Previous topic - Next topic

Sukram

1. +1  ;)
2. +1  ;D

Greetings,

Markus.

grey

Quote from: SuperMouseDV on April 17, 2015, 02:43:24 AM
I wouldn't mind if software enlargement was used to help fill the screen and get rid of the boarders.

Who don't let you enlarge it in post, by software?

SuperMouseDV

I mean the hdmi output had no boarders it's full 1080 in post no resize needed. But a full hdmi output would rock even if it's a software enlargement but it's probably a troll question

Maqs

6D.116 - specific

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 19, 2015, 08:22:31 PM
Concerning the 6d.116 port: Thanks maqs & jlgw for the work (even double the amount :-p).

1. It would be nice if both attempts would be merged, jlgw looks a bit more complete right now (including the stub for SetAudioVolumeIn), but maqs has some patches for modules jlgw doesn't have. Here's the wrap:

https://bitbucket.org/JLGW/magic-lantern/branches/compare/6D-116%0Dunified#diff
https://bitbucket.org/Maqs/magic-lantern/branches/compare/6D.116%0Dunified#diff

I left out SetAudioVolumeIn for a reason - it is only used in bitrate-6d.c, which is "disabled" anyway. It cannot be used safely, as all the cache_hack()s would need updating. Consider it a safety measure.

The port is working fine here, but there's about no feedback from testers so far. :-(

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 19, 2015, 08:22:31 PM
2. Personally, I won't use 1.1.6 until it can beep() - can it?

No need for any cache hacking here - just merge in the new sound system, uncomment "#define CONFIG_BEEP" in internals.h and it can beep:
https://bitbucket.org/Maqs/magic-lantern/commits/7dee3c7e7690d6f9e277838a15e9514b35c349a6

The mp3 player works as well, including nice sound effects when turning off the camera while playing. :-)

SuperMouseDV

I mean the hdmi output had no boarders it's full 1080 in post no resize needed. But a full hdmi output would rock even if it's a software enlargement but it's probably a troll question

Marsu42

> The port is working fine here, but there's about no feedback from testers so far. :-(

Well, yeah, that's ML development for you - esp. with a camera with an incomplete port and "blindly" maintained there won't be a lot of folks here using it. But now that beep works I'll switch, but not in the next few days but more like few weeks.

> No need for any cache hacking here - just merge in the new sound system, uncomment "#define CONFIG_BEEP" in internals.h and it can beep

Great news, thanks! I knew the new sound system was working on it, but didn't realize it was already working as the last commit in this branch is months old and usually things only work on 5d3 first and then filter down to 6d eventually.

RTLdan

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 20, 2015, 06:06:55 AM
> The port is working fine here, but there's about no feedback from testers so far. :-(

Well, yeah, that's ML development for you - esp. with a camera with an incomplete port and "blindly" maintained there won't be a lot of folks here using it. But now that beep works I'll switch, but not in the next few days but more like few weeks.

Just want to throw my .02 in on this point as a 6D ML user --
Basically, I've not seen any real reason to upgrade to 116,  so even less reason to have been paying attention to ML's 116 update. If I'm not mistaken the 6D gains almost nothing from 116, but loses 3rd party battery support, which is my main resistance to updating. As far as 6D users interested in using and testing ML, we are out here, maybe just not all of us  are ready to switch to 116 and give up our 3rd party batteries. I'd love to be mistaken on the battery issue.

Best,
-Daniel

Maqs

Quote from: RTLdan on April 20, 2015, 07:42:05 AM
Just want to throw my .02 in on this point as a 6D ML user --
Basically, I've not seen any real reason to upgrade to 116,  so even less reason to have been paying attention to ML's 116 update. If I'm not mistaken the 6D gains almost nothing from 116, but loses 3rd party battery support, which is my main resistance to updating. As far as 6D users interested in using and testing ML, we are out here, maybe just not all of us  are ready to switch to 116 and give up our 3rd party batteries. I'd love to be mistaken on the battery issue.

Are you sure about the batteries? I'm using a cheap china ac adapter for development and it just shows a message the first time I start after putting it in, saying something like "Could not connect to battery. Use this battery?". I then select "OK" and I can use the camera. I have to take it out(or disconnect the power) for the message to show again, just turning the camera off and on again won't trigger it. It should however not be impossible to get rid of that message.

For my PATONA LP-E6 battery, the camera does not complain at all.

Levas

I see no reason to upgrade to 1.1.6.
As far as I can tell, nothing serious was introduced with these new firmwares since 1.1.3.

To be able to use magic lantern is the reason for me to stay at 1.1.3.

If ML stays at 1.1.3, I stay at 1.1.3.
If ML development is switching to 1.1.6, I'm switching to 1.1.6.

