Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duarted

@ KelvinK I managed to downgrade it to 1.1.3 and install ML! Thanks for the help!

By the way is it possible to shoot 60 or 50 FPS at 1080p? I was trying to use the FPS override but not sure how it works

Thanks all!

Walter Schulz

1080p50 continuous needs about 173 MByte/s. 6D is capable doing about 41 MByte/s write speed. You see the numbers don't match at all. A few seconds and frames will get lost.

KelvinK

@duarted you can get around 12-14 seconds with 48fps and 2:35 aspect ratio, so it will be average 20-24 seconds playtime, more then enough for most cases. but the main problem is terrific aliasing after upscaling to 1080p with any non closeup scene.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Levas

No in 1080p you can not get 50 or 60 fps with fps override.
So for 48/50/60fps you need to go to the 720p mode in Canon video menu.

There are some older builds of magic lantern for 6d with support 35fps with fps override in 1080p mode
The build of 15-03-2014 is capable of doing 35fps.

babarasghar

so any improvement in silent pic? do we get true raw pictures in silent picture timelapse mode?

duarted

Oh okay. I don't understand how come I can shoot 60 and 120fps with my GoPro and Sony compact camera RX-100II but I can't do it with a 2000$US Canon =/

By the way is there a reason why the ML menu always disappears? Will it be fixed?

Thanks again for everybody's help and to everybody that made ML possible! :)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: duarted on February 06, 2015, 07:06:57 PM
Oh okay. I don't understand how come I can shoot 60 and 120fps with my GoPro and Sony compact camera RX-100II but I can't do it with a 2000$US Canon =/

I don't understand why I can drive 200+ km/h with my 6000€ bike but that 900,000€ mobile home can't. Preposterous! And don't get me started on fuel consumption. Or finding parking lots.

duarted

I know the cameras have different purposes but I think it should be a priority for Canon to include 60fps at 1080p on their cameras and they're still not doing it.

dmilligan

I know the vehicles have different purposes but I think it should be a priority for those 900,000€ mobile home manufacturers to include faster engines and they're still not doing it.

I always get stuck behind those darn things.

Levas

You're asking yourself why a piece of sillicon chip of 25 square mm can be read out faster than a piece of sillicon chip 329 square mm ?

The video chip in the canon camera's is 10 times larger. Plus their designed to take still frames.
The gopro sensors are 10 times smaller then Canon APS-C chip's and designed to take video.

Why do you think we have still dedicated photo cameras and video cameras. It's not marketing or software blokking, it's the hardware that's designed for the right purpose.

JLL

I started on the 6D.116 stubs and consts. I have marked the addresses I checked and confirmed as comments (JL:CHECKED) so I can keep track of what I went over but will remove them later on.

Progress here

duarted

Then how come the Nikon D750 shoots 1080p at 60fps?

Walter Schulz

Because it was designed to do it.

duarted

So if it's possible why doesn't Canon do it? What could be the advantage of not including that in their new cameras?

Anyway this is a discussion for another thread...

dmilligan

Because to do it you need to put more transistors in your electronics, which costs more money, eating into your profits on a device that is mainly marketed and sold to still photographers who could care less about advanced video features.

babarasghar

have tested Nightly Build 29 Jan 2015 build
only tried Dual ISO n ETTR picture mode n it works like a charm
no issues at all no crashes or something
will update if i had success with raw video too
way to go guys keep this place active and alive

gpcrown

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum but not ML. I've used it on a 7D in the past and just upgraded to a 6D.  Running 2015Jan29.6D113 and everything seems to be going great so far.  Tested raw video at 1728x724 for 21 seconds before frames started to skip.  Pretty happy with it so far  :D

JanKocbek

Hey, guys. I am upgrading from the old (August) to the new (29th of Jan) Build. When i go to 'Firmware version' to uninstall, it says 1.1.3, and 'Memory card containing firmware is required to update'.

Magic Lantern is fine on the card and i use it frequently :) 

At one time, I formated the card before it could load the little Keep ML module (Q). So ML was gone. I installed it again. I'm not sure it happened like that, but ML files were gone, so this is the only explanation for it ... ??

Now i'm wondering if just formatting the card from the camera and hitting Q is a proper way to uninstall Magic Lantern. How would this affect the bootlflag, and that scary stuff. Thank you :)

dmilligan

All you have to do to install a newer version of ML is simply replace the ML files on the card with the new ones.

KelvinK

Quote from: JLL on February 07, 2015, 06:12:37 AM
I started on the 6D.116 stubs and consts. I have marked the addresses I checked and confirmed as comments (JL:CHECKED) so I can keep track of what I went over but will remove them later on.

Progress here

If you will do it with success, can we expect you will go further and try to fix bugs we have on 6D build?
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

JLL

Quote from: KelvinK on February 09, 2015, 02:49:43 PM
If you will do it with success, can we expect you will go further and try to fix bugs we have on 6D build?

That's the intent yes (will be highly dependent on my free time though)

KelvinK

Quote from: JLL on February 10, 2015, 02:55:23 AM
That's the intent yes (will be highly dependent on my free time though)

Great! Let's know :)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

metallissimus

Quote from: KelvinK
some regular options were removed, like choosing bitrate for h.264
Is there some technical reason for this, or would it be possible to bring this feature back?
I really wanted to try this out and don't know how to find a build that still has it.

Levas

h.264 with bitrate control on 6d...probably available in the very old version.

Here's the oldest I could find, 22 august 2013 for 6d!
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/6D.113/1/

If you use this link, you can see in the left of the window all builds (click on show more, for the very old builds)
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/6D.113/

But since the 6d has the ALL-I 90Mbit recording option available, I doubt if bitrate control could add some more detail  :-\

KelvinK

Quote from: Levas on February 12, 2015, 12:37:32 PM
h.264 with bitrate control on 6d...probably available in the very old version.

Here's the oldest I could find, 22 august 2013 for 6d!
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/6D.113/1/

If you use this link, you can see in the left of the window all builds (click on show more, for the very old builds)
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/6D.113/

But since the 6d has the ALL-I 90Mbit recording option available, I doubt if bitrate control could add some more detail  :-\

You could record with 120MB/s, could give you some more freedom when grading, not detail wise.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!