Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

Keep pressing buttons while in ML menu  :P
This way it stays open forever  8)

grey

I use autofocus то precise focus when i shoot in bright light and manual focus is difficult. With fast lenses and lot of light AF works good. When i shoot MLV, first take is good, AF works, magiczoom also works good, but after record ends i tried to focus and nothing. No reaction on buttons AFON or shutter half press.

zloe

Somebody out there who wants to have the 6d with latest firmware 1.1.6 to be supported by ML?
If so I would start working on finding the entry points. All I need is a volunteer to dump the rom.

-Klaus
EOS 6D, EOS 650D both with ML, EOS 80D (no ML, ... yet)

grey

Difference of these 2 FW versions is so big?

Windowsfreak

I own a 6D. Is dumping the ROM hard, while there is no fitting ML available yet?

extremelypoorfilmaker

I have a 6D.. but i don't know how to "dump the rom" and also, there is a risk of losing the camera by "dumping the rom"? Please, have mercy! I know nothing about coding.. I am a mere humble user of this holy garil called Magic Lantern :)

jhonm

Quote from: zloe on February 01, 2015, 03:15:06 PM
All I need is a volunteer to dump the rom.

Hi, 6d user here with firmware version 1.1.6, that is also willing to volunteer to "dump the rom"

I did a quick google search but couldn't find out any information on how to do it.

Can you post a link on how to dump the rom?

Thanks

KelvinK

Quote from: grey on January 27, 2015, 01:19:15 PM
Hello. I noticed that after shooting in MLV stops working autofocus. What is the reason?

You've to turn off extra hacks.

@ Walter Schulz That's one of the issues never fixed :)
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

grey

Quote from: KelvinK on February 03, 2015, 02:05:41 PM
You've to turn off extra hacks.

@ Walter Schulz That's one of the issues never fixed :)

Thank you for answer.

duarted

Hello

I have a Canon 6D with the firmware 1.1.4 and I'm wondering if it's safe to install the ML on the Canon 6D and which file should I install?

I read that one guy installed the ML on his 6D and now he cannot record any audio... =/

I had a canon 600D before and used ML and never had any problems. I really miss it!

Thanks!

KelvinK

@ duarted If you manage to downgrade your camera to 1.1.3 you can install ML. Sound issues has nothing to do with ML, the guy probably messed with some options. Happen often.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

JLL

I'm currently learning about ML with my 6D.
I can compile and do my modifications just fine and now, moving on to trying to dump the 1.1.6 firmware.

From what I've gathered so far, making a FIR file is not possible since source is not provided for the tools (according to this thread - unless this info is outdated)
Another thread mentions this same process for the 5D and firmware 1.2.3 here. Someone managed to do it with help from a1ex but no one is reporting how they did it.

And then there's the installer.c source file that can be used to generate an autoexec.bin (and thus, allow us to dump the firmware - but looks like we still need to have a FIR file made for 1.1.6, otherwise the 6D won't boot the autoexec.bin we just made)
I also tried using the special updater that coutts is mentioning at the top post but it didn't seem to work (and likely won't, since it was made for 1.1.2 ?)

Anyway, in order to compile installer.c and have it running, it looks like there are a few function stubs (the ones for firmware 1.1.6) we need to find first. Those are (according to stubs.S):
- cstart
- bzero32
- create_init_task
- init_task
and likely, most file IO functions so ML can dump the firmware on the SD card.

There are also a few defines (in config-defines.h) that seem relevant (CONFIG_DUMPER_BOOTFLAG and CONFIG_EARLY_PORT) but they are only used inside boot-hack.c (and not installer.c)

I will continue digging and report what I find later.

EDIT: Also a relevant link on the wiki about packing FIR files (might not be up-to-date)
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Packing_FIR_Files

a1ex

Here's the dumper for 6D, any firmware version, instructions here.

dumper-6D-qemu.fir

To see what other things you need to change, besides stubs, you can take a look here:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/605/support-for-5d3-firmware-133/diff

JLL

Thanks a1ex !
I can't believe I missed that thread/post after all the search I've done :/
This should speed things up.

duarted

@KelvinK thanks for the tip!

I got the 1.1.3 firmware on my computer and I'll try to downgrade it soon. I'll just follow the regular procedure as if I was upgrading it to a new firmware correct? (just a little worried that it might mess up the camera)

Then the ML file will be the magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jan29.6D113.zip ?

It's this version stable?

Thanks again!

javapop

I have used ML off and on since getting a 6D last summer. I have been using PNY 90MB/s 64GB cards for shooting regular 1080 footage with no problems over the past year. I have mainly used ML for the enhancements to audio and overlays.

I tried shooting RAW a few weeks back, and found I was getting what appears to be buffer errors. The recording stops after just a few seconds.

Is there a list of confirmed cards that handle RAW and the highest setting you can shoot RAW at on the 6D

Thanks!

kuga0509

Quote from: javapop on February 05, 2015, 02:01:04 AM
I have used ML off and on since getting a 6D last summer. I have been using PNY 90MB/s 64GB cards for shooting regular 1080 footage with no problems over the past year. I have mainly used ML for the enhancements to audio and overlays.

