Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

very cool PoC, maqs. i like it :)
but i dont have a WiFi-capable camera so i cannot test.

(and whose WiFi SD cards are totally unusable unfortunately)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Maqs

Quote from: olehenrikj on April 22, 2015, 08:39:46 PM
Tried the 116-version, and the dualiso plugin is broken of what I checked (only loaded that and ETTR).

Thanks a lot for testing and reporting! The module was missing the check for 6D 1.1.6 and should work now (same link, new file):

Quote from: Maqs on April 20, 2015, 06:08:59 PM
For those willing to test 1.1.6:

nikfreak

Hi Maqs,

got some time to chime in? I gues it applies still to 6D.116, right?

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1974/6d-in-live-view-mode-ml-menu-times-out

70D suffers from same problem and I already tried some canceltimers starting at line 307++ but haven't been lucky
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: nikfreak on April 22, 2015, 09:40:53 PM

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1974/6d-in-live-view-mode-ml-menu-times-out
Oh that would be nice, pretty infuriating glitch on my M1 too  :-X

olehenrikj

Quote from: Maqs on April 22, 2015, 09:33:11 PM
Thanks a lot for testing and reporting! The module was missing the check for 6D 1.1.6 and should work now (same link, new file):

It works now, thanks. However, I dunno if this is a fault of a nightly or something you have done latelly, but the battery level doesnt show up at start anymore (the percentage). the standard screen is starting up with no modifications, but i still can start ML with trash can.

Maqs

Quote from: olehenrikj on April 22, 2015, 09:58:57 PM
It works now, thanks. However, I dunno if this is a fault of a nightly or something you have done latelly, but the battery level doesnt show up at start anymore (the percentage). the standard screen is starting up with no modifications, but i still can start ML with trash can.

I can see the battery percentage, but it takes a while after starting the camera for ML to come up.

Quote from: nikfreak on April 22, 2015, 09:40:53 PM
Hi Maqs,

70D suffers from same problem and I already tried some canceltimers starting at line 307++ but haven't been lucky

I'll see what I can find, that bug seems pretty annoying.

Kathode-Ray

Quote from: Maqs
The port is working fine here, but there's about no feedback from testers so far. :-(

Just to chime in: I updated my 6D to 1.1.6 > unpacking your 'nightly' ZIP now :-)

I'll report back if I find any issues. Thanks a lot for your work!

Ray
6DmkII | M50 | M || AT-X 16-28 | 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L IS || 35 2.0 IS | 45 1.8 VC | 100 2.0 | 135 2.0 || 11-22 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 22 | 28 Macro || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro

npb

Maqs

I previously tried the 113 version and was able to record raw (MLV_REC) video within the limitations of the 6D. I then upgraded to 116 and, using Maqs' files, have been unable to record raw (neither MLV_REC nor RAW_REC). I tried several times with different resolutions, but nothing has worked so far. I always end up with a .mlv file of 1 kb, and a .tmp file with 259,088.kb (which I notice seems to be the same size for every .tmp file -- including those that worked when I used fm 113). The first thing I notice when I switch the LiveView/Movie switch to Movie, is that the objects in my lens' view appear briefly in color and then turn dark grey with no color. While attempting to record, after pushing the record button, there is a "Preparing" message for several seconds and then the little red video camera indicator with the time elapsed appears, but the time does not increment and the rec/standby box continues to indicate "Not Recording."  Apart from the raw video, other functions appear to work, such as the Intervalometer and the GPS function. So, at the moment, my only problem with Maqs' files is with recording raw video. The first time I installed Maqs' files, I encountered all these problems. So I removed Magic Lantern and was using my 6D with the 116 fm. I did not encounter any problems with 116 that were noticeable to me.  Then olehenrikj reported problems with the dualiso plugin which Maqs fixed with a new file (same link as the old file). So I downloaded the new file, installed it, and re-encountered all of the above raw video problems. 