SuperMouseDV

Maqs just to sure are you using 1.1.3 or 1.1.6 I upgraded to 1.1.4 and lost use of my power supplies they would let me record for 10 minutes then shut the camera off.  Right now I have an issue with using an external audio device while on 3rd party power supplies. I keep getting mic plugged in mic unplugged constantly . And the camera will not record. Thinking of trying 1.1.6 to see if the power supply works and if the audio issues goes away.. If it does not work I'll revert to 1.1.3 and ML

Maqs

Quote from: SuperMouseDV on April 20, 2015, 10:28:06 AM
Maqs just to sure are you using 1.1.3 or 1.1.6 I upgraded to 1.1.4 and lost use of my power supplies they would let me record for 10 minutes then shut the camera off.  Right now I have an issue with using an external audio device while on 3rd party power supplies. I keep getting mic plugged in mic unplugged constantly . And the camera will not record. Thinking of trying 1.1.6 to see if the power supply works and if the audio issues goes away.. If it does not work I'll revert to 1.1.3 and ML

I'm using 1.1.6. So the exact problem is that the camera does not record with non-Canon batteries?

For those willing to test 1.1.6:

The latter does not have raw_rec in it, as the module does not compile properly. Do not expect all sounds to work properly (the mp3 player and beep testing does, but arkanoid crashes) due to some problem I'm trying to investigate. Also let me mention that new-sound-system is no "productive" branch and you may find other problems with it.

An installer (new one) for 6D.116 is included for your convenience. Once again, as for ML itself, using those builds is at your own risk. I use those (and more unstable/testing ones) on a daily basis, but not for important work. You can always start your camera without ML by keeping SET pressed while turning it on. This also comes in handy dealing with April's fool jokes. If you experience any strange behaviour like freezing, crashes, stuff turning weird, the best way usually is to take the battery out and put it back in.

Please report problems to me via IRC or a direct message, as I am not in the forum often.

Marsu42

Quote from: RTLdan on April 20, 2015, 07:42:05 AMIf I'm not mistaken the 6D gains almost nothing from 116, but loses 3rd party battery support, which is my main resistance to updating. As far as 6D users interested in using and testing ML, we are out here, maybe just not all of us  are ready to switch to 116 and give up our 3rd party batteries.

* You're mistaken, 1.1.6 contains a critical fix (if you're hurt by the bug) for tracking with all af pts as lower fw versions tended to ignore the center point. I'm a victim of this absolutely hilarious and annoying behavior, that's why I need to update.

* As far as I've read the posts on CR discussing Canon's battery game, only old or non-chipped batteries are sanctioned with an annoying message - but if you've got a newer clone battery with a chip it should still work. Actually the battery charger is more likely to refuse 3rd party batteries than the camera atm.

Quote from: Maqs on April 20, 2015, 06:08:59 PM
Do not expect all sounds to work properly (the mp3 player and beep testing does, but arkanoid crashes) due to some problem I'm trying to investigate. Also let me mention that new-sound-system is no "productive" branch and you may find other problems with it.

Well, a lot of stuff stuck in branches is probably working 99% and isn't merged for missing the last 1% (no pun intended to the former TL author :-)).

Thanks for looking into the sound system crash, but it could be difficult as no dev around here has a 6d and will be able to help you - I faintly remember the 6d using some rather exotic sound chip? I'll wait for you reporting back here on this.

Maqs

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 20, 2015, 07:15:27 PM
Thanks for looking into the sound system crash, but it could be difficult as no dev around here has a 6d and will be able to help you - I faintly remember the 6d using some rather exotic sound chip? I'll wait for you reporting back here on this.

The 6d has the same audio codec as the 5d3, so this shouldn't be a big problem. However, they use different interfaces (I2C on 6d, SPI on 5d3). :-)

At the moment, the only problem left seems to be something with StopASIFDMADAC (will ASSERT and then show ERR 70). Seems to be some semaphore thing, not toooo difficult I hope. I'll keep you updated. I will also try to provide updates in form of full nightly-like .zip files with the installer, but I will most likely start a new thread for 6D.116.

Channone

Long time user of Magic Lantern for 60D and 6D. Thanks for all your work with 6d.116. I will take a look at testing it.

Marsu42

Quote from: Maqs on April 20, 2015, 08:03:46 PM
At the moment, the only problem left seems to be something with StopASIFDMADAC (will ASSERT and then show ERR 70). Seems to be some semaphore thing, not toooo difficult I hope.

An assert getting in the way :-p ... that's exactly what 1% patched out in his TL build :->. He didn't find a way 'round it, I hope you have more luck as this is definitely outside my scope of expertise.

Maqs

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 20, 2015, 09:52:13 PM
An assert getting in the way :-p ... that's exactly what 1% patched out in his TL build :->. He didn't find a way 'round it, I hope you have more luck as this is definitely outside my scope of expertise.