I tried shooting RAW a few weeks back, and found I was getting what appears to be buffer errors. The recording stops after just a few seconds.

Is there a list of confirmed cards that handle RAW and the highest setting you can shoot RAW at on the 6D

Thanks!

For the last several weeks I've been scouring the forums looking for anything I could find on the 6D raw capabilities.  I decided to go ahead and join the board today so I could help contribute since I have just added a 6D to my gear bag.  So to answer your question, it looks like the bus speed of the SD slot is the limiting factor.  It looks like most people are only achieving about 40MB/s regardless of video format. 

However, what I am most interested in is the post where a person is looking into changing the bus configuration to the fastest UHS-I standard.  This could mean that the 6D may one day be capable of up to 104MB/s.  According to the standards for UHS-I, the hardware supports this speed if the software controller tells it to go that fast.  Right now, it is limited to 50MB/s theoretical performance. 

So, at most, 104MB/s is the fastest that will ever be achieved and likely the 90MB/s cards will be able to handle the fastest real-world speeds possible if someone ever figures out how to open up the fast lane of the SD bus.  Hope that helps you decide on a card, javapoop! :P

extremelypoorfilmaker

A litle off-topic. i just found it funny :) i am the culprit who now moved it up to 667 :D

More on the topic:

Once i tried to do some filming at 60 fps MLV using a samyang 85mm T1.5 (all manual lens) But instead, it recorded at 30 fps, even thought I selected the 60 fps option from the canon menu (as that is the way to record 60 fps). Switched the lens with my canon 24-105mm L (with the camera on) and it was able to record 60 fps, but not with the all manual lens on. Rebooted the camera, the problem disappeared. Has anyone experienced something similar before? thanks.

By the way, i tried to record RAW and MLV, changing different resolution settings, going from the maximum resolution to the continuos resolution settings, still even thought with all the correct settings it should have recorded 60 fps, it just stopped at 30fps.

KelvinK

@ duarted Yep, follow it.
I don't think we can call it  as "stable" version for 6D. But it works with bugs and flaws and I pay alot of respect to developers make it happen as it is:) Just get used to vanishing ML menu, you've to press "trashcan" to pop it up. Also at latest, I believe half year or more, versions some regular options were removed, like choosing bitrate for h.264. I missed the point when and why it happen, but since I don't shoot with h.264 anymore never researched it/
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

@ javapop you card should able to write (not read!) 41MB/s - this is max. speed 6D can write on card. Play with aspect ratios to find longer time recordings. You should able archive at least 10 seconds with 2:20 ratio and 1792 resolution.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

@ extremelypoorfilmake to record at 60 fps, you've to change canon resolution to 720p/60 and then choose desired fps in FPS OVERRIDE option.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

extremelypoorfilmaker

Quote from: KelvinK on February 05, 2015, 12:16:49 PM
@ extremelypoorfilmake to record at 60 fps, you've to change canon resolution to 720p/60 and then choose desired fps in FPS OVERRIDE option.

I know that. i even wrote that in my post if you will look back :), not the FPS override option, but it recorded at 60 fps before without having to fiddle with the fps override. I just wanted to know if anybody has experienced something similar that happened to me: The 6D NOT being able to record at 60fps with a full manual lens (no communication with the camera at all) :) that's all

KelvinK

@ extremelypoorfilmake Lens type has nothing to do with FPS.  I've MF Nikon lenses and FPS works same as with Canon's AF lenses.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

JLL

I managed to dump the 116 ROM and started on hunting down the stubs.

For obvious reasons, I can't share the rom here however, if any of you would like to try it, here's what I did:

• download the file from a1ex's post
  • since we're working on 1.1.6 firmware, make sure your camera is up to date
  • copy the FIR file at the root of your SD card and start the camera
  • take a picture with your camera, make sure the image is viewable with the camera viewer
  • enter the camera menu -> firmware ver : 1.1.6 ->update firmware
  • the camera will reboot, display the firmware update screen briefly and reboot again
  • once the sensor cleaning is done, enter the camera image viewer, the screen will remain black for a few seconds while the SD card led indicator will start blinking, this means that the ROM is being dumped on the SD Card
  • there now should be a file called (NULL) at the root of your SD card, size is 32MB
  • in order to split the file in two so you can start working according to this thread, you can use the following term command (unix environment)
split -b16m <input_file> <output_file_pattern>

• this should split the 32MB file in two 16MB files "<output_file_pattern>aa" and "<output_file_pattern>ab", you can rename them ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN respectively

extremelypoorfilmaker

@ kelvin K

I know that lens have nothing to do with fps. I am just reporting what happened to me. I don't have any reason to lie or being stubborn about it. It seemed odd to me as well that i could record at 60 fps with the canon 24-105 but not with the samyang 85, because that happened to me, i just wanted to see if it was an isolated case or not. Now it seems to me that it was an isolated case!