Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidneywish

Thanks, not my fault actually I didn't want to uninstall, I just switched cards without realising the other one didn't have ML on it.  :o

PhilMW

If your second card is clear of ML, your camera should boot up with the normal canon functions. I'm not sure why it's not for you. I still have a July build, so I'm I'm not sure what could be going on in the latest builds. Did you try re-installing ML?
Currently using: Canon 6D nightly build

Walter Schulz

Quotenot my fault

Neither Windows nor OS X will create a bootable card by itself. You have to do it with a program (EOSboot for example) or it is done inside the cam by the ML installation routine.
So it has to be your fault.

Wait, there is another option: Do you believe in leprechauns, ghosts, demons from hell?

substr

QuoteSo, or somewhere on the road, after march 15 of this year, this options is damaged or it is just your 30July build...
Maybe try a newer nightly build of August and see what happens ?

QuoteThere are two July.30 builds:
builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/6D.113
If you look at build #256 you will see 5th change: Fixed ML restoring after format, after FIO changes

You are both correct. Apparently I got lucky getting the July.30 build that broke ML restore and didn't notice it since I downloaded (..and until I formatted my cards). Thanks for your input, Levas, Walter. :)

Sidneywish

QuoteIf your second card is clear of ML, your camera should boot up with the normal canon functions. I'm not sure why it's not for you. I still have a July build, so I'm I'm not sure what could be going on in the latest builds. Did you try re-installing ML?

That's what I think. Previously I switched cards, the one with ML and the one without, and had no problem booting the camera. But somehow with the august builds, you need to have ML on your card or the camera won't boot.

I was lending the camera to a friend so I did switch the card and put the lighter card on it, and was surprised I had no response from the camera. I think I already switched cards before, without any problem booting the camera without ML.

I installed ML on several friends 5DIII with SD cards for a shoot, and removed my SD cards with ML from theirs after, and they had no problem using their cameras after, even if ML was not on any card they used, neither SD or CF.

ajn0

Quote from: Sidneywish on August 29, 2014, 01:54:07 AM
But somehow with the august builds, you need to have ML on your card or the camera won't boot. ...
I was lending the camera to a friend so I did switch the card and put the lighter card on it, and was surprised I had no response from the camera.

I have the ML nightly from August 20th on my 6D card. I just switched to another card which has never touched my 6D and the camera starts normally with it (without any traces of ML of course).

Just to troubleshoot this: have you formatted the lighter card using a PC?

Walter Schulz

Some technical background ...
3 things are needed to startup ML
- Camera with bootflag set
- Bootable card
- ML files on card
If any of this conditions is missing ML won't start.

(For the moment let's forget what's happening if SET is pressed during startup, okay?)
A cam with bootflag will look for a bootable card. If the card is not bootable, ML won't start and cam will operate pretty much like designed by Canon.
If however the card is bootable the camera will try to locate and load AUTOEXEC.BIN.
If Autoexec.bin is missing on a bootable card the cam will get stuck during startup.

And because there is no way for a card to become bootable by itself and because deleting Autoexec.bin and ML dir from a card *without* disabling boot option is *the* most common error which will cause stuck cams I simply don't believe that this card was clean.

And this one
QuoteBut somehow with the august builds, you need to have ML on your card or the camera won't boot.
is utter nonsense.

hyp

hello
because i need to send my 6d camera to warranty  [some buttons problems] i need to uninstall the magic lantern
how i do that? i saw some videos on youtube..for other models..and shows me that to update firmware..and the magic lantern menu will apear where i cand disable the boot and after that format card
but of i update firmware..nothing happens..that menu doesn't appear
i know if i use other card magic lantern will be disabled..but i want to have also a clean firmware...to me naufacturely product :)
can you help me please ?

Levas

Rumor says you can find this information in the first post in this thread.

So go on, click on to page one of this thread  ;)

hyp

rumors says..run firmware update..and appears that menu.
i said in last post..i did that..after i make firmaware update..that ml instal menu doesn't appear
press update..show me 1.1.3 to update..select the camera ver 1.1.3...after that appears: "current firmware version is 1.1.3 update firmware" ..press ok...another windows with firmware update program where i have to select formware version and 6D000113.FIR is there ..press ok... and...nothing happens
it's just like i made a restart

Walter Schulz

Sorry, you did it wrong! The file you mentioned is Canon's firmware file and if you followed the installation procedure this file won't be there at all.

hyp

so wht should i do...what should i put on the camera? what you recomand
thank you very much
this is what i have on the card now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy3qfp9d5vaxh6f/Screenshot%202014-08-29%2018.59.56.png?dl=0

Walter Schulz

You might want to read the first post in this thread as adviced earlier.

hyp

thanks
i reinstalled magic lantern on other card.. with that process from first page and succed to uninstall it
have a wonnderful day!

Sidneywish

Walter it's not nonsense. Something is wrong with the august builds. First time it happened to me. I will try desinstalling ML and reinstall again and see if the same thing happens.

It's not about ML not starting, it's about when I switched cards, and used one without ML, the camera didn't respond. It's ML problem based, nothing to do with Canon.

Audionut

Go and make sure you have formatted the card correctly, before passing blame.

Walter Schulz

QuoteWalter it's not nonsense.

Willing to bet?
If you are using Windows: Download EOScard 1.40, insert card into reader and look for yourself.
This is what EOScard shows when a non-bootable card is read.

If you're using OS X: I hope the community here will come up with a method to tell bootable and non-bootable cards.

Sidneywish

Yes OSX.

I'm wondering if the problem with the second card (obviously there never was a problem with main card) didn't come that it was used previously in a 5DIII as an ML card.

It could be the reason.

carlfino

Weird problem... I cannot change the default (Canon) menu.  Without ML, the default menu that shows on the display when pressing the Canon Menu button was the last menu item accessed.  However, with ML, I cannot find a way to change the default menu (the specific tab for Canon's menu).  The same Canon menu shows up on the display whenever I press the Canon Menu button.

Anyone know of a fix or a way to set or change the default menu?
Thanks in advance,
Carl...

carlfino

Quote from: carlfino on September 05, 2014, 06:18:45 AM
Weird problem... I cannot change the default (Canon) menu.  Without ML, the default menu that shows on the display when pressing the Canon Menu button was the last menu item accessed.  However, with ML, I cannot find a way to change the default menu (the specific tab for Canon's menu).  The same Canon menu shows up on the display whenever I press the Canon Menu button.

Anyone know of a fix or a way to set or change the default menu?
Thanks in advance,
Carl...

forgot to mention - this is on a 6D

Semiconductor

So could anyone please tell me about the next Canon 6D-nightly or how the status is? Any known release date or release intervall? Been almost 3 months :)

thx

ayshih

The most recent nightly build for the 6D is merely a week old (magiclantern-Nightly.2014Sep01.6D113.zip).  You've previously made a similarly perplexing post, which suggests you are mistaken about where to download nightly builds.  As always, you should go here: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

Levas

"Any known release date or release interval?"

It only gets updated if something in the code is changed/improved. So a release date can't be predicted.
Just keep an eye on the nightly builds download page  ;D

Audionut

When image reviewing an dual_iso image on the 5D3, it was a simple interlaced preview.  On the 6D, it seems to be switching between some dark/bright preview, but not actually changing the brightness of the image, simply shifting the image pixels.

I've been through the ML menus a few times now, am I missing something simple, or is this something specific to the 6D?

a1ex

Looks like Canon's preview, even when zoomed out, is interlaced (which confuses the algorithm, so it thinks you are in zoom mode).

How does the preview look like, for the same image, if you turn off dual iso? (image captured with dual iso, but previewed without it)