Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpetep

when I try to download the 6d nightly build I get a webpage not found?

Frank7D

"You misunderstand me. I know how to record in crop mode. Just try all my steps, and you will see what i mean. "

I think I do understand what you're saying. I believe the answer to your question will be found in that thread.

sgofferj

Quote from: grey on March 10, 2015, 01:32:10 PM
Ofcourse, why don't?
Because IIRC it's not supposed to work, locks up and bricks the camera...? And I remember somebody writing that the 6D doesn't have a crop mode...
Are we talking about the same thing?
18+ years Linux user, wolf-fan, hobby photographer and -filmmaker
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

Walter Schulz

Quote from: sgofferj on March 10, 2015, 03:52:41 PMAnd I remember somebody writing that the 6D doesn't have a crop mode...

You may look up this info, please, and link it here.

sgofferj

Well, I tested today and it works great... Happy to have been wrong! That's gonna be great for shooting birds at the feeder!
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

grey

Quote from: Frank7D on March 10, 2015, 03:19:57 PM
"You misunderstand me. I know how to record in crop mode. Just try all my steps, and you will see what i mean. "

I think I do understand what you're saying. I believe the answer to your question will be found in that thread.

Your link led on the forum about recording in crop mode. I meant record using the full sensor. The only answer that I found was that this was done for compatibility with other cameras. Just try my steps, and you will see, what i mean. When i push Zoom button once, camera dont go in to crop mode. It's display 1X indicator and enables record in 1824x*** resolution (full sensor mode).

BTW. 70D have same resolution of sensor, and can record 1824x*** RAW video.

Quote from: sgofferj on March 10, 2015, 03:52:41 PM
Because IIRC it's not supposed to work, locks up and bricks the camera...? And I remember somebody writing that the 6D doesn't have a crop mode...
Are we talking about the same thing?

I'm talk about record RAW(MLV) video in crop mode. Not about Crop mode in H.264, like crop mode on 70D and others.

Frank7D

grey,

You may be correct that I am misunderstanding you. Here's some information that may clarify the issue.
If you are shooting with a 6D, then the full sensor is 5472 x 3648 (not 1824x***). Of course, when you are shooting video, the frame size is smaller, either because it is re-sized (normal mode) or because the sensor is being cropped (crop mode).
If you shoot raw or mlv and push the zoom button once, that puts you into (magic lantern) raw crop mode. In this mode you can shoot at higher frame sizes than in normal (non-crop) raw mode. This is because there is no down-rezzing taking place in crop mode; the sensor pixels are read one-to-one from a reduced (cropped) area. When shooting in crop mode, the actual framing will not match what you see on the LCD screen. You can use grayscale preview to see the correct framing, but if you use it while you are recording then it may cause issues such as "tearing."

If I am still misunderstanding your question, please re-state it in another way.

grey

Quote from: Frank7D on March 10, 2015, 10:28:48 PM
grey,

You may be correct that I am misunderstanding you. Here's some information that may clarify the issue.
If you are shooting with a 6D, then the full sensor is 5472 x 3648 (not 1824x***). Of course, when you are shooting video, the frame size is smaller, either because it is re-sized (normal mode) or because the sensor is being cropped (crop mode).
If you shoot raw or mlv and push the zoom button once, that puts you into (magic lantern) raw crop mode. In this mode you can shoot at higher frame sizes than in normal (non-crop) raw mode. This is because there is no down-rezzing taking place in crop mode; the sensor pixels are read one-to-one from a reduced (cropped) area. When shooting in crop mode, the actual framing will not match what you see on the LCD screen. You can use grayscale preview to see the correct framing, but if you use it while you are recording then it may cause issues such as "tearing."

If I am still misunderstanding your question, please re-state it in another way.

Do you have EOS 6D? You try to do what i'am talking about?

To use Crop mode i'm must push Zoom button TWICE, then 5X indicator appear, and i see BW preview of ~3X crop image with correct framing.

Full resolution of video buffer in normal video mode is 1824 (5472/3) by 1216 (3648/3). It's because of line /row skipping. But for some reason maximum resolution in RAW/MLV limitter to 1792x***.

