Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijoelpod

I updated to 1.1.4 and my 6D won't turn on. I've looked for 1.1.3 and can't find the download for Mac anywhere. Any suggestions?

Audionut

Increase your google search skills  :)

@ad My English version also contains 2 Asian languages.

ijoelpod

It gives a Error 404 page when I click to begin download

a1ex

When all else fails, read the first post ;)

abergon

For all the newcomers who read this forum and hesitate, I would like to give feedback on my very recent experience of installing Magic Lantern on my 6D. In a nutshell: fear not, it works. The beauty of it, which I did not expect, is that it is not destructive. Canon firmware is still there for you to use if you wish to.

I simply followed instructions and steps I took were:
1) downgrade to firmware version 1.1.3 (zero visible difference with 1.1.4)
2) Not sure if the 32GB size limit for the SD card still applies but for the sake of it, I used a 32GB SD card for first install of the latest night build (08 October). The install guide is easy to find on this website so do your homework first.
3) If you usually use a larger SD card, as I do, repeat the steps for the card preparation (I just followed the install guide even though it refers to the outdated stable build).
4) Insert card, restart camera, press the trash can button.
5) Enjoy.

There are tons of new features and things to try, so go ahead. And don't forget you can set the GPS to switch off automatically when you switch off the camera.

YMMV, I am not liable for camera bricking, kittens killing and any  other unfortunate event, but this is how it went for me.

Levas

"2) Not sure if the 32GB size limit for the SD card still applies but for the sake of it, I used a 32GB SD card for first install of the latest night build (08 October)."

I can confirm that 64GB card size can be used with firmware 1.1.3 and magic lantern nightly builds, I'm using one for over a year now in the 6d  :)

bobhoranjr

Just got my 6D and cannot for the life of me successfully downgrade from 1.1.4 to 1.1.3. I've tried downgrading from the SD card as well as going through EOS Utility and neither seem to be working for me. When I try to use the process via the SD card the screen just goes black and I get the red blinking light over and over. When I use EOS Utility I instantly get a "connect was lost" notification.

What am I doing wrong!?!?!

nikfreak

downgrading via sd card must work. Try another card
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

bobhoranjr

You're brilliant nikfreak. Ended up working on a 32gb sdhc card. Wasn't working on the 64gb sdxc for some reason.

Thanks so much!

Luca Libralato

I follow this project since 2012, and only tried for few days ML on a Canon EOS 7D, because unfortunately my camera wasn't fully supported at that time.

I finally decided to install ML on my Canon EOS 6D... and I really have to say that I wasted a lot of time without having it installed.

Thank you very much for the great job... I love ML.

Luca

paisleybrew

Hi guys

I have a what I feel is going to be a rookie problem, let me explain.

I had ML installed on my 6D for a while, worked perfectly and the results were great form RAW. I used a 64GB SanDisk Extreme card. I recently did a shoot on a C100, and I used my memory card, I formatted it in my computer to make sure there were no magic lantern files on the card, then did the shoot with no problems. After that, I formatted the card on my computer again, and put it in my 6D only to have it not turn on. I took the memory card out and tried a different battery, and the camera turned on. After breathing a sigh of relief I formatted the card in camera, then put the ML files back on, and tried to make the card bootable to which I get an error saying it has failed.

Does anyone know a fix for this? I have updated to OSX Yosemite which I feel may be a contributor to the problem.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers

Audionut

QuoteInstallation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

paisleybrew

Thanks Audionut.

I was running 1.1.3, but seems I forgot to actually put the 1.1.3 file on the card to reinstall ML, derp. Thanks for your help!

hero000

Hi there,

I really appreciate the work and contribution of those who are taking part in this forum.
I've just installed installed Magic Lantern on my 6D. When I record video. It stops after 4.0 seconds automatically. I've set the movie resolution to 1280x720. if I put in full HD it records for 7 seconds. Am I missing any steps or setting that I need to change.

Thanks

EDIT: Never Mind I found the solution I had to change based on my card speed.

michaelriversk

Hi all :)
Thank you for all the support and effort that is being provided here.
I've recently started using Magic Lantern on my 6D and my video stops recording after 4 seconds every time.
There's a blue bar - which fills up from left to right - on the lower portion of my screen. The video stops recording when this bar fills up.
I've tried changing the resolution and am on a Sandisk Extreme class 10 SD card (tried changing to other class 10, fast SD cards) but this doesnt seem to many any difference.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated :)

jackmoro

Format crard in camera, make in camera card speed check (ML) and check values.
Check your FPS, it's probably over 24p.

redlyon

Hello everyone, I have installed Magic Lantern on my 6D and I want to make video recordings of 2-3 hours using the HDMI output and my avermedia game capture 2. The problem I am having is that after a few minutes the mirror closes. What can I do to keep open the mirror and do not affect the recording?

