Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

Quote from: Levas on June 08, 2014, 10:54:02 AM
I did see that it is broken for the last weeks, is this gonna be fixed, I believe Alex is the only one with a 6d right ? (Besides 1% who has it's tragic lantern)

Nope, alex doesn't have got a 6d and doesn't want one. 1% seems to be still around somewhat, but doesn't update his TL repo anymore, I guess he now keeps his 6d patches to himself after the recent commotion.

There are some users who can code to some extent around, but no one seems to be willing or have time to volunteer as a 6d maintainer.... so I fear that once there will be some ML refactoring or other in-depth changes the 6d will be left in the dust. Alas, as you said, it's "usable" now so it could be worse.

vovkinson

save money, sell you 6d and buy 5dIII (that's what I did) . Everybody knows 6d is not good for video. Want to spend less money - face limitations.

Quote from: Marsu42 on June 08, 2014, 02:02:50 PM
Nope, alex doesn't have got a 6d and doesn't want one. 1% seems to be still around somewhat, but doesn't update his TL repo anymore, I guess he now keeps his 6d patches to himself after the recent commotion.

There are some users who can code to some extent around, but no one seems to be willing or have time to volunteer as a 6d maintainer.... so I fear that once there will be some ML refactoring or other in-depth changes the 6d will be left in the dust. Alas, as you said, it's "usable" now so it could be worse.

Marsu42

Quote from: vovkinson on June 08, 2014, 02:15:34 PM
Everybody knows 6d is not good for video.

Video? Why would I do video? What's video anyway?

dmilligan

Levas

Quote from: vovkinson on June 08, 2014, 02:15:34 PM
save money, sell you 6d and buy 5dIII (that's what I did) . Everybody knows 6d is not good for video. Want to spend less money - face limitations.

:-\ Nobody was whining about video limitations...
It's about keeping the 6d up to date with the nightly builds  :D

thunder storm

I have 6D, and I am up for any kind of test/build you want to test.

Marsu42

Quote from: thunder storm on June 10, 2014, 06:59:54 PM
I have 6D, and I am up for any kind of test/build you want to test.

Ok then please do this (iso sequences with raw_diag):

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg117955#msg117955

and this (shoot test charts for silent zoom bracket test):

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg118232#msg118232

a1ex

Also, for those who didn't notice it from the main nightly builds thread:

Quote from: a1ex on May 30, 2014, 01:03:59 PM
Still waiting for 5D2, 500D and 6D.

Quote from: a1ex on June 03, 2014, 02:38:43 PM
Here's a tutorial for finding the missing stubs: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12177

85holmberg

I hope it's okay that a barrow the thread for a fast question :)

Does anyone here know if ML works with 6D(n)?

(The cheaper version w/o wifi and GPS)

//Fredrik
Using Tapatalk

Marsu42

Quote from: 85holmberg on June 10, 2014, 11:44:19 PM
Does anyone here know if ML works with 6D(n)?

I'd guess "yes" because they seem to share the same firmware, the crippled version just lacks some hardware so supposedly the fw detects this and just disables/hides the according menu items.

a1ex

The firmware checksum done by ML at startup will tell you.

nargetdev

Hello world!

I thought I'd introduce myself.  I'll be spending a good bit of time hacking on ML/porting for the 6D this summer (I shoot 6D if not obvious).  I'm currently at 'zero' but I assume it won't be long before I'll be making useful contributions to the community.  I'm flying out to Austin Texas day after tomorrow to collaborate with this awesome little startup called "Cinetics" and I'll be doing video day in and day out for the next few months (and not just plain vanilla video).  I'm stoked to tap into ML's fps tweaking and intervalometer amongst other things (i.e. rack/trap focus).

I'm currently reading heavy into the general dev discussion to get my bearings, and hopefully I'll have a sensible workflow before long, but any advice you can give to a n00b is much appreciated  :P  I work on a mac (I'm tri-boot ready:  OS X/Ubuntu/Win8), and I've got plenty of object oriented programming, and UNIX experience.

Peace n Love

RTLdan

Hello Nargetdev!
As a fellow 6D shooter, and as someone who has dabbled in the most basic programming, I just
want to encourage you and say I'm glad that someone else is interested in maintaining the 6D!

I keep having thoughts of trying to get into ML development -- but then I read the stuff  these guys are talking about in the dev. forums and I find myself so lost that I realize I'm a long ways from hacking cameras!  :P

So anyhow, more power to you! Hope to see the 6D back in the game this summer!
Cheers!
-Daniel

Marsu42

Quote from: nargetdev on June 11, 2014, 08:33:50 AM
I'm currently reading heavy into the general dev discussion to get my bearings, and hopefully I'll have a sensible workflow before long, but any advice you can give to a n00b is much appreciated  :P

Great to hear you're on the 6d, coding most ML stuff is not that difficult *but* you have to find your way through the code first and get an impression how the Canon fw does things (props. av/tv/iso values in 8-steps, ...). Then most things just take a lot of time: finding stubs, testing alex' modules, wrestling with small incompatibilities.

