Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTLdan

Quote from: grey on February 24, 2015, 06:06:56 PM
3. 6D has ALL I mode, use it.
Am I mistaken in thinking that All-I on the 6D was shown to have very little advantage other than bloated file size?
I had read the wonders of All-I when I first bought my camera, but somewhere along the line I came to understand IPB was actually the more sensible choice for it's overall cost/performance ratio. Maybe I was misinformed somewhere along the way...
Would love to be corrected if someone had a strong case for All-I on the 6D that I haven't heard.

Quote from: extremelypoorfilmaker on March 02, 2015, 05:53:38 PM
p.s.
The disappearing menu is a common bug, i't there to stay and we LOVE it! :D

Okay, I may be taking crazy pills, but there was a build right before A1ex took his break from ML dev (maybe in Sept?)
and I SWEAR that the menu was persistent, no longer disappearing after a few seconds. However, it is indeed back to it's usual self on my 6D after updating from the circa fall 2014 build to a January 2015 build. Am I going crazy? Do I need to try to find this old build and test for sanity, or did someone else experience this? :P

Cheers!
-Daniel

PANATEC

It was so obvious, thanks!

extremelypoorfilmaker

You are very much welcome PANATEC! Maybe, just in case, would you like to read the userguide? You can find it here: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide :D

JLL

Quick update on firmware 116 support

I have found most of the required stubs and addresses.
I have also managed to compile and start ML but I get a black screen (top display works, no LED activity).
I'm now trying to debug where it went wrong. So far, I have confirmed (through various trial and error) that the entry point is reached (copy_and_restart()) but along the way, it stumbles somewhere.

Will report more later.

SuperMouseDV

nikfreak

Quote from: JLL on March 04, 2015, 05:44:23 AM
Quick update on firmware 116 support

I have found most of the required stubs and addresses.
I have also managed to compile and start ML but I get a black screen (top display works, no LED activity).
I'm now trying to debug where it went wrong. So far, I have confirmed (through various trial and error) that the entry point is reached (copy_and_restart()) but along the way, it stumbles somewhere.

Will report more later.

@JLL:
Be sure to verify the correct stub necessary to hijack the gui task. Otherwise you may experience the symptomps you described. You can find it in boot-hack.c:

#ifdef CONFIG_6D
    //Hijack GUI Task Here - Now we're booting with cache hacks and have menu.
    cache_fake(0xFF0DF6DC, BL_INSTR(0xFF0DF6DC, (uint32_t)hijack_6d_guitask), TYPE_ICACHE);
#endif

Don't forget to check the hijack addresses in consts.h and #undefine property request changes in internals.h before you continue.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Sukram

1.1.6 would be great - keep on running  ;)

Markus.

landwomble

Sorry to be that guy - but I'm swapping my 650D (with ML) for a 6D this week.  Appreciate this is blind-maintained but am I reading it right - I can put the *normal* nightly on my new 6D and have it work? Or do I need a forked version?

SuperMouseDV

Landwomble with firmware 1.1.3 there is a version for 6D in the nightly builds

JLL

Quote from: nikfreak on March 04, 2015, 01:32:37 PM
@JLL:
Be sure to verify the correct stub necessary to hijack the gui task. Otherwise you may experience the symptomps you described. You can find it in boot-hack.c:

#ifdef CONFIG_6D
    //Hijack GUI Task Here - Now we're booting with cache hacks and have menu.
    cache_fake(0xFF0DF6DC, BL_INSTR(0xFF0DF6DC, (uint32_t)hijack_6d_guitask), TYPE_ICACHE);
#endif

Don't forget to check the hijack addresses in consts.h and #undefine property request changes in internals.h before you continue.

Thanks for the tip ! Will look into it tonight.

sirup

Hi, does anybody know how to avoid this error message: "Early stop (11) Didn't make it to estimated record time!" after 3 seconds of recording?

I know that someone has already asked about the same question, however no feedback and I also was not sucessfull...

Thanks

Audionut

Reduce resolution.

sirup

Thanks, which RS do you recommend? I would like to maintain the best quality as much as I can.

I used 1792 and issue still persists...:(

Walter Schulz

720p25 will do. SD-card interface is limited to about 40 MByte/s.
Look at the number ML is giving you at the bottom.

sirup

Thanks, results of 720p doesn't look nice to me. I thought that I will be able to record 4K RAW video - is this achievable somehow?

As you mentioned - it is because of slow SD card? I have class 10.

Walter Schulz

Class 10 says the card is able to do 10 MByte/s writing.
Run Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min). Press play button soon after starting benchmark to switch to "Playback mode".

Bandwidth needed for DCI 4k native resolution) RAW uncompressed:
Horizontal resolution x vertical resolution x frame rate x 14 / 8 = Byte/s
4096 x 2160 x 25 x 14 / 8 = 387 072 000 -> 369.14 MByte/s

And 40 MByte/s is 6D's SD-card interface's limit. No matter which card you will insert.

Please do some reading about 4k recording requirements.

sirup

understand - so there is no option to do this on 6D. 5DIII has a CF card as well, so I believe that it will be possible. Right?

I have red the whole treat, however still have some missleadings - so apologies for stupid questions.

SuperMouseDV

Sirup the only stupid questions are the ones not asked.

Walter Schulz

CF-Card specs for UDMA-7: Up to to 167 MByte/s.
5D3 will max out somewhere below 125 MByte/s.

Please make yourself familiar with those bandwidth issues. You need equipment with serious performance for 4k RAW recording.

sirup

I ma trying to identify how can I get maximum from my 6D - now it seems that neither 5DIII is able to record 4K (or I am not sure what do you mean by "equipment").

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

I am quite excited, because I have noticed, than my motorola moto X2 records 4K video, then I tried to make some deeper look into my 6D and ML to find out all possibilites - now it seems that limitations are on place as usual :)

Correct me if I am wrong - thanks

Walter Schulz

4k is not a problem.
RAW is not a problem.
24/30 fps is not a problem.
Put those terms together and you opened a can of worms.

pryanic

I tried to install few previos version, but there is no video bitrate setup. And in audio setup I can choose only sample rate, I haven't gain and input type settings.

sirup

"4k is not a problem.
RAW is not a problem.
24/30 fps is not a problem.
Put those terms together and you opened a can of worms."

Sorry - don't understand...

sgofferj

Motion detection only seems to work by exposure. When I choose "difference", the detection box in LV is black and ML never detects any motion.

Besides, how important is the temperature? I had my 6D on a tripod aiming at the bird feeder with motion detection on and after about an hour, ML showed 60°C temp on a red background. I shut the camera down - just to be on the safe side... Any idea what kind of temperature the 6D can tolerate for how long?
18+ years Linux user, wolf-fan, hobby photographer and -filmmaker
EOS 6D, EOS 7D