I'am accidentally find this "bug", with pushing zoom button once, and now i can record at 1824x***, but framing is only default 16:9. And i'm asking why record in full resolution is disabled by default?

I'm recorded short video about this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Wot5I126c

I'm stable getting 13-14 seconds of MLV video 1824*776*24P. But it's not comfortable witout correct framing.

a1ex

Can you upload a VRAM dump for the x1 zoom mode?

Instructions here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12375.50

Please do the dump only in the x1 zoom mode, since the file names might be bogus (so if you do more dumps, I'll have trouble identifying which file is which).

edit: I think I've found the problem. Can you try this change? (it's in the latest nightly)

To double-check the skip offsets, download raw_diag.mo, select the "OB zones" option, run it in LiveView (half-shutter) and post a screenshot. Repeat the raw_diag test for every LiveView mode (1080p, 720p, 480p, 1x, 5x, 10x, photo, and whatever other modes your camera may have).

sgofferj

Is it possible to get more than 3x crop? I noticed that when I switch to 10x zoom, it still records 3x crop... The newer cameras have a lot of pixels... 1:2 or even 1:1 could be cool...
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

Walter Schulz

3x crop *is* 1:1 recording without skipped pixels inside the active/recorded area.

grey

To A1ex:

Just try latest NB. 1824*1026*24P ~6 sec stable. No issues. 1824*776*24P 13-14 sec stable.

How can i do tests with RAW_DIAG? Please, provide more instructions.

a1ex

Download the module, enable it from Debug menu, enable "OB zones" in the submenu, then go to LiveView and press the shutter halfway to take a test picture. You should get something like this:

Others did the same test in this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523

These screenshots will be saved on the card. Convert them to jpg and upload them.

grey

Link to public folder with screenshots, please notifi me when i can delete it. Screenshots in this sequence: 480P/ 480P 1X/ 480P 5X/ 480P 10X/ 720P/ 720P 1X ... and this way till 1080P 25 10X https://yadi.sk/d/330tlakTfBPdc

a1ex

ob-zo-10 and ob-zo-14.jpg are incorrect. Can you find out in what modes you took these pictures?

edit: updated raw_diag to print the video modes, so you may want to download it again.

grey

Ok. I do test again.

grey

Quote from: a1ex on March 11, 2015, 10:01:23 PM
ob-zo-10 and ob-zo-14.jpg are incorrect. Can you find out in what modes you took these pictures?

edit: updated raw_diag to print the video modes, so you may want to download it again.

I'm did test again. New results in the same public folder on yandex.disk. Several copies of 1080P files it's 24 an 25 P.

a1ex

It appears to be the x1 zoom mode (which appears to behave just like the regular LiveView).

(btw, what's the usefulness of this zoom mode? does it have anything special, compared to normal - unzoomed - LiveView mode?)

grey

In this mode, 1X, you see correct framing to next zoom mode(5x) and select what point will be zoomed. Vertical rectangle disappear, and horizontal rectangle with aspect ration 3:2 appear on display.

I'm not very strong in English, but i hope you understand what i mean.

SuperMouseDV

Question instead of a card hungry raw mode what is the possibility to shoot in 4k? @30 or @24fps. They have a large enough sensor? Or 720 @ 60 or @ 120fps? Even a 720x480 @240fps? I would love these options so would many others. Just a quick bit of curiosity.

grey

Quote from: SuperMouseDV on March 12, 2015, 09:23:20 AM
Question instead of a card hungry raw mode what is the possibility to shoot in 4k? @30 or @24fps. They have a large enough sensor? Or 720 @ 60 or @ 120fps? Even a 720x480 @240fps? I would love these options so would many others. Just a quick bit of curiosity.

Please read this page through the end. Many of you questions will go away. http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq

SuperMouseDV

Thanks grey I will.

SuperMouseDV

Great I was asking troll questions hehe

grey

SuperMouseDV

Grey sorry to have done so. I did a search on the guide and nothing about full frame mode on hdmi out. Meaning no cropped video on the monitor. I have played with output and lost the black bars on the top and bottom but the black bars on the right and left remain. Is that something I will have to live with or something ml can fix eventually? Would be nice to be able to use a ninja or Aja for backup in the field. I do like the clear displays feature..