Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: coutts on December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM
Nightly builds: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

-- a1ex

Apon

Quote from: Apon on June 24, 2014, 09:31:06 AM
Dear All:

Pardon me if it is not the right forum to discuss. But I need desperately your help.

i). Wish : To install ML in my Canon 6D.
ii). My set up : Canon 6D and MacPro OS 10.9.2
iii). I have followed the steps :

Download .RAR file: bit.ly/1auplFt
1. Download and extract .rar file.
2. Check if 6D is running 1.1.2 firmware.
3. Put "Canon 1.1.2 Firmware" .fir file on SD card and install it on 6D. Format SD card on computer.
4. Put "Files to run Magic Lantern on 6D Firmware 1.1.2" three files on SD card root directory.
5. Install ML 1.1.2 on 6D (in "M" dial mode). Turn off and pull batteries out and format SD card on computer (VERY IMPORTANT).
6. Put "Canon 1.1.3 Firmware" .fir file on SD card and install it on 6D. Turn off 6D, take out 7. SD card and put it into computer.
7.  Run "EOScard.exe" program on PC. Check off "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTDISK". Press save.
8. On computer erase all files on SD card.
9. Put "Files to run Magic Lantern of 6D Firmware 1.1.3" three files on SD card root directory.
10. Put SD card back into 6D and turn it on. Magic Lantern is now installed!

I have done till number 6 but cant do the number 7 point in my Mac. I cant open any .exe file. I have taken my card from Mac to Windows PC and try to do the instruction. But it is not working.

Now I am stuck with my camera and scared to do anything without help from you.

Kindly help me how can I install ML in my 6D using Mac.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards.

I did all the above things for my 6D. And hope that ML is installed properly.

1) When I on my camera and hit the trash button then I find a ML menu.
2) But after few seconds that disappear. Is it normal?
3) how do I shoot video or still with ML. cant understand? pls help
4) After shoot how can I process?

Sorry for the silly questions.

a1ex

You did not install ML. Please follow the instructions from the first post of this thread.

@moderators: please remove the references to old install guides, because they only serve to create confusion.

erox76

Quote from: a1ex on June 24, 2014, 05:16:04 PM
You did not install ML. Please follow the instructions from the first post of this thread.

@moderators: please remove the references to old install guides, because they only serve to create confusion.
So we no longer need that long drawn out TL install process? and it will make the card bootable? that's sweet ok...I will mod my posts to reflect
Well either way, the install guide i reffered them to sends them here anyway now!

85holmberg

Quote from: a1ex on June 11, 2014, 12:28:36 AM
The firmware checksum done by ML at startup will tell you.

Thanks a1ex!

Will the checksum display as an "error mesage" at startup (if wrong), or shall i manuale seek it somewhere?

And if checksum is OK, is there any thing special to be carefull with in this case? Can ML change gps-settings that can lead to fault in the non-gps-model?

//Fredrik
Using Tapatalk

a1ex

If the checksum doesn't match, it will not boot.

If the GPS hardware is not present, and you change that setting with ML, the end result can be anything between no effect at all, and permanent brick. The only way to tell is to try it, but you do this at your own risk. I can't guarantee a recovery if anything goes wrong.

85holmberg

Thanks alot for your fast reply :)

I'm well awere of that ML is my own risk as user :P
(and I have used it succsessfully on 650d for a year)

I have heard that ML now has features to turn off GPS on the "standard" version of 6D. But i guess that it not "mess" with the GPS settings by default if i not activate this tweaks manually?
Using Tapatalk

a1ex

Right.

But in this case, you may be the first who tries the GPS tweak on a camera without this hardware. And since properties (Canon settings) are persistent, and sometimes without proper safeguards in Canon code, I thought it's worth mentioning.

85holmberg

But I don't have to test the GPS tweaks, right?

Or is it unavoidable to use a recent ML on 6D without running the tweaks?
Using Tapatalk

a1ex

erox76

Afraid I know little about the development of this kind of project, but is there an emulator for the Dev-Kit? Or is that not something that can be done or is it unnecessary or something someone would have to build themselves from scratch?

Apon

Quote from: a1ex on June 24, 2014, 05:16:04 PM

Dear a1ex,

Sorry if read you wrong. Should I follow :
Installation:
Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

Question :
1. Where do i get the ML files? What is the link to copy ML files. Pls guide.
2. I have tried with 2 cards so many times and i guess i have formatted my card already around 50 times. My cards are 32gb class 10. Should I need to buy new card and try?

Sorry to bother you. Please help.

Best regards

Apon

a1ex

@Apon: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/ (take a recent build that did not fail)

@erox76: most of ML code can be emulated in QEMU: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2864.msg117430#msg117430

It's in early stage, but already usable for debugging many things, like the boot process, or ML menus, or VRAM overlays like histogram or screen layout, or even stepping through ML source code in a debugger (this one deserves a tutorial).

Apon

Quote from: a1ex on June 25, 2014, 07:29:32 AM

:( Sorry a1ex for bothering you again and again. :-[ I have found the followings when I tried to get the recent build. Any hope or any other link you are mentioning for me?

"Select your platform:   
Latest Build
This Build Failed!
Built on: 2014-05-24 04:37:54 +0600
Changeset: "

If i get the full link with steps I may be lucky with my 6D and ML. Pls help.
Best regards

erox76

Quote from: Apon on June 25, 2014, 08:33:10 AM
Quote from: a1ex on June 25, 2014, 07:29:32 AM

:( Sorry a1ex for bothering you again and again. :-[ I have found the followings when I tried to get the recent build. Any hope or any other link you are mentioning for me?

