO was this shot in ?

Don't know which programs you already tried, but I loaded them into RawTherapee and they're fixable, but you there are still a lot of black pixels in the frame  ecause of the dead pixels, but in a video they might not be that bothering...

For the future:
-Remap your pixels: google on the words -> remap pixels canon
This helped a lot for mine 6d.
-Find a photo/video editor software that can fix the remaining dead/hot pixels, I use RawTherapee, but there are a lot more options out there.
Either 3200 or 6400 iso. But actually the once Shot like 30 min earlier were great not even one dead pixel. There was a bit more light.

They are disturbing coz they flicker all over the pic :/
it's ok for the footage don't really care it was just a test I can re-share them but it was just to see the coz of this, if it's due to the long time shooting and the cam got hot? Or the way I shot them? Or something else...

Levas

Looks like they are shot while it turns slowly dark outside.
30 minutes earlier can make a lot of difference with available light.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Levas on June 07, 2015, 05:14:35 PM
Looks like they are shot while it turns slowly dark outside.
30 minutes earlier can make a lot of difference with available light.
Is it due to the low light?

Levas

could be, or because the sensor got warm.
The shots earlier, where they shot on the same settings(iso, diafragma and shutter time) ?

If settings were the same, my guess it was caused by underexposure.

If I shoot something in low light with ISO 3200 or 6400 I use dark frame subtraction in RawTherapee.
I made darkframe MLV's and combined them to one single frame for dark frame subtraction.
But in those cases I have the vertical banding noise, which I'm not seeing in your shots.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Levas on June 07, 2015, 05:43:40 PM
could be, or because the sensor got warm.
The shots earlier, where they shot on the same settings(iso, diafragma and shutter time) ?

If settings were the same, my guess it was caused by underexposure.

If I shoot something in low light with ISO 3200 or 6400 I use dark frame subtraction in RawTherapee.
I made darkframe MLV's and combined them to one single frame for dark frame subtraction.
But in those cases I have the vertical banding noise, which I'm not seeing in your shots.

No I had lower iso like 800 or 1600. But the dark frame won't work coz the dead pixels changes form a Frame to another and one shot to another. 
And I'm a bit confused now coz I've seen a video of someone shooting in h2. 46 not even raw and the footage are very clean and it was in low light too....  Need to do another test.  U never had that prob shooting raw videos in low light?

Walter Schulz

Canon H.264 uses quite some noise reduction and some sharpening and some upscaling and some softening and because of it's soft/mashy output Canon has been dissed quite often.
You're comparing incomparable things: RAW without that much image manipulation and a heavily manipulated one.
If you're happier with H.264 ...

Levas

Don't forget that raw needs to be processed and developed, just like shooting a raw photo.
If you shoot a photo canon raw CR2 format on iso 6400, you need (heavy) noise reduction and dead/hot pixel remover too.

Shooting low light/ high iso in raw means a little more time on tweaking the image

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 07, 2015, 05:58:14 PM
Canon H.264 uses quite some noise reduction and some sharpening and some upscaling and some softening and because of it's soft/mashy output Canon has been dissed quite often.
You're comparing incomparable things: RAW without that much image manipulation and a heavily manipulated one.
If you're happier with H.264 ...
I'm not happier I'm just trying to understand where the dead pixels coming from

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Levas on June 07, 2015, 06:27:17 PM
Don't forget that raw needs to be processed and developed, just like shooting a raw photo.
If you shoot a photo canon raw CR2 format on iso 6400, you need (heavy) noise reduction and dead/hot pixel remover too.

Shooting low light/ high iso in raw means a little more time on tweaking the image
Well on my photos even in high iso there's no dead pixels

Walter Schulz

Levas

With video the sensor is heating up by being used and exposed the whole time.
So more hot pixels then in photo mode. (And maybe there's some more 'magic' going on in the CR2 file format, which makes it cleaner  ???)
BUT:
Have you already tried remapping your pixels(search for it on google, something with lens cap on the body and manual sensor cleaning)
Remapping pixels helped a lot with my camera in raw video for the higher iso's.

The camera extracts the hot pixels from this map in real/time, so you start with cleaner frames.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Levas on June 07, 2015, 07:01:39 PM
With video the sensor is heating up by being used and exposed the whole time.
So more hot pixels then in photo mode. (And maybe there's some more 'magic' going on in the CR2 file format, which makes it cleaner  ???)
BUT:
Have you already tried remapping your pixels(search for it on google, something with lens cap on the body and manual sensor cleaning)
Remapping pixels helped a lot with my camera in raw video for the higher iso's.

The camera extracts the hot pixels from this map in real/time, so you start with cleaner frames.
Ok thanks I'll give that a try.

KelvinK

There's no magic with CRs :) Canon firmware processing them and removing hot pixels, even with 3200 iso and 30 seconds you wont get any pixels, until your censor is dead. It's same with original canon video.
Very strange you're getting hot pixels in different locations on different frames with same time shooting. Noramly I get them at same location, but it cabe different other day.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

LR removes automatically removes most of dead pixels as well.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

keepersdungeon

Quote from: KelvinK on June 08, 2015, 10:23:45 AM
LR removes automatically removes most of dead pixels as well.
Hello Yeah those pixels appears at iso 6400 (not sure if 3200 too should try it tonight) . I was able to remove most but there are still a lot and as they go randomly on each frame they flicker while playing the video. And I realized that it's only on highlights area.

If it's not too much to ask can u try like iso 6400 in medium light room and see if u have them as well?

Thanks for ur reply

anti

(searched this thread but not seen this mentioned)

I've been shooting with dual ISO for many months on my 6D. Normally not noticed any issues. This weekend I went out and shot a bunch of images, using ISO 100/1600, with my camera mounted on top of a pole and remotely triggered using Pocket Wizards. When I reviewed the photos later, I noticed some did not shoot as dual ISO.

They seemed to perhaps be related to waking the camera up after a couple of minutes, and the first burst is capturing in 'normal' mode, before it switches on dual ISO. I missed a few shots (or more properly, I got them but they're shot a couple of stops under) which is a bit of a shame but hey...but as I've never come across this inconsistency before I wanted to post it here in case this is known.

My guess is that the half-press to wake is enough to get the camera ready for shooting, but there's some kind of lag/delay before a command kicks in to enable dual ISO for the remainder of the burst (or for a second burst). Camera was set to continuous shoot mode.

FYI Build was magiclantern-Nightly.2015May03.6D113

Sapporo

My ML on my 6D will not load correctly if it goes into sleep mode and I after that press the shutter. For example the AF-shortcut of the SET-button. I have changed the sleeping mode to 8 minutes instead of 1 minute now.

anti

Thanks @sapporo, sounds like that may well be the issue. I'll the time as you suggest, cheers