Thanks very much.

Norm

Maqs

Hello Norm,

thanks for testing! You're right, something's wrong there. I already tripple-checked most of the stubs used there, so I need to look at this at a deeper level, which may take some time. :-/

nikfreak

did you already verify the state-objects (6D.116 / include / platform / state-object.h)?
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

npb

Hi Maqs

I also noticed that when I tried to take a photo using Live View, the screen turned dark grey just as it had when I was switching to movie mode when attempting raw video. So there seems to be a common issue with the Live View mode both for photos and for raw video. When I restarted the camera and held the set button, thus avoiding loading Magic Lantern, I was able to use the Live View to take a photo without any problem.

Since I am experimenting with shooting raw video (just to see how it works. I have no intention of actually using it for my home/recreational purposes, since it really takes a lot of time, effort and resources to arrive at a finished product), I have switched back to fm 113 for the time being. So take your time finding a fix. I have no doubt you will eventually figure this out. I do appreciate you and the others who are able to do this sort of programming for your great work, and, to be honest, I'm a bit jealous.   

Norm

Maqs

Quote from: nikfreak on April 26, 2015, 09:58:52 PM
did you already verify the state-objects (6D.116 / include / platform / state-object.h)?

Ooops, you are completely right, thanks! My bad, I overlooked those. Fixed them and raw recording works now - at least here. :)

So here are the new test images:

Quote from: Maqs

As for ML itself, using those builds is at your own risk. I use those (and more unstable/testing ones) on a daily basis, but not for important work. You can always start your camera without ML by keeping SET pressed while turning it on. This also comes in handy dealing with April's fool jokes. If you experience any strange behaviour like freezing, crashes, stuff turning weird, the best way usually is to take the battery out and put it back in.

npb

FM 116 Raw recording and Live View are both working here too. That was fast.

Thanks very much.

SuperMouseDV

I have added Magic Lantern for 1.1.6 to one of my Canon 6D's I know without ML on the external power supply (3rd Party) does not work I get an error 70 and the camera locks up :( But so far after 5 minutes and counting version 1.1.6 is still trucking..  Ill give you more updates.
MY only issues the same with ML 1.1.3 is I cannot have an external audio source into my camera while on power supply.
I have a Tascam DR-60 , Tascam DR-40 , And a Rhode 9v mic that keep giving me the Mic connected Mic Disconnected error.. Both 1.1.6 and 1.1.3 ML give me that error..  Hopefully someone can recommend something besides don't use them ...

Thanks in advance Will let you know if it shuts down ...

This is cool that I can use the new update :)

Update with the 3rd party power supply I was able to record almost an hour of footage.(I shut it off) Also I hooked an audio source into it while it recorded and it was dropping in and out( can't hook up audio before you hit record it will lock up the camera)  .. I then took the 3rd party power supply off and ran it with a battery and never had a drop out of audio.(this device was the Tascam DR-60 playing back previously recorded audio. ) 

If I can return to 1.1.3 I will and run the latest ML but wanted to test this out.. Also I did the Canon Firmware (1.1.6) and ML is not letting me the ML version.(yet ML for 1.1.6 runs). It locks up if I try to install Firmware.

KelvinK

Anyone has issue with Powersave option in very latest builds 15.04? When sensor is off you can turn it on only by top wheel, doesn't respond to shutter button anymore after some time. It happens after some time of using camera. At the beginning camera wakes up with shutter, but after 10-15 minutes only with wheel.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

ddelreal

Can't thank you guys enough for all the hard work and dedication to keeping ML Raw working on the 6D. I have a couple of 6D bodies and a Panasonic GH4. While the GH4 is a good 4K camera, I'm still blown away by the 14bit raw on my 6D bodies. 4K is nice but ML raw still looks incredible compared to the GH4 files - even with a little moire/aliasing on the 6D (some of which can be fixed in post).

