Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterTosh

Quote from: dmilligan on April 23, 2014, 04:14:23 PM
In scenes with a lot of motion/detail H.264 can look like terrible. Even a lower resolution RAW footage may outperform the H.264 at a higher resolution in terms of detail preservation, same would go for motion artifacts. Additionally, having the extra dynamic range and color depth, may be more valuable than simply having higher resolution.

Makes sense - thanks!

javapop

I am using the latest 1% build https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads and have tried most functions out. This build does enable headset monitoring via USB without disabling LC screen.

It doesn't appear that wifi is working on this build though. Need to run a few more tests though.

bandgap

Hello everyone!
I am new with ML and I can't install it. I donwloaded the latest nightly build, copied all the files of the archive to the SD card as it written in the manual on the first page. ML says it was installed, bootflag was also installed, and then the program asked to reboot the camera. I switched off it, took out the battery and inserted again and switched the camera again. But nothing happened, Canon stock firmware is still there. I tried to flash the camera with the original firmware available from the first page of thes thread, but nithing helped.

Could someone help me please to figure out what I've done wrong?
PS. The camera was bought in Germany in December 2013, if this relevant.

PeterTosh

Quote from: bandgap on April 27, 2014, 11:48:48 AM
Hello everyone!
I am new with ML and I can't install it. I donwloaded the latest nightly build, copied all the files of the archive to the SD card as it written in the manual on the first page. ML says it was installed, bootflag was also installed, and then the program asked to reboot the camera. I switched off it, took out the battery and inserted again and switched the camera again. But nothing happened, Canon stock firmware is still there. I tried to flash the camera with the original firmware available from the first page of thes thread, but nithing helped.

Could someone help me please to figure out what I've done wrong?
PS. The camera was bought in Germany in December 2013, if this relevant.

What version of the firmware do you have installed?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: bandgap on April 27, 2014, 11:48:48 AM
But nothing happened, Canon stock firmware is still there.

ML doesn't replace Canon's firmware but runs like a program on top of an operating system.
Press trashcan button to access ML menu.

bandgap

Quote from: PeterTosh on April 27, 2014, 01:19:53 PM
What version of the firmware do you have installed?
It's 1.1.3.
Walter Schulz, thank you.
However I have another problem. When I try to load dual_iso.mo, I have following errors: 1)undefined symbol "FIO_open"
2) undefined symbol "tmp_free_suit"
3) [E] failed to load modules.

Is there anyway to overcome it?

bandgap

Oh, the problem with booting the dual_iso module was solved after I reinstalled ML. Thank you guys for your kind replies!

javapop

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 26, 2014, 12:36:11 PM
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11080.0

Garsh.... that truly is tragic. Just order a 6D...

How can I get involved with ironing out bugs? I'd really like to see headphone monitoring working. Would be glad to pass along observations and notes!

pio_hyun

Quote from: javapop on April 29, 2014, 05:15:21 AM
Garsh.... that truly is tragic. Just order a 6D...

How can I get involved with ironing out bugs? I'd really like to see headphone monitoring working. Would be glad to pass along observations and notes!

My advice for you is just cancel your order now and pay more for mark 3 if you'd like to use raw video ^^

udugru

Hello! Just installed the build yesterday and am eager to help! By the way, great work so far!
I tried to use the fps override function at 0,2 fps, but in recording mode many things went wrong at once: fps setting was suddenly at 0,477. When i pressed record, the video split in 2, at about 1/3 of the height of my monitor. The top video was oddly white and the bottom one had normal colors flickering pink. Additionally when i pressed stop the bottom part became white and the top bart got pink and completely distorted. This is then exactly how the video file looked like in preview.

I wanted to try and make a time-lapse, but i obviously need longer intervals than 2 seconds.
The other problem is my fast draining batter - any way to switch off the display while recording? :)

A bug: In movie mode, press the rubbish button to enter ML interface, navigate anywhere, 3 seconds later the interface disappears and you see live view again :(

Unrelated question: How safe is the use of dual iso on the 6d? anyone use it for a long period yet?

I REALLY want to help and have time on my hands so, if someone with coding skills and a bit of ML knowledge is ready to fix bugs I would be happy to test everything in detail and write extensive reports of the bugs.

Thanks a lot!

GiDesign

I also tried installing, a couple hours ago.
and it says installed successfully but i see nothing different. i love this camera and still prefer it above the others but i guess its not popular enough for dedicated dev?

any ideas?

Marsu42

Quote from: GiDesign on May 05, 2014, 03:54:44 AM
but i guess its not popular enough for dedicated dev?

Well, the devs seem to be able to afford a 5d3, I would if I could :-p

Quote from: GiDesign on May 05, 2014, 03:54:44 AM
any ideas?

Learn to code and become a dev yourself? Or be happy ML works at all on the 6d as it's basically unmaintained.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: GiDesign on May 05, 2014, 03:54:44 AMand it says installed successfully but i see nothing different.