For me, the thing I had to learn is that coding for ML works best "en block" without interruptions, or I forget too much about the whole thing again. You also have to be motivated enough to swap the sd card every other minute from camera to computer to test new code and have to live with very basic log/info box debugging which is not ideal for many cases. A good frustration tolerance certainly helps.

Last not least, it takes a loooooong time from the "works for me on my camera" stage to polish code enough to run on *all* models and have a nice and cozy gui. You'll learn that once your code is in the bitbucket pull request queue, open for comments :-p ... I admit this is usually the stage where I stall because if it "just works" I'd rather get out and take pictures than continue to sit behind a screen.

Levas

Quote from: Marsu42 on June 11, 2014, 10:47:07 AM
I admit this is usually the stage where I stall because if it "just works" I'd rather get out and take pictures than continue to sit behind a screen.

That said, "just works"  :D does anybody here have an experimental "just works" version available (for 6d) where you can use a native iso lower then iso 100 ?
I'v read somewhere in the mini-iso threads that there is a native iso of 67 or lower on the 5d mark III, don't know what the lowest possible native iso on 6d is ? ::)

a1ex

Hold on... you want the finished thing, but you are not willing to do some simple tests required for developing it?

Quote from: Marsu42 on June 10, 2014, 10:26:31 PM
Ok then please do this (iso sequences with raw_diag):

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg117955#msg117955

and this (shoot test charts for silent zoom bracket test):

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg118232#msg118232

Levas

Ofcourse I would like the finished thing  8)

But I get your point  Alex :D

I do remember reading the topic in the first link in the past, but now I read it again I see I missed the part that says "No need to compile". (Often it requires compiling to test the newest stuff)
I've downloaded the module and will try to do the iso tests in the next few days.

Have to take some more time to read the second link, interesting stuff about the pixel binning difference between the 5d3 and the other camera's (Need to read that again without my kids jumping around in the room... very distracting ;D)
But I couldn't find the part where our help is needed, shall read it when the kids are a sleep.

Levas

jpfowl

I'm new to the forums but I have a 6D now and some coding experience in various languages. Point me in a direction and I can learn it pretty quick. What do we need done?

Levas

Quote from: jpfowl on June 15, 2014, 08:58:28 AM
I'm new to the forums but I have a 6D now and some coding experience in various languages. Point me in a direction and I can learn it pretty quick. What do we need done?

My guess would be that you start in this forumtopic:

Topic: Getting started with development
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991.0

Don't know if you're running ML already on your camera, If not then you can read here how to install ML on your camera:

Topic: 6D - Install guide and raw shooting.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5530.0

Levas

See my results in the link posted in my previous post:

In the lower iso's the full well capacity is about 3,4 times larger in video mode(1080p) VS photo mode on the 6d
In the higher iso's the full well capacity is about 4 times larger in video mode(1080p) VS photo mode on the 6d

Don't know if my understanding about full well capacity is correct, but could that mean that the 6d in video mode uses a 4 pixel binning method ?

List of the results posted in the link in my previous post:

Canon 6D
         Full Well Capacity Dyn.Range             Full Well Capacity Dyn.Range
ISO                Photo mode                                      Video Mode
100           79546e           11,48EV                   274301e             11,84EV
200           42220e           11,49EV                   142616e             11,82EV
400           20643e           11,28EV                     75858e             11,75EV
800           10482e           11,00EV                     39219e             11,62EV
1600           5215e           10,55EV                     19868e             11,38EV
3200           2568e             9,87EV                     10092e             10,95EV
6400           1271e             9,11EV                       4931e             10,47EV
12800           556e             8,04EV                       2408e               9,44EV
25600           371e             7,10EV                         X                      X

Museicmn

Very sorry if this is answered somewhere else, I just can't find the answer anywhere, I have searched all over these forums and Google in general, it's regarding mlv_play. Everywhere I read I find to view RAW video files in camera I need to load the MLV_Play module, but I can't find it in the build I'm using. Even under the forum post "Canon 6D raw preview on DSLR", someone advises to find that module and turn it on, and the other user thanks them for the advice, he doesn't say he can't find it.
I'm using the nightly build from May 22, "magiclantern-Nightly.2014May22.6D113" the modules that I do list are -
6D_113.sym
arkanoid.mo
autoexpo.mo
deflick.mo
dot_tune.mo
dual_iso.mo
ettr.mo
file_man.mo
mlv_rec.mo
mlv_snd.mo
pic_view.mo
raw_rec.mo
silent.mo

No MLV_Play anywhere. Advice? Thanks so much.

nikfreak

Anyone care to share ROM1.BIN of EOS 6D with me?. Just wanted to disassemble it and follow alex's "finding stubs" tutorial cause today I ordered a 6D. Might take some days to arrive and in the meantime I could try to help in finding missing stubs.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

nikfreak

EOS 6D V113
NSTUB(0xFF3327F0,  FIO_SeekSkipFile)

Can anyone check if that's right???

nikfreak

To answer myself. these seem to be ok after spending some time to recheck. I will post GUI timer stubs later, too.