Greg #

Hello, so am I right in saying Magic lantern for firmware 1.1.6 is now supported? Or is it still being developed?

Also, just wanted to say thank you to the people that have worked on Magic Lantern for the 6D. It is appreciated!  :)

criz_a

Why don't we do a fundraising to buy a Canon 6D for one of the main developers here? I mean 35 people pay 40 bucks and it's on! Is it because of Tragic Lantern, that nobody has done it? If enough people respond to this post even I will consider starting a $ collection! Best Regards.

SuperMouseDV

Levas

Been talked about before on the ML forum, buy a camera for the developer, or, donate money.
But it's (spare)time that they really need.
A day has 24 hours, you need some sleep, you go to work, spend time with the family...

Maybe we should look for some body doubles to do the developers day jobs  ;D

nikonja

Count me in for donations

Walter Schulz

As Levas said: It's not money that counts here. We had fundings done in no time before.
If you want to do something for the project your support will be appreciated a lot: User Guide redo, testing/debugging or any other thing to improve.
But if you have a spare developer in the attic we will all be very, very excited.

Maqs

I also agree with what Levas and Walter said: it's more a time issue than a money issue. Even though I'm still in training and can't throw money around, I already have the camera. For me, the main problem is that I am not a 'real' user but rather somebody who enjoys hacking and uses the camera for hobby photography only. That said, it shouldn't be too difficult to port the comparably few things (mostly addresses of functions or structures) that need porting for a new feature. I try to test everything I put in public as good as I can. I'm confident that the 6D.116 port should by now include everything that 6D.113 does and even a bit more (like working sound with the new sound system).

The general problems I see from my point of view:

• New ports or features need testing. This should ideally be done by actual users who know what they need and how the results should look, but not in a production context.
  • What features are missing? What doesn't work correctly for the 6D? Sadly, what's currently in the bug tracker doesn't really help a lot.

I would also be glad if anyone could confirm that batteries by other manufacturers do not work for 6D.116, as I have both non-Canon batteries and a cheap China AC adapter and both work after answering an initial "Communication with battery not possible. Do you really want to use it?" (or similar) prompt with "Yes" only the first time after inserting the battery.

There are also a few long term goals on my todo list like implementing a http server to browse photos (networking is working fine via DLNA mode), HTTP or FTP uploads of images/videos (the latter may be sloooow), the GPS feature suggested by fdzaebel or maybe getting mjpeg recording to work, but that still needs a lot of testing and benchmarking to see if the encoder would be fast enough to make it feasible at a reasonable frame rate. "Features" like MP3 streaming are just for fun and just to test the networking API. :-)

Feedback is - of course - welcome! :-)

edit: You'll find a new 6D.116 thread here to disentangle it from general discussion: Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.6

Virginie

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I own a 6D and just updated the firmware to 1.1.6... I don't know if I was wrong or not.  ::)
I'd like to use ML in order to have a intervalometer function on my camera since the intervalometer I own only works with my T4i.

I've never installed ML before so... where should I start ? I'm a little lost when I see the discussion here and the different options.

Quote from: MaqsMaqs said :
Nightly-like firmware .zip: download
Is this the right file? Can I install it the way I see ML being installed in this tutorial?

Thanks for your help!

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Virginie on May 17, 2015, 12:13:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I own a 6D and just updated the firmware to 1.1.6... I don't know if I was wrong or not.  ::)
I'd like to use ML in order to have a intervalometer function on my camera since the intervalometer I own only works with my T4i.

I've never installed ML before so... where should I start ? I'm a little lost when I see the discussion here and the different options.
Is this the right file? Can I install it the way I see ML being installed in this tutorial?

Thanks for your help!
The latest nightly ML builds for 6D are for firmware 1.1.3 so if u wanna use it u need to downgrade ur firmware. Just Follow the instructions here
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

And on the side lots of great people are working hard to make ML available for the 1.1.6
If u wanna test it and help them out u can find more infos here
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15088.0