Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidneywish

QuoteWithin the MLV menu, where you can set resolutions etc. you have to set "global draw" to allow.

Thank you that's the additional setting which eluded me. I suppose it works the same for 5DIII.

lazy_liv

Hi. I'd like to try out magic lantern on my 6d. I currently have firmware version 1.1.4 and my questions are:

What do i need to download from magic lantern ? The nightly build for canon 6d ?
From what i've seen on youtube i need to have version 1.1.2 and 1.1.3. How can i get those firmwares ?
Is there a recommended documentation i can follow while installing the firmware ?
What is the procedure to entirely and safely remove magic lantern from everywhere ?
I've read about a warning that you should not remove the card right after you open the card door but instead wait for the led to turn off. What happens if you accidentally do remove the card before the led turns off ?

Thanks !

substr

Quote from: lazy_liv on July 19, 2014, 01:33:57 PM
Hi. I'd like to try out magic lantern on my 6d. I currently have firmware version 1.1.4 and my questions are:

What do i need to download from magic lantern ? The nightly build for canon 6d ?
From what i've seen on youtube i need to have version 1.1.2 and 1.1.3. How can i get those firmwares ?
Is there a recommended documentation i can follow while installing the firmware ?
What is the procedure to entirely and safely remove magic lantern from everywhere ?
I've read about a warning that you should not remove the card right after you open the card door but instead wait for the led to turn off. What happens if you accidentally do remove the card before the led turns off ?

Thanks !

Read the first page of this thread and also there is a User Guide link at the top right of the forum. All the things you need are all in there.

Levas

The instructions on the first page, says nothing about running firmware 1.1.2 and setting the boot flag to be able to load ML from the card  ???

substr

Quote from: kbeecher on July 19, 2014, 05:06:52 AM
Is there a list of 100 percent working features for the 6D out there?
100% working features is not (yet) guaranteed but you can always check this feature comparison matrix and see what's available for 6D.

kbeecher

Quote100% working features is not (yet) guaranteed but you can always check this feature comparison matrix and see what's available for 6D.

So if you load one of these modules that are not 100% will it just not load and you can continue using? after possibly popping batt out of course.

Levas

Using magic lantern for 6d since oktober 2013.
The worst I saw happen is that it "freezes", popping out the battery was enough to start over again.

kbeecher

QuoteUsing magic lantern for 6d since oktober 2013.
The worst I saw happen is that it "freezes", popping out the battery was enough to start over again.

Thank you Levas! You have been very helpful!! Ok, Next question. About install stuff. You mentioned you need 1.1.2 to set bootflag (not even sure what bootflag is...)? or can you just have 1.1.3 on then install like the normal stable builds?

Also are there any tricks I need to know? like dont insert a blank card with out ml on it, or dont pop the memory card out too fast before blinking lights?

Thanks again for all your help!

Walter Schulz

Read first post of this thread again, please.

kbeecher

Yeah, I got that. Just wanting to double and triple check everything, since it was blindly maintained for the 6d for quite some time.

Just trying to be smart and not end up like a lot of people out there who see RAW or other enticing things and jump on board and forget a step.

Walter Schulz

kbeecher

And... Im probably going to still research people who have screwed up their cameras for awhile, and see what they did wrong as to not make the same mistakes.

Measure 3 times, cut once.

Levas

Probably you don't need to go back to 1.1.2 anymore(was necessary back in the days when I installed it), according to the first post.

Just do what it says, download the nightly build and run the firmware update option (nightly builds contains a 1.1.3 firmware file).
You can't screw up that easily...
The firmware update only has to be done once, then you're camera is prepared to run magic lantern forever on.
When a new build comes out, just throw away the magic lantern files on your memory card and put the new build files on it  8)

If you're doing things right, you're camera can run a piece of software(magic lantern) from your SD card.
So if you put in a blank card, nothing bad happens, you're camera is just the way it was when you bought it.

Only thing comes to mind is that your battery should be fully charged before doing the firmware update, you don't wanna run out of power during a firmware update  :D
But that's the same canon will say, when you do a normal firmware update...

Go on, try it, live on the edge !
You got nothing to lose, except a camera that cost you 1500 dollar   ;D

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Levas on July 19, 2014, 10:25:36 PMSo if you put in a blank card, nothing bad happens, you're camera is just the way it was when you bought it.

That's not the whole story. The cam's bootflag will still be set, causing a delay up to 1,5-2 seconds recovering from sleep.

Levas

That's what I call nothing bad...a 2 second delay, at least you don't end up with a bricked camera  :D
I believe kbeecher means, when you accidentately put in a blank card someday...

But you're right, if you don't want to use magic lantern anymore for a long time, you're better of by resetting the boot flag (see first post)

Levas

@audionut and @nikfreak

I saw something about RAW_PHOTO_EDMAC in the sheet nikfreak made.
Read the word solved. Does this mean full res silent picture is coming available in the nightly builds ?

kbeecher

Again, thank you Levas!

This has eased my fears even more. Just remembered having to do a bit more when i put a nightly build on my T2I and wanted to make sure everything was peachy keen. I will most likely be trying it here shortly after i get work done.

kbeecher

Also, i forgot one other thing. Does anyone know what will happen if i install ML fine on my 6d, and then accidently put a card that has ML for my T2i in it? Will it load? Do nothing? explode, or turn into a 1DX?

Walter Schulz

The cam will get stuck. Remove battery and card: Cam will get unstuck.

kbeecher

kbeecher

OK, not really sure what i was sweating. Just as easy as the other camera. lol.

Alrighty, fun time.

nikfreak

Quote from: Levas on July 19, 2014, 08:01:04 PM
Using magic lantern for 6d since oktober 2013.

Not sure myself therefore I marked this blue. But I understood it like solved at least there were comments about edmac being same as 5dmk3 and resolution seems to be found, too.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

FlMuPhi198

So I noticed that people were having trouble reverting their 5dmk3 to stock. If I install this for my 6d is there any way to completely revert it back to stock. Not just wipe the card and not have the menu? People were saying something about a bootflag?

I used and loved magic lantern on my 60d but I never tried uninstalling it.

Thanks!

Levas

In the first post of this topic, you can read how to uninstall magic lantern.

DennisGat

Hi! New here...

I was recording in RAW and had a few questions:

1. I set the resolution to 1280x720 and when I record, the live view shrinks in size to about 3/5th the normal viewable screen. Is this normal and are there any workarounds?

2. Which RAW recording module should I start with? The MLV version (2.0) or the RAW (1.0)? Which is better or more stable?

3. Is there a way to view the RAW or MLV video files on the camera? I tried using the file manager but was unsuccessful.

Thank you in advance!