Thanks!

Repetitor

Could someone update the googledocs file on RAW capabilities of 6D on this thread:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

Can't find anywhere info on how long clips it can record and in what resolution.

Levas

I can't update it, doesn't work...
But the raw capabilities depend on the writing speed of the SD card unit in the camera. (for the 6d about 40MB/s max, also on the spreadsheet)
The 650d also has a SD card unit that can write about 40MB/s max and shows resolution numbers for continuous recording, same goes for the 6d.
So continuous is 1280 x 720 x 24/25 fps
The 6d has a memory buffer of 250MB.
I often shoot in 2:39 aspect ratio instead of 16:9.
This way I can shoot 17 seconds of video in 1728 x 724 x 25fps (upscaling it in post to 1920 x 800 resolution)
Or 14 seconds of 1792 x 750 x 25fps (upscaling it in post to 1920 x 800 resolution)

rainless

Levas: Why doesn't it work?  Can Alex update it for you?

Anyway I'm getting bored with my 600D. I can get a 6D or a 5D MK II either one for about 900 bucks.

I'm leaning towards a 6D because I shoot a LOT in low light and I could do more with the higher ISOs. What's giving me pause is the lack of a CF slot and the 40mb limit.

So according to your chart Levas the 6D can basically handle just above 720p for continuous shooting... but even with the 5D2 you can't really get 1080p unless you're in crop mode. So should I just ignore the whole Compact Flash thing and go for the 6D? Or is there another reason I would want to get the 5D2?
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

Levas

Depends on the type of video you are planning to shoot with it.

I use it to record short clips of my kids and on a day out with the family, that type of stuff.
For this it works really good, and I can easily switch to photo mode (so I only have to carry one device for photo and video)
I often use 1728 x 724 x 25fps which gives 17 seconds of recording time per clip (after that it needs to write the full buffer (250mb) to the SD card, which also takes about 6 seconds writing time (250mb/40mb/s=6 seconds).
So you got a blackout period of 6 seconds after each clip because of writing down the buffer to the memory card.
Continuous recording resolution on the 6D is 1280 x 720 x 24/25fps. which still is not bad, but once you are used to the higher resolutions, 1280 x 720 sucks... :P

If you are planning to shoot commercials, weddings, short films etc.
You should definately go for the 5d MK II, only because of the compact flash, which gives you better continuous recording resolution.
Although the 5d can not handle exFat formatted cards, I don't know how it behaves after the 4GB file limit while recording (does it write a second video file without missing a single frame ??)

EDIT: If you're also going to use it a lot for photography, then go for the 6d. (Newer sensor, less read noise, no pattern noise, better dynamic range etc.)

redlyon

QuoteHello everyone, I have installed Magic Lantern on my 6D and I want to make video recordings of 2-3 hours using the HDMI output and my avermedia game capture 2. The problem I am having is that after a few minutes the mirror closes. What can I do to keep open the mirror and do not affect the recording?

Thanks!

Anyone?
Thanks.

DahlPictures

How do I get rid of the ML black bar overlay that cuts off my frame when viewing on an external monitor?

Canon 6D with Rokinon 24mm T1.5. HDMI to Small HD AC7 monitor. Running "magiclantern-Nightly.2014Oct08.6D113.zip"
(Same result with Canon 50mm F1.8 )
Canon Settings:
1920x1080 30fps (IPB)

ML Settings:
Expo. Override: ON
Magic Zoom: Zrec, FullScreen
   Trigger mode: Zoom.REC
   Size: Fullscreen
   Position: Focus box
   Magnification: 3:1
Movie Tweaks
   Movie Restart: ON
   Force Liveview: Start & CPUlens
Clear Overlays: HalfShutter
Lens info Prefs
   Focus Distance Units: ft/in
   Speed: Normal (Off
Screen Layout 3:2 display,t/b (doesn't matter what this is set to, it's always there)

andrewfox

I have been lurking on this thread for a very long time now ;) I just wanted to thank everybody that has contributed to make ML possible on the 6D!

I have just finished shooting a music video with it and everything has worked brilliantly! If you are interested, I posted it here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13759.0

rainless

You should always post the specs for the video you shoot. At least what kind of camera, lens, and what kind of raw.
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models