"Select your platform:   
Latest Build
This Build Failed!
Built on: 2014-05-24 04:37:54 +0600
Changeset: "

If i get the full link with steps I may be lucky with my 6D and ML. Pls help.
Best regards

after you click the button...it will say build failed...first button on right says show older builds, Just keep hitting that until you find a build that did not fail... which will be Date: 2014-05-21 18:37:47 -0400  which i have been running without issue!

VideoDude65

Is it true that I can't shoot 1920x1080 in raw?

Apon

Quote from: erox76 on June 25, 2014, 12:38:36 PM
after you click the button...it will say build failed...first button on right says show older builds, Just keep hitting that until you find a build that did not fail... which will be Date: 2014-05-21 18:37:47 -0400  which i have been running without issue!

Dear erox76,

There is no such build that you have mentioned. Only build I have found close to your date for 6D.113 is
Date: 2014-05-21 04:37:47 +0600.

Am I missing something important. Please help.

Best regards.

erox76

Quote from: Apon on June 25, 2014, 06:23:50 PM
Dear erox76,

There is no such build that you have mentioned. Only build I have found close to your date for 6D.113 is
Date: 2014-05-21 04:37:47 +0600.

Am I missing something important. Please help.

Best regards.
then your not looking hard enough that was copied directly from the page!!! When I click show older builds, reading down the list Date: 2014-05-21 18:37:47 -0400 is the last stable build for the 6D!! But when you download it the file will say its from may 22 magiclantern-Nightly.2014May22.6D113.zip

erox76

Quote from: Museicmn on June 20, 2014, 10:05:08 AM
Very sorry if this is answered somewhere else, I just can't find the answer anywhere, I have searched all over these forums and Google in general, it's regarding mlv_play. Everywhere I read I find to view RAW video files in camera I need to load the MLV_Play module, but I can't find it in the build I'm using. Even under the forum post "Canon 6D raw preview on DSLR", someone advises to find that module and turn it on, and the other user thanks them for the advice, he doesn't say he can't find it.
I'm using the nightly build from May 22, "magiclantern-Nightly.2014May22.6D113" the modules that I do list are -
6D_113.sym
arkanoid.mo
autoexpo.mo
deflick.mo
dot_tune.mo
dual_iso.mo
ettr.mo
file_man.mo
mlv_rec.mo
mlv_snd.mo
pic_view.mo
raw_rec.mo
silent.mo

No MLV_Play anywhere. Advice? Thanks so much.
I finally got around to playing the raw video functions and having issues as well as not being able to find mlv_play Module anywhere, did this become unstable and get removed?

a1ex

Get it from an older build.

When the nightly builds will be resumed (I'm still waiting for the stub test results), mlv_play will be included again. Most of the missing stubs were required by mlv_play (and the build system removes modules with missing dependencies).

RazorBlack95

Hi, i've just install ML on my 6D. First i want con congratulated with you for your beautiful works!!! In second i want to ask how can i star to REC in RAW 14-bit.

I have two questions:
1) Is better using RAW Recording v1.0 or RAW Recording v2.0!? (i think the second one)
2) How can i start to REC in this format!?

Sorry but a newer of this project and i need your help. ;)

Thanks a lot!!!  ;)

erox76

Quote from: VideoDude65 on June 25, 2014, 05:09:22 PM
Is it true that I can't shoot 1920x1080 in raw?
Apparently so.. I believe this is due to the write speeds to cards is capped at around 40-50 mbs on the 6D! If they put CF cards instead of sd...no problem

albertang

Hi. I have Canon 6D with Tragic Lantern inside it (firmware is already 1.1.3)
I'm thinking to delete it and replace it with ML.
What steps should I do? From my understanding I should do just a1ex instructed:

Do I need to remove TL from my camera first? Or is there any extra step to avoid TL to clash with ML?
Thank you.

Apon

Quote from: erox76 on June 25, 2014, 09:43:07 PM
then your not looking hard enough that was copied directly from the page!!! When I click show older builds, reading down the list Date: 2014-05-21 18:37:47 -0400 is the last stable build for the 6D!! But when you download it the file will say its from may 22 magiclantern-Nightly.2014May22.6D113.zip

Hi erox76 and a1ex,
I dont know what is I am missing.
1. There is no such build with the name of Date: 2014-05-21 18:37:47 -0400.
2. I looked very heard and didnt found any build with extension of -0400, sorry.
3. Closest and latest build I have downloaded Date: 2014-05-22 04:37:47 +0600 and Date: 2014-05-21 04:37:48 +0600. I have tried both.
4. I followed the steps as a1ex wrote in the beginning of this post.
a) format my card in my camera
b) insert card in my Mac.
c) Copied all the files (2 files+1 folder) from the build.
d) inserted the card into my camera
e) update firmware. Green menu as a1ex shown apperad on the screen. wait for 30 secs according to the screen instruction
f) restart camera
g) hit the trash button.

Nothing happened.

I have tried with both the builds. But it was same result all the time.

Am I doing something wrong?

My card : scan disk extreme 45MB/s, class 10 , 32 GB
My laptop : MacPro
Camera : 6D

Please help me I need to be success to install this.

Best reagrds.

Apon

peramika

Hi everyone!
First I wont to thank you all good people here working on this idea. I m using ML for a while first on my 60d and now on my 6d.
I instaled ML and it works I have sandisc 95mb/s. I m interested in recording raw mlv on 6d. I saw this http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0 and it is written that it is posible to record 1792px. How is this posible I only menage to record
at setings in canon many 1920 at 25fps without sound i can make
-1344x756 25sec
-1472 10sec
-1504 7sec
-1536 5sec
-1600 3sec
Please can someone explain me how to set camera to menage to record 1792?