Do you have tried to press trashcan button?

jmf300

i have a question which might be silly, does ML have to stay as a file on your sd card otherwise it will not work?

thanks

Walter Schulz

And here we go again ...
You need three things to make ML work:
1. Cam with bootflag set (has to be done once)
2. Bootable card (has to be set once for each card and done again if boot option is lost (format via PC/cardreader))
3. ML files on card (Autoexec.bin and ML directory)

jmf300

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 05, 2014, 11:46:35 PM
And here we go again ...
You need three things to make ML work:
1. Cam with bootflag set (has to be done once)
2. Bootable card (has to be set once for each card and done again if boot option is lost (format via PC/cardreader))
3. ML files on card (Autoexec.bin and ML directory)

thanks and sorry about being a pain. i see this is a far annoying topic by now

halley

Quote from: udugru on May 04, 2014, 12:53:11 AM
I tried to use the fps override function at 0,2 fps, but in recording mode many things went wrong at once: fps setting was suddenly at 0,477. When i pressed record, the video split in 2, at about 1/3 of the height of my monitor. The top video was oddly white and the bottom one had normal colors flickering pink. Additionally when i pressed stop the bottom part became white and the top bart got pink and completely distorted. This is then exactly how the video file looked like in preview.

I have also had this problem.  I reported it to the Bitbucket page (as this forum gives a link to go report bugs).  You can sign up for Bitbucket (separate login from this forum) and add your images as a comment to my bug report, if you like.

Quote from: udugru on May 04, 2014, 12:53:11 AM
A bug: In movie mode, press the rubbish button to enter ML interface, navigate anywhere, 3 seconds later the interface disappears and you see live view again :(

This bug had already been reported on the Bitbucket site.  It's a widely reported problem, and they're discussing what to do about it.  In the meantime, turn off live view to make Magic Lantern settings changes, then go back to live view.

JTsai

Issue report:
100/2.8 Macro focus stacking fail.

Observations:
1. arrow key (up/down/left/right) focus adjustment works. Script execution OK and pictures are taken. But there is no AF operation during the execution of script. Focus is not changed. I've tried 1:1 and 3m, both fail. My conclusion -- something is wrong between the script and the focus command.
2. Everything works fine with other lenses, 24-70/4L, 24/2.8 IS, even old 50/2.5 macro (no focus report but everything else is OK).

April 09 nightly build.

a1ex

Does it help if you try a focus stack with silent pictures?

I remember some issues where focus commands couldn't be sent right after taking a picture (maybe the delay needs to be increased).

JTsai

I've repeated the sequence about 5~10 times with 100/2.8 macro and I can do it correctly with all other lenses I listed, therefore I think it's not the same problem you described.

I had 550D (just sold) and ML2.3. Focus stacking seems to work fine back then.
The UI for focus stacking changed in 6D version. I think it should be something related to 6D only.

peter221

hi guys i might be doing something wrong but can't bring up the elapsed time indicator during recording. I have to hit INFO to bring up the Canon counter.
Any solutions?

matthew19

The green/ magenta shift that was in the old release is now gone from the live view menu. It use to have the number (i.e. M3) right next to the kevlin white balance.

javapop

I just noticed that the 6D lists headphone monitoring under http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features

Has this been added recently in the nightly builds? It wasn't working on the last version I tried, a couple weeks ago.

JTsai

Quote from: JTsai on May 07, 2014, 11:16:38 AM
Issue report:
100/2.8 Macro focus stacking fail.

Observations:
1. arrow key (up/down/left/right) focus adjustment works. Script execution OK and pictures are taken. But there is no AF operation during the execution of script. Focus is not changed. I've tried 1:1 and 3m, both fail. My conclusion -- something is wrong between the script and the focus command.
2. Everything works fine with other lenses, 24-70/4L, 24/2.8 IS, even old 50/2.5 macro (no focus report but everything else is OK).

April 09 nightly build.

First I should write full name of the lens. It is not 100/2.8 macro. It is 100/2.8 macro USM.

After more tests, I found 100/2.8 macro USM works with step size mode 2/3, but not step size mode 1. I was confused by the name "step size". But since it is defined by Canon, we had to follow it anyway. However, actual unit is not related to that number!

Step size mode 1 means extremely fine, step size mode 2 means fine, step size mode 3 means coarse. There's nothing true about the number.

24-70/4L in step size mode 1 gives approximately 40 steps from Inf to 5m.
70-200/4L in step size mode 1 gives approximately 260 steps from Inf to 5m. In step size mode 2 gives approximately 27 steps from Inf to 5m.

ML UI also leads to some confusion. FF-- is sending focus command in step size mode with larger number. FF- is sending focus command in current step size mode. And ML counts the focus steps in a mixed way. But that is not correct. There is no fixed relation among different step size modes. I found it varies from lens to lens.

For some temporally fix about this issue, I would suggest modifying the field Focus stacking-->Focus steps /picture.
Current version there is only 1-10. This is too small for step size 1 setting. 1-30 or more might be required.

And in the long run I think the UI or focus commands behind should be modified to avoid mixing of focus command in different step size settings.

And sorry I don't have other Canon DSLR with me right now. But now I guess this is not 6D specific. It should be an issue with all other camera models as well.