Yes, already done and working. I'd also like to thank g3gg0 for his help. The thing is that StopASIFDMADAC cannot be called from the callback, as the semaphore is already taken there, which will result in TakeSemaphore in StopASIFDMADAC to time out, then ASSERT (ERR 70). There's still a problem with arkanoid beeps, but I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

edit: Here's the pull request for those interested. Other new cameras (like the 70D) could have similar problems.

a1ex

Great, that sounds like a proper fix.

fdzaebel

Hi all,

I plan to buy a 6D and use Magic Lantern on it. One thing I am not happy about is the "last fix repeat" behavior when the camera is not able to detect the satellites (e.g. within in buildings). As far as I know the 6D keeps the last GPS coordinates for 10 minutes and after this time it simply stops to save geo information within the pictures.

My question: Did Magic Lantern address this issue and if not, is it planned to be addressed, e.g. by simply saving the last coordinates within the pictures for more than 10 minutes (better than no information)? I searched the forum but did not see any discussions on this.

THANKS,

Frank.

Maqs

Quote from: fdzaebel on April 20, 2015, 11:55:59 PM
I plan to buy a 6D and use Magic Lantern on it. One thing I am not happy about is the "last fix repeat" behavior when the camera is not able to detect the satellites (e.g. within in buildings). As far as I know the 6D keeps the last GPS coordinates for 10 minutes and after this time it simply stops to save geo information within the pictures.

My question: Did Magic Lantern address this issue and if not, is it planned to be addressed, e.g. by simply saving the last coordinates within the pictures for more than 10 minutes (better than no information)? I searched the forum but did not see any discussions on this.

It is not on my to-do list at the moment, but I could look into it once all issues with the port are solved. The 6D is the only camera with a built-in GPS that is supported by ML. The 7D Mk II has one as well, but is not supported by ML (yet?). Therefore we should maybe go for implementing all the GPS related features in a module. Maybe some features can be used from cameras with external GPS support as well.

fdzaebel

QuoteIt is not on my to-do list at the moment, but I could look into it once all issues with the port are solved. The 6D is the only camera with a built-in GPS that is supported by ML. The 7D Mk II has one as well, but is not supported by ML (yet?). Therefore we should maybe go for implementing all the GPS related features in a module. Maybe some features can be used from cameras with external GPS support as well.

Great news for me. I am not a developer but could I help you concerning this? E.g. with Testing or other things?

RTLdan

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 20, 2015, 07:15:27 PM
* You're mistaken, 1.1.6 contains a critical fix (if you're hurt by the bug) for tracking with all af pts as lower fw versions tended to ignore the center point. I'm a victim of this absolutely hilarious and annoying behavior, that's why I need to update.

* As far as I've read the posts on CR discussing Canon's battery game, only old or non-chipped batteries are sanctioned with an annoying message - but if you've got a newer clone battery with a chip it should still work. Actually the battery charger is more likely to refuse 3rd party batteries than the camera atm.

Ahh, I see. I should have clarified that for me personally, I've never experienced an AF problem because I'm shooting all manual glass anyway. I can see why you might want the af point bug fixed.
And as for the batteries, I had not tested this problem myself, but remember reading a few different people who had reported 3rd party batteries no longer working. This is actually good news to hear, as most of my batteries are not Canon OEM and I may at some point update if ML is working on 116.

Still, I think what I was getting at is there may be a few other 6D owners out here, like me, who haven't really seen a big reason to switch to 116, but who are following the boards and testing new builds -- just not necessarily the 116 ones at this point. So keep up the good work!

Best,
-Daniel

Walter Schulz

@fdzaebel: Testers are always welcome. Try basic functions, then leave comfort zone and mistreat ML settings and menus. Do your worst!
No, that's serious advice.
Or if you see anything around making you think "well, I could have done a better job than this"  ...

Maqs

Hey everybody,

starting from g3gg0's mp3_play.mo included in the -nss (new-sound-system) version of the 6D.116 test firmware, I implemented a proof-of-concept for streaming mp3 from the web. The radio station is hard coded (rbb Fritz), as it is only a proof-of-concept. Please do not report bugs for this, it's only to show what could be done.

To try it on your 6D with firmware version 1.1.6, you need the -nss version and this module: MP3 streaming proof-of-concept (6D.116 + nss only)

You can find the source here: source (.tar.bz2).

To test it

• use the 6D.116 nss version
  • copy the .mo file to ML\modules\ on your sd card
  • enable the module, make sure mp3_play is disabled
  • restart the camera to load the module
  • enable WIFI
  • set WIFI mode to DLNA
  • connect to WIFI, make sure gateway is set properly
  • go to games tab, select MP3 Streamer, select Play

Although it is very unlikely, your camera might explode, turn into a Ferrari or other horrible things may happen, so trying this is at your own risk. You have been warned.

Have fun! :-)

Levas

I'm not switching over to firmware 1.1.6 to test this  ;)

But I just wanna how say how genius this is, streaming online radio with the build in WIFI in a DSLR  :D  8)

And it has absolutely no use, cause we al have our smartphones to do this, but that makes it even more brilliant!
Doing stuff, not because it is useful, but because it's possible  8)

olehenrikj

Tried the 116-version, and the dualiso plugin is broken of what I checked (only loaded that and ETTR).